Author Topic: Ironic things go here.  (Read 8759 times)

The Bot

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I have a PhD in comedy, & a diploma in..in..Fiona?
    • View Profile
    • Fantastic Fantasy
Re: Ironic things go here.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »
Someone needs to learn the difference between ironic and totally random!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:33:24 PM by The_Bot »
Frankly, I'm shocked. But, even more frankly, I'm always shocked.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 12:31:54 AM »
Man writes book about Donald Trump saying he's worth only 150-250 million dollars. Trump says nuh-uh, I'm worth 2.7 billion dollars, and you knew it, Mr. Author-Man! So Trump sues Mr. Author-Man.

For 5 BILLION DOLLARS.

I am not making this up...

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--trumplawsuit0124jan24,0,1490301.story
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 12:20:23 PM »
First of all, if people knowing he's only a millionaire and not a billionaire can ruin his reputation, that is sad (although I don't think most people even care much about Trump or how much he's worth). Second, if you go through the trouble to become not only rich, but in the public's eye, I think you're setting yourself up to be defamed. I personally would rather be rich and unknown (if possible). I don't hear stuff in the news about Steve Jobs or Michael Dell (who are worth approx. 3.4 billion and 14.2 billion respecively, stats given by the NY Times). That's because they don't push themselves in the public eye. Trump annoys me!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »
Trump's a chump. ;D haha. Sorry. Couldn't stop myself.

*Ahem* But here's something ironic, or at least amusingly random. I went to Emerson's bookstore to get Remains of the Day. They hand me the used book, and I glance at it while I'm in line. I glimpse the word "Wolverine" and think, "Huh, that's the mascot for UVSC back home."

To my surprise, I look closer and see that the book really *is* from UVSC's bookstore!! How weird is that? Of all the places a used copy of this book could come from, and here in Boston I find this book that came from a school that's seven minutes away from my place in Orem! huh.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 12:36:24 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2006, 01:55:11 PM »
*Shrug.* There are a number of former Utahns in Boston, so I'm not surprised.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 02:32:24 PM »
hmm. Well, I suppose you're right.

But I was thinking that Emerson had ordered a bunch of this novel, and for some reason, this one, printed in 1989, came directly from UVSC's bookstore rather than an individual or a different yet closer bookstore. I guess it makes more sense that a fellow Utahn happened to bring it out here.

But it's weird that this person would bring this used UVSC book all the way out here with them only to later sell it to Emerson's bookstore. And then I happen to get it. Wouldn't get much cash for this old PB, that's for sure. Odd. Presumably, that person would've had to find out that Emerson even -wanted- this book. Of course, there are lots of possible scenarios. ??? Still, it's kind of amusing, however it ended up here.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 04:26:09 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
This is my ironic moment for the day.

So I was on my way to my Abnormal Psych class when I decided to stop by the college bookstore to get a book for my stats class that I still hadn't picked-up. So I find the book in the back store and was relieved that it had finally come in.

The moment that I touch the textbook every alarm in the student center goes off. Doors start coming down and people get ushered out the building.

So I put the textbook back and exit with everyone else, hoping that I don't get caught.

Turnout that someone had brought a popcorn-maker into one of the conference rooms and it had triggered the alarm at the same time I touch the textbook.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 07:28:05 PM »
While I was trying to fix my car over the weekend, some friends were kind enough to loan us one of their cars for a couple of hours so we could get some groceries and other things. Unfortunately, their car broke down in the grocery store parking lot. Fortunately, I was able to get their car running in a much shorter amount of time then my own.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 01:55:25 AM »
So I was watching Spider-Man tonight, and I noticed something really interesting. You know that odd-shaped building they show with the neon "Daily Bugle" sign? Well, I didn't know this before, but it's actually the Flatiron building that houses Tor (and St. Martin's Press, too, for that matter)! Neato. I only recognized it this time because I wrote this full-blown profile of Tor last semester for by Book Pub class. How funny!
--Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 02:14:55 AM »
The Flatiron Building is one of the hallmark buildings in street-level shots of New York City, the way the Wrigley Building and Tribune Tower are always shown in shots of Chicago. The most famous picture of it was taken by one of my favorite photographers, the husband of Georgia O'Keeffe--whose name escapes me at the moment, dang it--back in the 1920s. So it's been a cool building for a long time.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 02:23:55 AM »
So it's been a cool building for a long time.

*nods* I know. I've seen it lots of times. But I never knew until last semester that it's the home of Tor. That's all.
--Spriggan

Apparently Not Egotistical

• Level 1
  • Catch me if you can...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »
rain on your wedding day is just a misfortune, not ironic.  why is it that no one realizes that?!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 04:45:11 PM »
I find it ironic that people care so much about that distinction.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 05:26:36 PM »
As long as the forum plays fast and loose with the termi ironic, I just have to say that I was at a meeting last friday night to get trained as a scout master and the person giving the meeting looked an awful lot like SE, then the number "42" kept on appearing at the bottom of power point presentation. I guess the ironic part was that meeting clogged up the only free night that I had last week, thus preventing me from doing any timewasting whatsoever.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »
I am everywhere. I'm ... omniverous.