Author Topic: War of the worlds (with added spoilers)  (Read 2646 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
War of the worlds (with added spoilers)
« on: June 30, 2005, 07:48:58 PM »
Alright. Good film - very very psychological, rather than 'lets watch some stuff blow up' like usual alien invasion films. One thing I noticed was the horrible scenes in it. Not horrible as in 'man that scene sucked' but horrible as in 'ow, those poor bastards'. For example, the scene at the ferry - I knew from the moment it started that it was gonna end with everyone dying. The bit with them fleeing the city and ray ferrier deliberately not telling anyone in order to ensure he could escape.

Very good film. :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
Re: War of the worlds (with added spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:55:14 PM »
What a great film, the ending was a little weak, but other than that it was a good film.  I still can't believe that they actual destoyed a 747 airplane.  The was unreal.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 02:46:52 AM »
Weak, weak ending.  The first 2/3 was intense though.

Stupid Spielburg and happy endings.  Letting the son live...grrr.

Things that bothered me:

1. Oh! EMP knocks out all electronics, including Cruise's watch.  Well, all electronics but that camera and camcorder those folks are using while the first tripod emerges.

2. I know it's this way from the book, but it still bother me...you can't have beam that will vaporize people but not clothes that can still destroy a building.  Won't work.

3. The ending could have been a little more clear for those who don't know the story (blasphemy, I know).  My fiance had no idea why aliens died, even with the VO and closeup of microbes at the end.  I imagine she's not alone.

If they just redid everything after they met Tim Robbins it would be a great movie.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 02:47:07 PM »
Happy endings are stupid?  I suppose you wanted it to end like this.  The daughter gets sucked up.  Then the father.  Then you see the tripod spray out some blood and -The End-.  You see, endings like that have become the cliche.  Sorry, but those are the stupid endings.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 03:53:17 AM »
I didn't say happy endings were stupid.  In this film though, the super-ultra-rainbow happy ending was.

Early on we find out Boston was "totally destroyed."  Not only is the in-laws house not destroyed but they're still in it.  Given what we've seen with the rest of the movie, this is entirely inconsistent.

The dad and girl should have survived.  The son shouldn't have.  No way.  Arguably, some members of the extended family should have been killed too.

There's nothing wrong with an appropriate happy ending.  This wasn't.  It feels completely tacked on.  Some movies shouldn't end happily.  This one should have, but not sugar-candyland-unicorn happy.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a bad ending if appropriate.  Watch Man on Fire, for instance.  And bad endings are nowhere near the cliche that happy endings are.  Not close.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 03:54:58 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 10:07:23 AM »
Dark City was ruined by it's good ending. That was so totally a bad ending movie.

And this... the ending could have been better, but it was nice to have that happy moment after all the carnage.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »
So I just finished watching WoW and I think it was a good film. As far as disaster films go, you could do a lot worse.

So these are my complaints:

1. Tom Cruise--he was okay, but I can think of a lot of other actors that would have been more better. Personally, I would have liked someone who looked more run-of-the-mill and older. Jack Black or John C. Reilly would have been awsome, but neither of those two can demand as high of billing.

2. The Ending--so I don't mind the Deus-Ex-Machina ending. But I do mind that the family didn't really change much. The son should have died, or even better Ray. Even the stepdad or grandpa dying would have been better. They went through this tramatic experience and then everything just went back to how it was before.

3. The Cellar--I didn't really mind Tim Robbins character as much as it bugged me that his character, Dakota Fanning's, and Tom Cruise's were the only ones there. Everything that happened in that cellar would have been so much more intense and cooler had there been a whole lot of people hiding in there. First, it would be more believable. Second, there would have been lots of extras to kill off. Third, there would be more intense analysis of group dynamics and personal confliicts. Instead we get a weak performance by Tim Robbins and too many shots of a wide-eyed Dakota Fanning.

So things I liked:

I think the kids are great. Their characters are much deeper (and more likable) than Tom Cruise's.

The tripods are cool, as are most of the visuals.

Each scene is really good by itself.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 01:07:28 AM »
What about the scene in the van?  I thought that was kind of disturbing, like when that guy was clawing though the window.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 01:32:43 AM »
I liked the scene where the van gets mobbed. It's intense and appropriately horrifying.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 01:43:25 AM »
Yeah, in a lot of ways it was more creepy than the tripods.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 11:15:17 AM »
I'm a little late here, but these are my thoughts.

