All of them!
2 (8.3%)
Ruin
1 (4.2%)
Preservation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: October 14, 2008, 05:24:45 AM

Author Topic: What will happen in book three: HOA.  (Read 17494 times)

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What will happen in book three: HOA.
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »
Well to answer your question, Ruin was able to alter the memorized texts within the metal minds--he did it to all of the terris council.

Kwaan could realize this only because he had an uncanny ability to memorize a sheet of paper at a glance without his metal minds.

so that answers your question but raises so much more for me....

Truly, Ookla, you are a master of your craft.

Not to point out the obvious, but you didn't answer his question at all. He already stated that Ruin was able to alter the text in metalminds. His question was what other attributes stored in metalminds could Ruin alter?
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »
I didn't ask what Ruin did. I asked why he was able to do it. But thanks for reminding anyone else who didn't know what I was referring to.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »
I didn't ask what Ruin did. I asked why he was able to do it. But thanks for reminding anyone else who didn't know what I was referring to.

High Priest Ookla? there's a lifetime's worth of Ramen in it for you if you tell me whether or not Vin merges with the Mist Spirit... ;)
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2008, 06:24:32 PM »
Don't be silly. RAFO.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »
Ewwww. Who'd want a lifetime's worth of Ramen anyway?

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
Ewwww. Who'd want a lifetime's worth of Ramen anyway?

mmmmm.....Raaaammmmeeennnnnnn.....College students best friend and only meal.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:45 PM »
I would want some Ramen, but I have the 7-day meal plan and the dining hall is literally right next door to my dorm. It would take me more effort to cook ramen than if I just walked over there.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
I walk in the kitchen and get food when I'm hungry.

However, when I do head off to college, I suspect I shall become quite good friends with Ramen.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2008, 07:07:18 AM »
When I was in Japan I ate ramen with egg almost every morning (since I couldn't get decent sugar-free cereal there). A previous English teacher had left a huge pack of Thai (?) ramen in the apartment. It was hot stuff. After I finished it I just bought regular Japanese ramen; it was not as cheap as it often was in the U.S.

Urr...anyway...is there any sign of ramen existing in the Mistborn world?

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »
When I was in Japan I ate ramen with egg almost every morning (since I couldn't get decent sugar-free cereal there). A previous English teacher had left a huge pack of Thai (?) ramen in the apartment. It was hot stuff. After I finished it I just bought regular Japanese ramen; it was not as cheap as it often was in the U.S.

Urr...anyway...is there any sign of ramen existing in the Mistborn world?

closest thing i could find were the mistcloaks...

ooh, scratch that. There was the soup the Skaa were eating at the very beginning--Lord Tresting's slaves...
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2008, 04:51:42 PM »
Ramen mistcloaks!  Now that's an amusing idea!

I think the skaa soup had mostly vegetables, not pasta, though.

Maybe book 3 will show huge stockpiles of ramen in TLR's storehouses, and the skaa will all subsist on them and cook them over the Ashmounts.
He ate my horse.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »
So I've been wondering for the past few days just how long it's going to be until Elend's allomantic powers run out.  I mean, the fifteenth metal (or whichever one it was that he ate to become a mistborn) is just another metal, right?  Won't it run out eventually?  It's just been burning slowly ever since it dropped into his belly, started burning by itself, and giving him allomantic powers.  So, is he going to be in the middle of a huge fight, saving Vin or some such, and his powers will disappear, leaving him with jack squat just before he's crushed or made into mincemeat pie?  I mean, come on!  It's a metal.  All metal burns and runs out.  Vin burns flakes and they last a long time.  The stuff that got put into Elend was a pretty big bead of metal.  That'd last a long time.  So the year interim anything to worry about.  Especially if the stuff burns slowly.  Anyone else care to comment?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
Well, atium comes in beads too, but it burns faster than anything else.  So I'm not sure the amount of metal tells us much about how long it's going to last.  Your theory is fascinating, but it seems to me that the metal has caused a permanent change, because I can't imagine even a large bead of the slowest-burning metal still continually burning after a year - which we already know is true.  I guess we'll see, though!

I was complaining about characters whose main point of interest is their immense powers (in the context of Vin being stronger than Kelsier, then Elend being stronger than Vin), and Ookla has assured me that the third book won't disappoint me in this regard.  Elend losing his powers would be one way for this to happen.  So it's certainly possible, but at this point I'm leaning towards the bead granting permanent Allomancy.  I wouldn't be too surprised if Elend and/or Vin and/or all the Allomancers in the world lose their powers in some other fashion, though.
He ate my horse.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
I'm fairly certain the bead would grant permanent Allomancy somehow. Both Vin at the end of MB2 and in MB3 sample chapter 3 said that they believed they had found the source of Allomancy. It's too bad they aren't specific about the process... but if it was indeed the Source, then it would have a permanent effect.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »
In regard to the power running out, I agree with Chaos. I think it's more likely that it's a permanent change.

However, I seem to remember Brandon saying somewhere that the magic systems will be pretty messed up at the end of the third book. Possibly because of the mists. So if that's true, then it makes sense that there would be no more allomancy at that time.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence