Author Topic: City of Heroes  (Read 24628 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2004, 03:34:54 PM »
They don't show the capes in action, but it's nice to see the selection. They claim to show the full range of options, but I don't beleive it--for one thing, one of those shots shows "long capes" selected in the character builder, implying the presence of other types of capes, yet all the screenshots show the same style.

It's sad to hear that the capes don't work well with long hair, though--that will put a damper on UXB's plans. It hasn't released yet, though, so who knows?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2004, 03:39:55 PM »
yeha, I thought they were waiting to do capes till they could do them right. Y'know, so they worked with long hair n' stuff.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2004, 09:44:50 AM »
Their main beef with capes was they wanted them to flow correctly. I think it says in the article that there are half-length capes as well that just cover your butt.
I can understand wanting to reserve them as a status of level thing but you can't really design a new character with a cape in mind without seeing how it looks. Then when you do get a cape you'll probably redesign your whole suit around it. Or maybe that's just me :)
Capt. Blaze is still holding out for a jetpack...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 07:31:43 PM by Dex1138 »

Dex1138

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2004, 07:30:53 PM »
Issue #2 is now L-I-V-E

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2004, 07:51:12 PM »
Yeah. I was playing 5 minutes after it went live. Those crazy people at the devs triggered an invasion of these... floating eyeball things. That paralyse. So I was in Steel Canyon as portals opened and up to 3 dozen enemies were on the screen at once, with 2 dozen heroes throwing themselves into the fray. Only 2 portals, but boy was it fun while it lasted. Was pretty damn funny seeing a staircase FULL of enemies.

They changed the interface to have 'tabs', put in badges that you earn that give you another subtitle, and put in an Examplar button, that makes someone higher level than you your level. So when I was teamed with a level 21, I did that to him and he became level 16 (my level). He said he got no EXP but he was working off debt. Which seems fair enough.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2004, 08:42:42 PM »
I was really close to getting this game, then I remembered how dizzy 1st person games make me.  Like whenever I play Unreal, Doom, etc I always feel like I'm going to throw up and have to go lay down.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »
It's a 3rd person game. You can zoom right in until its 1st person, but it is 3rd person by default. Camera can be set quite a long way away.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2004, 12:51:48 AM »
Does it zoom out like Everquest, so its still 1st person but you can see your character?   Cause that is still nauseating with all the spinning around.  It used to not to until the last couple years, like sometimes I get sick even with Diablo 2 (especially that level in Act II that's like in outer space).  I've always got motion sickness real easy, might have somthing to do with that.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Dex1138

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2004, 09:48:05 AM »
Try dramamine. No seriously! It should help if you really want to play.

I hate the tabs on the chat window. ick!
And the Tsoo now Tsuck. There are now tatooed minions that can unleash a virtual chain of dizzy/stun/sleep effects on you. Oh yeah and the ninjas now have caltrops! My poor feet.
Something else to be aware of, there are big metal doors in the warehouses now. You know those ones that roll up? They look like a normal wall until you put the cursor on them. So if it seems like you have nowhere to go, check the ends of the corridors!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2004, 12:31:41 PM »
new blog.

Oh, and I illustrated yesterday's too, though we're still waiting on a good in-game boom box picture.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2004, 01:25:22 PM »
You know, I'm a little surprised that although I have absolutely no desire to play this game, I'm really getting into these UXB blogs.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2004, 01:27:12 PM »
are you kidding? If I had a computer that'd run it, this would be the first MMORPG I'd ever play.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2004, 02:27:40 PM »
I think it's just Dan's writing.  He's fun to read, even if you don't really like MMORPGs.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2004, 03:42:27 PM »
Oh stop it you guys, you're making me blush.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net