I didn't mind the ending, and this is why: I didn't view the movie as really being about the alien invasion.  Given the way that it was filmed -- that it was completely from Ray Ferrier's point of view -- it wasn't supposed to be a sci-fi-heavy alien movie.  It was a movie about a dad's relationship with his kids -- the invasion was just the setting.  (I realize that that might be a little exaggerated, but the truth is: the movie focused much, much more on the interpersonal relationships than on the invasion story.  At most, the invasion was a sub-plot.)

Similarly, when Speilberg focused on Ray and his kids, rather than on the aliens, things were a lot more frightening.  The mob scenes, the stuff with the van, the part where Ray can't find his daughter -- all of that was may more intense than when Ray gets pulled up into the alien cage, or when the army is shooting the tripods.

As for Boston, I don't remember hearing early on that Boston had been wiped out.  If so, then somebody screwed up.  But without that line, it makes sense that the mom and step-dad and grandparents are fine.  In the final shot, we see that dozens of the alien tripods have died in Boston -- meaning that they must have been in the process of attacking it as they died.  It stands to reason that much of the city isn't destroyed or damaged -- it was only just now being attacked.

(That said, I agree that the son should have died.)

As for the camcorder, yeah that was a mistake.  The camera, though, is fine -- you can hear the guy winding it -- all the inner parts were mechanical, not electrical.

And I have to disagree with 42: I thought the cellar was one of the most intense film sequences I've seen in years.  (Tim Robbins was a little jarring, though -- not because of his acting, which was fine -- but because he was Tim Robbins, and we, the audience, were suddenly pulled out of the movie to say "Hey - that's Tim Robbins!")
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »
1) If Boston is blown away... I will love this movie just for that

2) Didnt Tim Robbins prommis us that he would be a Canadian by now?  I declare him "Oath Breaker"

3) I have yet to see the movie but I know the Original, The Radio play and the book.... And from what I am hearing... It sound like it didnt abandon that "Idea"
Alles!!!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 02:52:15 PM »
Yeah, in a lot of ways it was more creepy than the tripods.

I think that was what disturbed me most in the movie--not the aliens or the destruction, but the depiction of human behavior. There were times when people were good, self-sacrificing, and united--like when the soldier got everyone together and they pulled Tom Cruise out of the alien sucker thing--but more often there were people being selfish, hostile, and cruel. Which is what can happen when your life and the life of those you love is threatened, I suppose. And Tom Cruise and his daughter did survive, even though it involved ignoring helping several people and even killing a man. So perhaps the end justified the means.

But I remember being in the aftermath of the Northridge 94 earthquake in Southern California and how instead of dividing our neighborhood it united it. Of course, it wasn't quite the same--all of our houses were still standing (for the moment--we didn't know what would happen during the aftershocks), nobody was seriously hurt and death was not imminent like in WotW. Our neighborhood got off easy--other areas weren't as lucky. Still, it was unsettling for all of us as we slept out on the streets or in our cars, scared that another good shake would bring the roof of our houses down. Everyone reached out to each other and shared their food and whatever they still had access to. After the earthquake was the time we knew best and were most united with our neighbors. And then there are all the stories about the people who sacrificed themselves to make sure that others got out of the World Trade Center in 911. I hope that I would be one of those people--dying selflessly, not selfishly. But that's probably because death doesn't scare me as much as it does some.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the little girl survived. I could understand the father's concern for her. But I'm not always sure that the ends justify the means. The movie makes me wonder how I would react in a crisis situation--how much it would take to strip my humanity--my brotherly affection--away.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 01:49:58 AM »
I liked the car scene just because it was done real well.  Killing the guy in the cellar was done better than average but nothing impressive.  But I think both of those are overdone a lot in the media and usually blown way out of proportion so it doesn't get me very morally invested.

I don't think the guy in the basement seemed threatening enough to feel a need to kill him.  There were other moments that a real person would have been more likely to kill than that.

bosssmiley

• Level 2
  • Concealed in custard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »
Weak, weak ending.  The first 2/3 was intense though.

Stupid Spielburg and happy endings.  Letting the son live...grrr.

Spielburg did exactly the same in "Jurassic Park". IIRC that film had Indestructible Children of Doom unharmed by 10,000 volt electric fences.

Unfortunately it seems to be a canon of his filmmaking creed that children and dogs cannot be harmed, even if they do something so stupid as run blindly into the face of a Martian sweep-&-clear operation.  ::)

Pathetic Pollyanna ending by a man who should have stopped making films after "Last Crusade" >:(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 06:16:56 PM by bosssmiley »
The truth is too important to waste on every fool who asks