Author Topic: action figures  (Read 1315 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
action figures
« on: May 07, 2004, 12:13:57 PM »
So yeah, instead of working, I did this.

It's not the best angle, but I'm realizing you can't really see that Spider-Man unless you sit as close to the wall as I really do, so maybe I'll move the tower. Venom is hiding behind sabretooth there as well, and Mystique is hard to see too. Sorry, you'll have to trust me they're back there.

Gumby, however, has been taken out of the scene. Weird enough I have Eowyn piggy-backing into battle and attacking a foot soldier from behind while Spider-Man sneaks up on Sabretooth. I just couldn't make Gumby fit in, so he now sits next to my monitor.

Yes, Izzy, Eowyn riding on Aragorn's shoulders was an idea I took from you.

The buildings are made out of foam stuff. We get these cases from Pelican to hold our MiniScan instruments. They work really weel, and they come filled with a block of foam, with sections cut but not removed to fit our needs. The sections just get tossed out, so sometimes I grab some. It's cool stuff. I even managed to snag a case from a trade-in instrument that was just going to get tossed once. I'm not sure what to use it for yet, but it's nicey nicey.

I'm not sure what to do about the color. The white sill kinda washes out the whole thing with the flash on. Maybe I'll try another picture with the blinds open and the flash off.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: action figures
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 12:50:31 PM »
the blinds up resulted in some glare, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Here's a sort of aerial view.
And here's the side, which shows you the best.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that I have a future in photography.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 03:10:18 PM »
wow, you have greenery outside your window. I have some weeds with lots of dust on them outside mine.

This also reminds me that I want more nephews so I can get them action figures for Christmas.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 03:17:08 PM »
You can get nieces action figures too, depending on the niece, the parents, and the action figure.

I used to have He-man, Cringer/Battle Cat, She-ra, a bunch of Star wars people, etc. when I was little.  They were fun to play with.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 03:25:17 PM »
I made my nieces a doll house.  Unfortunately, my nieces are very girly. They don't like "action" stuff unless it's soccor or dance. Plus, I'm having a hard time getting them to take to sf&f.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 03:36:13 PM »
yeah, the first thing my kids did when they came in to visit was start grabbing figures. True, chioices one and two were Mary Jane and Gumby, but still.

anyway, my recommendation for figures: Star Wars sucks. Really. They rarely stand up on their own, they don't pose very well, even with the joints that DO articulate, and their extras don't stay in place in their hands without help. I have at least three or four figures where I've had to TIE lightsabers into place. (heh, TIE).

anyway. GI Joe figures are good. They have less goofy modelling, their hands are more flexible than you probably remember growing up with, so they don't snap, they articulate in more locations, and they stay standing up even without a stand.

THe best are Marvel's Legends series. 6" scale v. 3.75" scale, better modeling, usually 30+ points of articulation. (Elektra, for example, has 38) and they come with displays. Most of the figures in those pictures are from Toy Biz (Marvel's toy company). Including the LotR figures, which don't move quite as well as teh superheroes, but are still cool.

The TMNT figures are pretty cool too, though they aren't as articulate. They do hold their weapons and stand on their own though.

Of course, if the kid wants Star Wars, well, you can't get Toy Biz Star Wars or GI Joe Star Wars. But still...

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 03:40:30 PM »
Well, considering the current ages of the majority of my nephews, the dominating question when selecting an action figure is "How much does it hurt when he throws it at you.?"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 03:43:55 PM »
you might want to get gumby, or perhaps winnie the pooh then.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 03:46:29 PM »
Oh, they don't need to be soft. Remember, I'm their uncle, not thier parents.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 03:49:10 PM »
oh, in that case, get them Transformers or Todd McFarlane figures. Those use high impact plastics and sometimes even heavier stuff. McFarlane's are never posable, but they look pretty, and I'd imagine they'd hurt a lot when smacking people with all those pointy edges.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 03:55:55 PM »
I have a huge box of old action figures in my barn.  I, unfortunately, have no room for them in my room, what with all the laundry, schoolwork, and books...  But I like the star wars action figures simply because they make the best battle scene when they stand up on their own, which, like SE said, is rare.  Spider man is great, so are X-Men.  I need to crack those out sometime and use them...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 08:40:56 PM »
That is so cool. I keep meaning to set up my meagre clix force in an action scene on my window sill, thus freeing up my bedside table.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 11:06:58 PM »
here's one for SE, a spiderman action figure with 67 points of articluation!  The most ever in a fig, even it's fingers are fully articulated.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2519170&cat=4172&type=5&dept=4171&path=0%3A4171%3A4172
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:07:54 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 04:50:18 PM »
he's too gosh-darn BIG! where am I going to fit an 18" figure.

/me starts looking

Incidentally, teh Silver Surfer I got in Utah is pleasing unto me. The only real problem is no holes on his feet for switching stands. Instead he has magnest so he can stick to his board, even upside down. I don't see why they couldn't have done both.