Author Topic: What I want for TWG  (Read 16203 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: What I want for TWG
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2003, 10:04:01 AM »

As for support: All I can say is that if the reason we feel we don't have support now is because the people who didn't get support before won't give their support now because they didn't have it then, well.... that'll be pretty darn sad.

It's a bit more complex than that, I believe.  Those of us who tried new ideas were forced to confront the realism of the site.  As it exists right now, TWG is more what Tage suggested above.  A community resource, never intended to be anything other than marginal.  Now, that's not to say it isn't fun and worthwhile.  However, we just don't have the support and resources to become a leader in the field.  A bigger problem is that I sense a lack of truly original content at TWG.

It isn't that we don't support you, SE.  It's that we are wary of dumping a lot of time into the site, when the end result is going to make us feel like the title is a bit more appropriate than it should be.  I'm more in favor of moderation.  

So, I encourage and applaud your efforts.  However, I am reluctant to commit to much, lest I over-extend myself.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2003, 10:17:56 AM »
The reason I've been so hard on you SE isn't that I;m bitter, or a jerk.  But more becasue no one else was argueing the point of not changeing.  True I don't care for the Ideas, but not that much.  For the most part I've been playing devils advocite.  True I did get mad at one of your posts (and poor Entropy had to put up with me ranting about it).  I feel we shouldn't make any of these significant changes without everyone knowing the pros and cons of each thing.  

So in my mind the fiction is done and now we need to move on to this idea of a community site.

When you say that I get this horrid picture of RPG.net.  A place where morons hang out at the message boards and there is no quality control on submitted articles.

EDIT: And I agree with EUOL, lets take our time here and only add a few new things.  If every thing goes well we can think of doing more after a few months.  Not Jump out of the gate with all new content and more then we can manage.  If we do that we're sure to fall on our faces.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 10:21:49 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2003, 11:07:02 AM »
Well, EUOL, that's good too, we don't want people promising anything we can't deliver.

Ok, so let's start slow.

Staff picks will be cake if people submit (so far no one has, but it's only been two days), so that's easy. So let's focus on regular content. Jeff and I can together get 2 (probably more, but I refuse to make promises) a week, so if the rest of the staff can get one, that would get us there. the step after that is ensuring that some of the content is more than just reviews. Leastways, that's my opinion.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2003, 11:09:35 AM »
sounds good.  I've allready submitted a Palladium fantasty RPG guide like fells rifts one.  And EUOL's allready posted somethign today.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2003, 11:25:56 AM »
I submitted a movie review in addition to my Castle Falkenstein review and I have two experimental reviews written for games I have just looked at (timeline and Champions Battleground)

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2003, 11:30:39 AM »
Speaking of Timeline, it's a CheapA game, and so is Light Speed. They'll both be in today, and they're both short, so you might want to post them at the same time later this week.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2003, 03:15:51 PM »
Hey Tage since you're takeing new ideas into consideration might I suggest a change to the way articles are handled by deparment heads.  Right now, as you know, when I post an article it automaticly 'approves' it so I either have to make it viewable to admins only or log out and then submit it that way.  It would be nice to have the option to be able to send it to the article waiting section or to have it auto post.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2003, 07:31:02 PM »
I could easily make it so that all articles you post don't auto-approve (which would affect all mods. So you mods, you're articles wouldn't be auto-approved anymore). Making it so that you could choose would be much harder.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2003, 04:26:57 AM »
Well if it dosen't auto approve then we can just goto the artcile waiting sectoin and post them if we want them up right away.  But I think right now that this would only affect me since you,Fell and EUOL are admins and I'm the only mod that submits articles with any frequency.  And when you orignialy designed the system this way we were expecting deparment heads to manage and post artices, and that dosen't happen.  Fell approves anyhting, and there's not much point to have mods post articles if we cannot place blurbs on the main page.  I think to only time I'd ever post something directly to a deparment would be a TOC article.  So I see no reason to have them auto post at all, even if we do get new deparment heads or the old ones come back (ie Kid, skar).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 04:38:43 AM by Spriggan »

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2003, 12:42:03 PM »
Fell? What do you think?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2003, 01:17:39 PM »
I love it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2003, 05:41:34 PM »
This, however, leads back to the question of quality control--most specifically, in my mind, issues of grammar and spelling.  I realize it's a bit hypocritical for me to address this issue, but it is something that needs to be raised.  I've noticed some problems in articles posted recently, and would not be surprised to find them in my own articles as well.  It would still be good if everything got a second read-over by someone with an eye for such things.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2003, 05:45:29 PM »
When Spriggan once linked me to a pre-release review he mentioned that fell would later spell check it and do the grammar thing before approving it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2003, 05:53:25 PM »
Yeah, I keep thinking we need to go with the proofreading hting. Even though I myself rarely proofread my own, we should get some more control on that.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
.Re: What I want for TWG
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2003, 06:10:31 PM »
I allwayse spell check my stuff then come back the next day for a proof read.  By then I've forgotten what I intended to write and find more typos.  And I allwayse expect Fell giveing it a once over