Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 364087 times)

Plasman

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Random question
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2008, 03:12:48 AM »
What ever happened to the sound sticks used by hazekillers in book one to disorient Tineyes and Mistborn?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #466 on: November 14, 2008, 08:13:02 AM »
I have a theory about the people staying sick longer.   I expect the method used by Preservation to snap the mistings doesn't mix well with Atium, hense why those people stayed sick longer.   I also wonder if "Atium mistings", I quote cause this is a name given by BS and not confirmed by book, could burn any and all alloys of Atium therefore not being mistings at all but rather Atium-born.
The book uses both the terms "Atium misting" (it's the obvious method) and "Seer" (Yomen uses this one, and it's a very natural name for it) to describe someone who can burn only Atium.
I'd like to point out who wrote the book.   Remember, I am the person who claims everything in the book is biased and misdirectional because BS wants it to be.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 14, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
I have a theory about the people staying sick longer.   I expect the method used by Preservation to snap the mistings doesn't mix well with Atium, hense why those people stayed sick longer.   I also wonder if "Atium mistings", I quote cause this is a name given by BS and not confirmed by book, could burn any and all alloys of Atium therefore not being mistings at all but rather Atium-born.
The book uses both the terms "Atium misting" (it's the obvious method) and "Seer" (Yomen uses this one, and it's a very natural name for it) to describe someone who can burn only Atium.
I'd like to point out who wrote the book.   Remember, I am the person who claims everything in the book is biased and misdirectional because BS wants it to be.

Um, yeah.  I'm not going to give a detailed reply to that.  No point, really.
Nature hates being reified.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 14, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
Um, yeah.  I'm not going to give a detailed reply to that.  No point, really.
I usually hate quote in quote in quotes but I just realized that I never responded to the fact that I said not confirmed by the book.   What I meant by that was the fact that no "atium misting" ever tried to burn malatium or any other atium alloy to prove that they could only burn atium.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »
OK children, quit arguing.  Debating is cool, but just flat out arguing is annoying.

1. If an Atium misting could also burn Malatium that would break rules already set up by the magic system and if you ever read Brandon's First Law Essay he talks about different magic systems and how they need to be set up.  One of the sections talks of how systems with set rules that are strictly followed should not break those rules, so Brandon wouldn't do that.

2. The term Atium Misting and Seer ARE confirmed in the book.

3. The book inherently DOES CONFIRM that none of these "Atium Borns" exist by simple laws of the Magic system.

4. I guess if you would like to involve Hemalurgy into the argument you could make an "Atium Born" but then it wouldn't be the same thing that you are talking about.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #470 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:21 PM »
But Atium isn't one of the basic metals, so who says it has to follow the rules?  Anyone can burn Lerasium, so I think it might makes sense that someone could burn all of the atium allows, since it's not technically part of the wheel, and malatium and atium's other alloys aren't well known, so no one has probably tested it.   I think it could happen, at least it makes sense to me.
A Question, if you can use Ruin's body with allomacny, what would happen if you used Preservation's body (lerasium), in hemalurgy.  What powers would a Lerasium spike bestow.

As for the shards, in the Elantris world, what if the Seons are fragmented bits of a shard?  We never do get an explanation for them.  Perhaps they are pieces of a subservience or servant shard, and Jaddeth is a master or ruler shard.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #471 on: November 15, 2008, 01:05:28 AM »
I think that before Rashek stepped into the Well, atium was not connected to the allomantic system. He set up the Pits of Hathsin in order to distill Ruin's body into little chunks which he had complete control over, and he changed allomancy in order to make atium burnable with the ultimate purpose of destroying Ruin's body.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GoryCat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 15, 2008, 03:20:57 AM »
I think that before Rashek stepped into the Well, atium was not connected to the allomantic system. He set up the Pits of Hathsin in order to distill Ruin's body into little chunks which he had complete control over, and he changed allomancy in order to make atium burnable with the ultimate purpose of destroying Ruin's body.

That is...plausible.  So while changing allomancy, he also created the lerasium nuggets from the pure power of Preservation he held.  No, better: those nuggets were the change, like CDs with a new program on them.  There would be no natural atium mistings; all of them are descendents of the original noblemen, but with diminished powers.  I like it; I had never considered that.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 15, 2008, 03:42:16 AM »
Well, I'm not sure. Brandon said there are divine metals (did he say there were 16 of those?) of which atium and lerasium are two. So the metal forms already existed—but I do assume that it was Rashek who made the lerasium nuggets appear near the Well of Ascension.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #474 on: November 15, 2008, 04:42:31 AM »
Well, I'm not sure. Brandon said there are divine metals (did he say there were 16 of those?) of which atium and lerasium are two. So the metal forms already existed—but I do assume that it was Rashek who made the lerasium nuggets appear near the Well of Ascension.

