Author Topic: Cooking for gamers  (Read 3820 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Cooking for gamers
« on: April 28, 2003, 02:47:32 PM »
I plan to submit a series of articles about cooking for gamers. (the first one on homade pizza was submitted today) Generally I plan on showcasing healthier and tastier and cheeper alternatives to fast food for the serious gamer. You wont need a lot of gadgets around the kitchen and I'll try to talk you through step by step. Also if anyone has a question about a recipe this is the place to ask me about it. Also if anyone has a favorite recipe they want lightned ask me and I will try and cut the fat and caloric content by at least half while keeping the taste high and simplifying the cooking process.

Jeff Crews
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 02:49:29 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Cooking for gamers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 09:46:19 PM »
Anything grilled, hamburgers, chicken, steak. I've been having a lot of that Hamburger Helper stuff. Lasagna, I'd like to know how to do that cheap and easy...or whatever it is your doing...er.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 12:10:10 AM »
Ohh thats easy....

Lets start with the american classic (the hamburger).

Get  some 80% lean ground beef and pre-form it into small thin patties (8oz of meat per patty is all you really need.) Wrap the meat in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag. Freeze the patties. (this is a trick the fast food places use to keep their burgers from shrinking a lot) and pull out one or two when you need to eat.  Now a burger by itself isn't that bad for you, (especially a grilled one) but when you tack on cheese, mayo, fries and a Coke your talking about loads of extra calories. Cut them out and make a nice salad with some dark hearty greens like spinch leaves and romaine (pre-bagged salads are good and easier for one person to use up) also add some red onion, some fresh tomato, a few mushrooms some bell or red peppers and a root vegtable like grated carrot or parsnip and skip the cheese. Make a light vinegrette with some balsamic vineger and olive oil. Toss the in the dressing and serve on the side of your plate. Hey and top the burger well. Remember if you have to have cheese or mayo that they are high in fat. Kraft makes a nice lite single and I think they have light mayo if you like that kind of thing.

You may feel at first that a salad and a burger are not enough to fill you up. But they are, all you have to do is eat more slowly. Normally when gamers eat they wolf down their food. This prevents your body from accurately gauging how full you are and can lead to over eating. Enjoy your food, chew it, savor it and eat slowly. You'll feel better and eat less.  

By cutting out the cheese, keeping mayo away and using small portions of lean meat you can make yourself a burger with less fat than Mcdonalds or Burger King.

For steak remember that your slice of meat shouldn't be larger than 8 oz especially if its good meat.

Chicken is a whole other story so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 12:22:30 AM »
Get me a resapie to Brew my own Dew, (hehe that rimes) that's what the gamer realy needs.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Arathorn

• Level 3
  • Run Ronnie run!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 12:42:40 AM »
You can take out the shrinking ingredient  ;D  

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 07:52:23 AM »
Get me a resapie to Brew my own Dew, (hehe that rimes) that's what the gamer realy needs.  

Nah man. Vodka and coke. Does the trick nicely.

Just dont drink that before going to bed. You end up being unable to sleep while totally hammered. Trust me, that is virtual agony. There is no experience quite like trying to get to sleep while drunk. The bed won't stop spinning for a start  >:(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 07:57:15 AM »
how about some nice ginger beer?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 01:04:30 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and recommend Hot Pockets or (if you're health conscious) Lean Pockets.  It does, after all, do the trick of allowing you to waste time instead of being productive by cooking right and everything.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 01:49:57 PM »
cooking right allows you to waste time in other areas with more energy.  ;D

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 01:57:59 PM »
Let's be honest: how much energy does it really take to sit on the couch and say, "we send the rogue ahead to search for traps"?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2003, 02:01:33 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 02:33:36 PM »
Yes, I like the sound of that "resapie" for ginger beer. Or any sort of cold drink for that matter.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 02:43:33 PM »
Well Fell that depends on what time in the morning it is.... ;D

Not all Timewasting is about sitting at home either, Im just helping people waste their own time better.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 02:44:52 PM »
I'll post the ginger beer recipe with the shark and bake recipe next week since they go together like sharks and minnows.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 06:44:06 PM »
ElJeffe if you're planning of doing this regulary over the next few months I'm going to add a meta tag for them (with fells aprovial).  when submitting an articale add GChef (case dosen't matter) to the meta tag field above the score.  Fell should I add the link in the other deparment or do you want to place it some were else?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2003, 06:45:03 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 06:48:33 PM »
howzabout we make the tag just say "chef," rahter than "gchef"? It's not like we're going to have more than one type of chef article, right? Simplicity is a fine, fine thing.

As for your question about where to put a link, I have no idea what you're talking about.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net