Author Topic: staff picks reminder  (Read 11283 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
staff picks reminder
« on: September 15, 2003, 11:02:44 AM »
The first one has been submitted.

The next one will be about fantasy movies. I expect to see a lot of Lord of the Rings submissions for this, so if you could treat the whole LOTR series as ONE film, so we have a little more diversity on this, that'd be nice.

So email your picks to [email protected]

Rules Reminder:
  • No more than three recommendations
  • Limit your explanation for WHY we should watch the movie to 50 words or less.
  • email them to me at the above address. Don't post them.
  • Deadline is 11:59 PM (that's 23:59 for you military folks) on September 19, 2003.

Again, if we're to be realistic about the deadline, I'll still include your comments if it gets to me before I write the thing, which this week was on Monday mornnig.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 11:04:15 AM by SaintEhlers »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: staff picks reminder
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 11:31:46 AM »
Uhm... define "fantasy". The only ones i can think of are
a) LoTR
b) harry pothead
c) labyrinth
d) D&D the movie.

Not much diversity? :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 12:36:32 PM »
You forgot Willow, and a bunch of B-Movies like Beastmaster I, Beastmaster II, Beastmaster III, etc.  And Dragonheart (or whatever that movie was where Sean Connery was the voice of the dragon.)  That one had a sequal too.  And I'm sure there are plenty more that aren't coming to mind right now.

I think you could consider The Neverending Story fantasy.  That one had a sequal also.

Are we defining "fantasy movies" by setting?  There are many who consider Star Wars fantasy...

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 12:47:25 PM »
Does superhero count as Fantasy, or is that it's own genre?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 01:20:48 PM »
Would Groundhog Day be a fantasy? What about The Truman Show? Or are we supposed to stick with "epic" fantasy?

I suppose that Truman Show would be considered science fiction either way, but you could make an argument for it....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 01:21:22 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 01:28:36 PM »
Or The Mask of Zorro? I'm not sure what other genre that would fit in. Does that mean that Pirates of the Carribean would qualify. Or is there a separate adventure film genre?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 01:29:00 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2003, 01:32:04 PM »
Yes, a definition of "fantasy" for the purposes of this feature is called for.  I imagine Saint will provide one soon.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 01:37:07 PM »
Or a list of "fantasy" movies even. That way we don't all submit for Willow and LOTR because we can't think of anything else.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 01:39:17 PM »
There's no way that Zorro would count, because there's no fantasy elements in it (except for Catherine Zeta-Jones, of course, but that's not the kind of fantasy we're refering to...I hope). Pirates would definitely count because it has magic.

I think a list is a bad idea. If you have to be reminded about a movie, it's obviously not one of your top picks.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 03:37:17 PM »
Problem is that when you say fantasy Willow, LOTR are the only ones I can come up with. I guess Pirates if it counts. Are those the only 3 fantasy movies that aren't corny? Well, Willow is probably corny to most.

And is magic the defining point of fantasy? Because when I think of fantasy I think sword fights, which Zorro has in abundancy. There wasn't any magic in Princess Bride does that mean it doesn't count either?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2003, 03:38:22 PM »
Hmm, looking at the above post, I guess I can think of more than 3 fantasy movies, depending on the criteria, of course.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 04:47:06 PM »
What about 13th Warrior, which has no magic?

I hope animated movies are included as well.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 04:57:33 PM »
No magic in The Princess Bride?  What about when he got brought back to life?  Or the torture device that sucks the life out of you?  That's as fantastic as magic.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 05:11:46 PM »
or a giant, or the shrieking eels, or potions, or a holocaust cloak, or the fact that a man survives being tortured to death because he has "true love." Come on, no magic?

I didn't think we'd have this much trouble, with fantasy, but I'll define some terms. then

A Fantasy movie is one that contains elements that do not and cannot occur in the natural world as we understand it. Note that this specifically excludes hard sci-fi, because we may eventually be able to develop the strange elements of those, but does not exclude horror films.

However, for a good list, we'll be looking for films that we like that are fantasy, but not just incidentally fantasy. Jane Eyre, for example, has a fantasy element where she "knows" that her boyfriend has been calling to her, but it feels nothing like a fantasy, epic or otherwise.

We're not restricting this to epic fantasy, and by no means are animated films excluded. Which means you can put in your picks for about a billion anime and/or disney movies.

Fairy Tales (Peter Pan -- all seventeen hundred versions, for example), modern magic (Powder, Phenomenon anyone) all qualify, not just epic fantasy like Krull, Legend, LOTR, or Willow.

If you like Star Wars because it "feels" like a fantasy, then use it. I personally think that the unexplained light speed, sentient droids, and biologically impossible creatures make it hard to justify as science fiction.

Does this help?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 07:09:49 PM »
13th warrior I would count as fantasy even though it's based off true events.  Things shouldn't have to be high fantasy to be fantasy.
Other:

Dark Crystal
Krull
Last unicorn (animated)
Secret of Nym (animated modern fantasy)
Hook
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.