I don't think so. Here's what the epigraph in Chapter 9 says about it:

When Rashek took the power at the Well of Ascension, he became aware of certain things. Some were whispered to him by Ruin; others were granted to him as an instinctive part of the power.

One of these was an understanding of the Three Metallic Arts. He knew, for instance, that the nuggets of metal in the Chamber of Ascension would make those who ingested them into Mistborn. These were, after all, fractions of the very power in the Well itself.

That makes it sound like Rashek understood what Lerasium--already being in the Chamber--would do, rather than Rashek actually placing it there.

If that is indeed the case, then I would think Preservation itself placed the Lerasium there. Brandon already confirmed that Preservation made the Terris Prophecies, seeing the future before he imprisoned Ruin. I don't find it that much of a stretch to think that Preservation placed the Lerasium in the Chamber, waiting to create Mistborn which would, in the end, burn the atium away in the end.

As for 16 divine metals, I don't think Brandon mentioned anything like that. I don't even think he implied that there were more than two; he only said that both Ruin and Preservation had divine metals. There could be divine metal alloys, I suppose, but not necessarily more divine metal bases.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 15, 2008, 06:47:39 AM »
Ah, you are right about the lerasium.

I think that when Sazed says the number 16 has more significance than just the allomantic metals, this might be a clue that there are 16 Shards. I'm guessing that also means 16 divine elements (not necessarily all metallic in nature).

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 15, 2008, 06:54:40 AM »
OK children, quit arguing.  Debating is cool, but just flat out arguing is annoying.

1. If an Atium misting could also burn Malatium that would break rules already set up by the magic system and if you ever read Brandon's First Law Essay he talks about different magic systems and how they need to be set up.  One of the sections talks of how systems with set rules that are strictly followed should not break those rules, so Brandon wouldn't do that.

2. The term Atium Misting and Seer ARE confirmed in the book.

3. The book inherently DOES CONFIRM that none of these "Atium Borns" exist by simple laws of the Magic system.

4. I guess if you would like to involve Hemalurgy into the argument you could make an "Atium Born" but then it wouldn't be the same thing that you are talking about.

First, wasn't arguing, never do.
1.  As comatose said.
2. They are confirmed by people in the book, not by actions in the book.   No "Atium Misting" ever tried burning Malatium and failed.
3. The book doesn't even tell all the laws of the magic system, why would you assume you know them.
4. Not involving Hemalurgy, not required.

Mok, I like where you are going with that.   Yeah, I suspect Rashek made the pits very much for that reason but it makes me wonder why he didn't make it more like a typical mining operation.   I know he wanted to keep things secret but at the same time, it seems a very bad method of extracting the atium.   Maybe there were other things we don't know that were involved with the pits.   Maybe the pits already existed(like the nuggets of Lerasium) but Rashek just learned about them when he took the well.   Interesting.

I would guess there are exactly the same number of divine elements as there are shards.   They said that the divine elements are representation of the shards within the world.

I wonder if Elend injesting the last piece of Lerasium ended Preservations life in a way.   With no body left and his mind caught up in holding Ruin hostage and finally his power being dispersed, Preservation could no longer survive.   Might be why Rashek left just a single piece as he knew.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 17, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »
Preservation still had a whole lot of body left: the mists.  Only the solid pieces of his body were gone, the gaseous piece was still there, and there.

I like the idea of there being 16 shards, andI really think that Seons are connected to them, or maybe are the body of one of the shards.    Does anyone know if Brandon is still answering questions here, I know he's been busy with his tour and AMoL, but should I jsut try and email him?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:56 AM »
He's months behind on emails still probably, unless it's Ookla, Sprig, Fell or one of the others, I doubt he'll answer for a bit. At least on here, you have the advantage of your question turning into a discussion, and eventually EUOL will pop on and answer - probably with a RAFO.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 17, 2008, 06:15:25 AM »
Brandon isn't back from his book tour yet, so doesn't really have time for the internet.

EDIT: It seems Brandon got home today, actually.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:31:28 AM by Mok Apple Pie »