Author Topic: The New Doctor Who  (Read 1947 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
The New Doctor Who
« on: March 06, 2005, 03:24:30 PM »
So even though the pilot isn't (as far as I know) scheduled to air until late March, a copy of the pilot was leaked out onto the lovely, blessed Internet, and i have now seen it.

As a fairly big Who fan, I was pleased with the how it turned out over all - I'll have to get over things like seeing computer animation in a dr. who episode, (and 1996-level animation at that), but Rose seems to be more than acceptable as a companion.  Her screams aren't quite up to par, so she's obviously going to be more of an Ace, and less of, say, a Sarah Jane.  She'll make Mary Sue's out of all of us blonde twenty-somethings who'd love an invitation to roam around the galaxy with the Doctor.  

I think Christopher Eccleston will do ok, but I've always had a problem looking at his face.  There just looks like there should be something wrong with it, like he has angles in the wrong places or something.

There's a little confusion on parts of the backstory to this - and there are some rumors that the leaked copy isn't the final version that they'll be airing, so maybe those will clear up.  For example, when he's in the apartment, the Doctor looks in the mirror and implies (by making comments about his reflection) that he's very very recently regenerated. But then later on in the episode, it's implied that he's spent quite a few adventures in his present shape.

The Doctor has some great Doctor-ish lines, and the TARDIS got a remodeling job (which saddens me), but hopefully we will avoid some of the horrific cannon pitfalls that occured with the 90's tv movie - like making the Eighth Doctor proclaim that he was half-human, the Tardis interior into a faux-cathedral that contains the Eye of Harmony (which is nuts since in the series it was on Gallifrey), and if the Master shows up again, hopefully he'll live up to series standards.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 03:25:04 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: The New Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 11:52:17 PM »
The SciFi Channel has decided NOT to pick up the new Dr. Who, which is rather depressing.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 12:05:53 AM »
Stupid of them, I think.  Oh well.  As long as there are philanthropic souls in the UK who will encode and  upload it to the internet, I will be a happy girl.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 12:06:50 PM »
Maybe they're referring to adventures that he is going to have in his new form, but they happened in the past--so they've already happened, but not yet. They've made some comments like that in the past, so they might be trying to do it again (like with Sylvester McCoy: "You were Merlin?" "Well, not yet, but it looks like I will be someday"). Of course, I say that without seeing the script, so I could be totally off.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
Hah. Amusing since a study found that britons are the people that download the most TV shows - and its usually because we want them when they get released in the US, not 8 months later after some corporate dicking about to find someone to show it in the UK. UK chaps often watch shows as little as 30 minutes after their US airing apparently, which amuses me.

Side note : someone still has to die for the hellboy stupidness. They released the film in the US. Then 4 months later out comes the DVD. And at that point it starts showing in the UK. In the cinemas. What? It took 4 months to send some tapes across on a boat?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:51:51 AM »
I don't remember the mirror scene in the version I saw. I was a big Baker fan back in the 70s/80s and never really watched outside of his episodes.
This new version is cheeky and cheesy...and I love it :)
But how did the mannequins get guns in them? Were they built that way to start?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 10:57:29 AM by Dex1138 »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 03:56:55 PM »
No clue whatsoever.  I guess they're leaving plot holes in for nostalgia factor.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 03:59:15 PM »
Plot holes add flavour!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 12:33:44 AM »
mmm cheese flavored Dr. Who.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 10:01:25 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:46:55 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 12:04:32 AM »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 05:10:36 PM »
Well, the new Doctor Who actor has already quit.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30754

I think his reasons are kind of lame. Seems more like he was afraid of success. Their are actors who manage to overcome type casting, simply by taking risks and being good at their work.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 09:44:15 PM »
Yeah, well phooey on him.

But due to a viewer count of almost 10 million on the premiere, BBC has already renewed for season 2!!!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 10:01:49 PM »
Someone managed to get 10 million brits to go in one direction at once?

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 10:36:39 PM »
That reminds me of a joke about Brits. "How many British people does it take to turn on the tele? I don't know, ask India." Zing!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo