Author Topic: review: Weapons of Legacy  (Read 1792 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Weapons of Legacy
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 06:00:28 AM »
Hehe just read the blurb to this, doubt many others got where the two other legacies came from.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:24:07 AM »
I want to turn my character's musket into a weapon of legacy.  There is like practically nothing for using guns in DnD.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »
If money is burning a hole, the Warcraft rpg has rules for em. But it's basically crossbow rules.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:18:11 PM »
Well the DMG has rules for firearms too, its just they aren't that cool.  Compare a musket to a dragonbone greatbow, both require the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat.  The musket damage 1d12, x3 crit, 150 range increment.  The greatbow is 1d10, x3 crit, 150 range increment.  Okay, but the musket is a standard action to reload, compared to the bow is a free action and you can use cool feats like Rapid Shot and Manyshot with it.  You can also add your Str bonus to the damage roll on the bow.  Oh yeah, and you don't have to pack around a horn of powder and a bag of lead bullets which cost more than some wicked arrow like adamantine arrow or whatever.  And the gunpowder becomes useless if it gets wet.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 01:03:26 PM »
Remember that early firearms sucked ass. The reason they got used on such wide scales is because it's easy and quick to train soldiers in them, as opposed to longbows which took years and decades to become expert in.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 03:24:38 AM »
I would like to lower my rating of this book by 1 clock.  I could only justify the use of a legacy item if all gp cost of the quests was removed to gain legacy feats.  Also some of the custom menu choices were chosen sloppily, to name some names ie on Menu C, at will acid arrow or scorching ray.  Compare that to menu D (abilities unattainable until 11th level, vs level 7 for menu C), which has burning hands at will.

In the end, most of the stuff just isn't cool enough.  I keep trying to find ways to get this book into play, but its hard to even force yourself to do it.  Especially if its for a character you actually like, and even if used for some NPC where it doesn't matter as much, its just not worth all the extra time of figuring all this crap out just to put some lame item into play.

If not for the decent art and the like 40 or so "adventure seeds", I would rate it even lower.  The mechanics are just too crapy.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 06:42:10 AM »
Ah, the old "cool in print but sucks in play" conundrum. We've experienced this before.

So you wanted it to go from 4 clocks to 3 right?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:43:10 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »
Yeah that's it, thanks.