Author Topic: Stupid Scams!!!  (Read 3465 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Stupid Scams!!!
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »
I got an email a week ago, supposedly from CareerBuilder.com, where I have my resume, posted for a job. It didn't sound at all legit. Their clients would send you money and then you would put it in your account and give the company the money through Western Union (I suppose you'd keep some of it for yourself).

Because I didn't want other people (who would be stupid enough to do this) to fall for it, I sent a message to CareerBuilder's customer service letting them know I thought it was a scam. That way they could be aware and possibly send messages to everyone who received that message that it was a scam (although I was surprised they hadn't caught it before).

I got an email back from them saying that the email did not come from them, but that the people had used CareerBuilder's logos and email layout to give credibility to their scam. They recommended I put in a complaint to the www.IC3.gov Web site (stands for Internet Crime Complaint Center). So I put in a complaint. I don't know what will be done, but they are in partnership with the FBI.

I got an automated response back from IC3 that had a Web site to go to (www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com). On it were some testimonials on people who were scammed. One was from the same scam as the email I got. The guy said he was told to keep $200 for each transaction. They also sent him packages and he was told to send them on to other people. These were bought with a stolen credit card (come to find out). You should read his account here.

So I guess this can be a scam rant, if there are others who have run into scams personally.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 04:03:54 PM by Tink »

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Scams!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:17:11 PM »
I have received three e-mails telling me to verify my chase credit card account for the records, since they had problems and I am supposed to click a link.

.....I do not own a Chase credit card.

I told Chase, Yahoo and the Government. To hard to catch them though, I doubt they will.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:54:21 PM »
I posted my resume on Monster.com and I get on getting calls asking if I would be willing to sell life insurance or do some sort of "work at home" deal. It seems like posting a resume on-line can be an invitation to get a certain amount of less honest work.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »
I got an email a few weeks ago reminding me that I needed to renew my domain name. It looked suspicious. It wasn't from the company I subscribed to, and was the wrong re-newal date (when I looked into it further). So that's something to be cautious about.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:55:29 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:08:02 PM »
Some of them are really really good too. What I dont get is the tons of people who call the NRC about the nigerian scams. The one reaction that always surprises me is that they are blinded by the money and want to belive its true... every time.

Bottom line is if its too good to be true or it sounds funny it is.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:30:41 AM »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:03:06 AM »
NetWork Solutions/Verisign does that constantly. For years I've received mailings and emails about how my domain is to expire and I better renew it. Sometimes they even have the date right. Bottom line: know what company you deal with.