Author Topic: Employees, as a general rule.....  (Read 2959 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Employees, as a general rule.....
« on: January 05, 2005, 09:31:01 PM »
So those of you on the board who are under 18, I put it to you.

If you are in high school and you get a part time job, what part of the teenage brain makes you think you can show up late, not do the work you're being paid to do, and disobey rules, and then NOT understand when you're fired?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Employees, as a general rule.....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 09:36:21 PM »
Laziness always worked for me.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 09:54:05 PM »
The answer I got from the 18 year kid who works at my place is "I'm the boss's son so I can do what I want."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:54:18 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 09:57:12 PM »
did he get fired anyway? (I hope?)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 10:05:12 PM »
At my place, no he's still here. Though he didn't show up for work today, which is like the 12th time in the past 4 months or so. It's almost a weekly thing. But his dad has no concept of how to be accountable himself, so why would he expect his son to be acountable.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:55:45 PM »
Fuzzy, I do not know. The only explanation is that the teen obviously isn't too bright, and is probably very arrogant beside that. I feel ashamed that I am in a demographic with this individual.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 11:16:09 PM »
Well, one of these young persons (of the age 17) is quite the illustrious Bad-girl. So me and this other guy are being quite honestly sarcastic to her, and just fooling around. She then gets bitterly upset at this and starts telling EVERYONE that what we had said to her. I mean, everyone. The managers, the supervisors, the other employees. Oy. As she'd pass by me she'd just give me dirty looks. I swear, this girl is the end-all be-all (excuse me here but I must use it) bitch. I'm almost ready to complain about her to my manager. Oooohh.h....
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 12:34:23 AM »
We had a guy who works at the wine store not show up, call or anything for two weeks. The assistant manager called his house, and asked if he was there, and this brilliant kid said,... "um no." and then hung up. Of course he did have a pretty good sob story that would have been ok if he actually told anyone about it while it was going on.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 01:15:38 AM »
Well, fuzzy, if it makes you feel better, getting fired/laid-off/let go is one of those life experiences that really sucks for most people, but often turns into one of those life-building experience.

So you were doing the kid a favor.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 01:16:00 AM by 42 »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 01:34:17 AM »

So you were doing the kid a favor.

I wish I were just talking about a single kid instead of a half dozen of them.

But regardless, you're right. So I guess it makes me feel somewhat better.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »
A few years back, I managed 10 pools for a Lifeguarding company.  
This also meant that I was managing a staff of 20-30 Highschool student Lifeguards.

I was constantly having to "cover" for these kids... But there was a guard shortage, so I couldnt replace them very well..

I had 1 location that had 2 pools.  Only 1 was open durring the week, and the second opened over the weekend for overflow...
The guard at the full time pool was supposed to check the Chem levels of the part-time pool EVERY day so that it was in servicable condition by the weekend.  

I get a call Friday morning... The pool is Green!  
I head out there... Green water with floating alge, 0 Chlorine and a PH WAY out of whack...  
Thank goodness  I had the "instinctive pool chemestry trait" (2 Skill Points at Level 5) I used granular chlorine, followed by Muriatic acid (To lower PH) to get that pool blue and safe-to-swim by Friday afternoon
Obviously, the guard hadn't lookeed into that pool...

Later that summer I got a call from another guard,  the pump was "making a weird noise"  
After getting over the shock that this guard was ACTUALY THERE (she had attendance issues) I arrive and go to the Pump room...  
In there I heard a definate "WIRR WIRR ping WIRR WIRR"
I was puzzled, and then noticed the source of the "ping"  
The metal needle on the preasure gague was banging against the max-pin OVER AND OVER (this is bad)
I quickly scan the pipes and valves....
Intake open
Backwash closed
Return closed
Water was bieng forced in and couldn't get out...
<creak><BOOM>
The back of the Highrate Sand Filter Splits open and water and sand slam into me like a Firehose (Imagine getting hit head on with a firehose and sandblaster combined)
I slam the massive frankenstine style power switch off and survey the destruction (this is an older hotel and got Grandfathered on some Building codes I guess)
I see the water rushing under a metal door on the far side of the pump room... That door has a lable
ELECTRICAL CLOSET

I jump up on the steps out of ankle deep water in time to hear a POP and see the light in the room go out.  

I walk back around to the pool
Guard: "look!  The water just went down in the pool!  And there is all this sand comming out of the returns! OMG What happened to YOU!?"
The front of me is covered with orange sand, micro abrasions and water...
ME: "Pools closed, go home"
Guard: "Uh, ok, will it be open tomorrow"
Me: "Doubtfull"
Guard: "ok so, will you call me when it opens?"
Me: "No, you can pick up your last check or we will mail it to you, I need to go tell the Hotel management why they have no pool and no power in their east wing... They wont want to see you when I finish, I'll lock up, you better go home now. "

Only person I have ever fired
Alles!!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 09:35:39 AM »
heh. That's a funny story. And I'll admit, it's partially because you almost died. Twice.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 09:58:27 AM »

what part of the teenage brain makes you think you can ...

My experiences from managing at MickeyD's:
1) They are a teenager, that's how (if) they think
2) They can always get some other schlep job for the same pay

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 12:26:28 PM »
I think in some cases that it is the first experience some of these teens have with work and accountability.  The instance of family chores/responsibilities is not as prevalent as it once was. Kinda sad. It's easier in the short term, but causes a lot of problems later.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 12:59:31 PM »
MoD has a point.
Growing up in a home where chores aer expected, makes one a better worker. Course this means parents have to be firm and consistant in enforcing the the doing of said chores. Said chores probably only being complete a quarter of the time.