Author Topic: EUOLogy #7  (Read 3858 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: EUOLogy #7
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 10:29:18 PM »
I think that barrier was broken when Utah first started out with all the polygamy, until they had to give it up to become an actual state. So hobsnobs and backwash.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 12:24:19 AM »
I suspect that the greater stigma against video games stems from the graphic (and speedy) violence and the relative lack of social interaction. When I play RPGs I'm talking to people and I'm doing something, and even though my characters kill people there really aren't that many; when I game on the computer I'm just sitting there clicking and typing--the people are talk to aren't "real" to an outside observer, and the people I kill are both frequent and violent.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 12:44:18 AM »
Weird is better than boring anyday.  

I really think that "anyday" should be a single word.  That's the second thing I'm going to do when I rule the universe.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 01:02:34 AM »
I prefer the terms quirky and eclectic, myself.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 02:43:16 AM »
As far as I see it, Video Games are considered relatively normal and even 'cool', so long as heavy violence or a prominant "extreme sportsperson" features. (Funny, we had extreme sports while I was growing up, but we called it "stupidity"). It's the RPGs that are super nerdy. Even so, I'm reading Paranoia XP right now at work, and no-one seems to care.

The fact I work on a computer helpdesk may or may not have any bearing on this.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 02:41:32 PM »
What I find to be geeky, is women who scrapbook. It just screams, "I don't want to live in the present, so I spend all my time reliving the past."

What bugs me about scrapbookers is that they're not content to just DO something -- they have to take a picture of it.  I have a good friend who's like this, and I can't travel with her anymore.  The minute we're out of the car, she's taking pictures of things and people, and generally missing out on the experience of being on vacation -- she doesn't want to actually look at the scenery, she just wants to make sure that her husband and kid are in the picture and the scenery is the backdrop.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

lawgirl_7

• Level 1
  • Holy Hannah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 06:56:53 PM »
I am the newly indoctrinated "real-life girl" playing with Euol. I must say that I didn't understand why everyone was so secretive at first, but totally see it now.  In fact, I was dodging the "why are you busy every Thursday night" question when Ben sent me the link to the article. So appropriate. I finally gave in and sent my friend the link and "came out."  Surprisingly, I really enjoy my newest hobby and, by the bye, I am winning  ;). I have the most hit points and experience points. I know, I know, you can't win. But hey, I like to pretend like I am anyway!!! It drives the guys crazy!
Doubt is often the beginning of wisdom

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 08:16:02 PM »
But hey, I like to pretend like I am anyway!!! It drives the guys crazy!

You win just by doing that, you know.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 08:54:53 PM »
Another Critical Miss-er is born. She'll be playing Troll: The Provoking any day now.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 10:17:22 PM »
she already is.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 10:19:15 PM »
What bugs me about scrapbookers is that they're not content to just DO something -- they have to take a picture of it.

For me, part of the fun of doing is having pictures of it. I don't scrapbook anymore because I don't have time and I've realized how kitchy it is--and I regret cutting my pictures. But as a photographer and a family historian, pictures are highly important to me. They're a record. Not to mention it's fun to have the camera nearby when I see a good shot, whether it's people or scenery or people in scenery.

However, few scrapbookers are good photographers, so I feel for ya on that.

They're just not me. (And most of you have seen my photography, so you know I'm not just saying it. ... Wow, that sounds kind of cheeky, but I mean it in the humblest possible way while talking up my own work.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 10:24:30 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
Yes, but if they don't take pictures, they're never going to *get* to be good photographers.  

At least, that's what I tell myself.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 10:50:19 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 03:01:33 PM »
Hey -- I'm all for taking pictures of things.  I took a photgraphy class in college, and have always enjoyed pretending I was good at it.

I'm complaining more about the fact that some scrapbookers only seem to be on vacation so that they can scrapbook it later -- they don't care about what they're looking at, only that they have several pictures of it.

On one trip, it seemed like it was more of a modeling shoot than a relaxing chance to "get away from it all."  We couldn't look at any historical marker, or enter any building, or eat any meal without documenting it in detail.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 03:03:53 PM »
wow. Just... dont' come to my in-laws for dinner
It seems like every sunday the entire group has to cluster for photographs, even if it's the exact same group that's been meeting for the last month.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 03:27:35 PM »
I don't go for the posed photo most of the time anyway. Too many of the same picture, same people, different time--probably same place we took the picture.

I prefer head shot candids, side shots, shots from above, action shots--anything unconventional that shows that person's personality more. Problem is, it's hard to sneak up on a person and take a picture, and people are conditioned to turn and smile at you for the camera. When I tell them to pay me no mind, they often get cantankerous that I'm not doing what they expect me to, and I've lost my shot anyway.