Author Topic: Game Ideas  (Read 3739 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Game Ideas
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:11:20 PM »
Oh oh, I just had this interesting idea for a video game.

It's a remake of Oregon Trail. However, it's a Lord of the Rings edition.

Something everyone could play, even on an old desktop.

"Oh no! Pippin has come down with a fever. He slows your party down for 3 days."

I'm sure someone has other crazy game ideas. Anyone?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Game Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
Heh, that's pretty cool Gemm.  That's defiantly worth 1 Fellfrosh point, so I'll give you one of mine.

I have several ideas, but they're all ones I want to make so I don't want to talk about them just yet (mostly because it will want me to make them, which I just don't have time yet with the 3 websites I'm making at the moment and that doesn't include my day job).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:32:06 PM »
Excellent! You should discuss some of these with me if you'd like. I enjoy designing things, in the sense that I don't have to draw, and if I do then it will be a poor drawing.
                William S. Burroughs

GLE

• Level 3
  • blah blah blah blah blah.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »
(sigh) i wish i had any idea how and what to use to make a game. my friend has made a couple. they were 2-d but what can u expect from some 14-15 year old kids...  ;D

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:20:47 PM »
I would really like to make a game that takes half-life mod Natural Selection to the next level.

If you're unfamilar with the game and don't feel like digging through the site, it's an RTS/FPS hybrid, where (for the marines at least) one person plays the "commander" and gets a typical minimap/macro view of the map.  He drops buildings, directs resource collection (for weapons and other items) and guides units in combat.  The units, however, are actual players who get a first person view of the battlefield and have to fight each other.

The mix of strategic skill and reflexes makes for VERY exciting matches and I'd love to throw in things like vehicles (ground and air) more than two races, and a meta game that allows a campaign instead of just individual matches.

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
(sigh) i wish i had any idea how and what to use to make a game. my friend has made a couple. they were 2-d but what can u expect from some 14-15 year old kids...  ;D

If you truly want to make a game then  Gamedev.net has an FAQ on how to start making games.  It answers the basic questions and points you to excellent resources on beginning programming and then using that knowledge for games.

Of course, if you're a talented digital artist or musician you can check out the "help wanted" forums and join any number of (likely non-paying) independent game projects there.  Many programmers are artisically challenged and would love your help.

Completing a game, 2D or 3D, is a remarkable achievement.  To do so at 14-15 years old is even more remarkable.  Did they release what they did?  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 03:32:48 PM by Linternet »

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:46:51 PM »
Hmmm, it would seem this Natural Selection mod has taken what that one game... what was it again, I forget?, and actually achieves a  bit better at its goal than the other one did.... What was it, Savage?
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 04:34:48 PM »
Also GLE, Microsoft has free video tutorials on how to make classic arcade games in their free version of Visual Studio in either C++ or Visual Basic both of which wouldn't hurt you to know if you are interested in doing a job for Multimedia or the internet.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx
http://www.upgradeyourgame.com/?LOC=MSwxrdUi

I personally make all my games in Flash, it's a very easy environment to code in, but it's not free.  I'll probably switch somewhat to C++ now that XNA (ie the free Xbox 360 developer's kit) is coming out soon.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:36:07 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:22 PM »
I want to make a massive multiplayer combination of Sim City and Rampage. You manage your city and build it up and send out your giant monster to destroy all of the other players' cities.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:55:49 PM »
that would seriously, completely rock

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 05:01:16 PM »
Kind of like Black and White, except without the tedious boredom of having to keep an eye on your monster, and other micromanagement things.
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 05:03:07 PM »
something like that

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 04:02:17 AM »
I'd like a browser game that had a persistent world and proper city building, Civ City style. So we could have our own peninsula and look at each others cities and trade between us. A city building game where instead of npc cities with automatic traders, you have other player cities scattered around and your directly competing for immigrants and striving to become the best city in the world. Probably best if there was occasional meta events, such as a large invasion that required everyone to raise an army and send it to fight.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 10:45:57 AM »
see, you guys are making me drool. I don't think about new games often enough

THe "browser" game made me think though. I don't mind installing a new program to do this, but it'd be nice to have a game with multiple windows you could resize and rearrange along with the other windows on your screen, so you could, say, watch IRC chat at the bottom while having a window with your city at the top and a browser open to see other cities. I'm ADD. I demand a game that takes this into account.

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:55:42 AM »
With most Windows games you can press ALT-Enter to put the game in a window and open whatever else you want.   You'll need a powerful computer to pull it off with recent 3D shooters but you should have no problems with city-sim games.