Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

On Feruchemical 'Mistings'

<< < (2/20) > >>

Reaves:

--- Quote from: douglas on February 22, 2009, 05:33:47 PM ---Brassmind: Firefighter?

Walk right into a bonfire and start dumping all the heat into your brassminds so you don't burn.  Just be careful to stop at exactly the same time you get out of the fire so you don't end up a frozen popsicle.

--- End quote ---

Wow nice!! Thats a really great application!

Omelethead:
I like Keeper, Brute, Sentinel and Anchor. Those would be my choices for names.

CptSqweky:

--- Quote from: little_wilson on February 22, 2009, 08:23:28 AM ---My ideas:

Bronzemind: Insomniac

--- End quote ---

I like this one.

Turbolinux999:
miyabi:
Thank you very much for the welcome.  I know people on forums can seems like(Or be) asses, but I've used forums quite extensively in the past so I'm prepared.  ;)
Your point about Anchors got me thinking and second-guessing that name but, upon further thinking, I can't come up with a truly practical use for the 'make-yourself-lighter' effect that would outweigh the 'make-yourself-a-mobile-weight' effect.  Of course there should be exceptions to that, but I really think that the 'Anchor' ability would be the most obvious and frequently used effect.

CptSqweky:
I'm glad you liked at least some of my ideas.  I'll expand on some of the reasons for my choices for names and at the same time I'll voice my opinions about yours.

Steelmind:  Sprinter -- I didn't want it to be tied to running because stored speed can be put to use in any aspect of physical movement. Besides, how much speed would a Steelmind have to store to outrun a Thug in a pewterdrag(And live)?
Tinmind: Watcher. Or alternatively: Guard. Or maybe: Sentinel. -- Watcher and Guard are too much like common words and would generate confusion as the only way to tell if you higher a guard or a Guard is the capitalization.  I like Sentinel, but I think that that should be the name for a Bronzemind.
Zincmind: Genius. Or alternatively: Voluntary Seizure Victim -- Again, confusion over a common term.  Seizure? Maybe an Autistic... Maybe Autist?
Bronzemind: Caffeine addict -- Funny, I like it.  I think that Sentinel would be good for this one.
Goldmind: Immortal -- I like it, but it feels like it doesn't fit.  I think the Goldmind is going to be one of the more difficult to name...

little_wilson:
Insomniac works really well for a Bronzemind.  I'm not going to edit the line about Sentinels above, but it just occurred to me that it's too specific.  Insomniac is perfect.

douglas:
Something like that had never even occurred to me at all, it's genius.  And it would be perfect except for one thing: fire consumes oxygen.  I'd like to come up with something that conveys both concepts... What do you think of Sink? Like a heat sink; made to absorb heat and then radiate it back out.

I'm going to edit the first post with the best ideas(Properly credited to their creators) so that people know what's already been discussed.
Thanks for all the new input, but where is the wild speculation that I demanded?  Is there already a thread for that?  ;D

CptSqweky:

--- Quote from: Turbolinux999 on February 23, 2009, 09:16:43 AM ---
Zincmind: Genius. Or alternatively: Voluntary Seizure Victim -- Again, confusion over a common term.  Seizure? Maybe an Autistic... Maybe Autist?

--- End quote ---

Ummm... Just so you know, VSV was a joke. But it makes sense because a seizure happens when neural activity shoots up really high. There's a joke, I forget who said it, that goes: "I once used 90% of my brain. It was called a seizure." My wife has seizures, so I know a little bit about these things.
I don't know much about autism, though. Is excessive neural activity a common symptom? Like I said, I don't know much about it, but what little I do know would suggest that it's not, since its more of a genetic thing.

--- Quote from: Turbolinux999 on February 23, 2009, 09:16:43 AM ---
I'm going to edit the first post with the best ideas(Properly credited to their creators) so that people know what's already been discussed.

--- End quote ---

Also, you do know that "BEST" is an extremely subjective term, right? You can change it to what you think is best, but it seems as though everyone has had a different idea as to what is "best". I would suggest you say you've changed it to your favorites, otherwise... well... you just look stupid to all the people who disagree with you.
Also... DO NOT credit that "antic" thin to me. To be honest, I hate it, I think it's dumb, and I didn't come up with it, you did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version