Author Topic: Italics  (Read 4723 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Italics
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 03:04:43 AM »
By the way, HOORAY for Brenna who has internet access at her new place!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 03:32:47 AM »
What's the kerning on this line so we don't have to break that word, but without making it appear too small in relation to the rest of the paragraph?

TRACKING, not kerning! Shame on you!

Tracking is letter spacing over a whole line or paragraph or document. Kerning is letter spacing between two specific letters (done differently from the letters around them).

Kerning is most often an issue in headlines or chapter titles or other areas where the text is really big and the font's idiosyncrasies really stand out.

HoM, they can change that for a reprint, can't they? I definitely agree with you on that. Couldn't convince them to change it on the blueline?

That doesn't seem to me like something a typesetter would do, actually adding words.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 09:35:04 AM »
I had tracking and then switched it. I always get the two mixed up.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks Ookla, that was bugging me all yesterday, but I didn't want ot say anything about it. Tracking and kerning may seem interchangable, but they're not really. Kerning is almost always done (or should always be done) when working with titles or display text. Tracking is more for body text.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 12:05:10 PM »
I would like to say that I only learned the word 'kerning' about three days ago.  It was that conversation where I also learned that we're not supposed to doublespace after periods anymore.  News to me.  You English majors think you're so smart.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 12:15:50 PM »
the only time I've used "kerning" is on graphics with adding text. So uh... yeah. I've never used it for body text.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2004, 01:46:27 PM »
I would like to say that I only learned the word 'kerning' about three days ago.  It was that conversation where I also learned that we're not supposed to doublespace after periods anymore.  News to me.  You English majors think you're so smart.

I was a linguistics major...

But anyway two-spacing is a typesetting issue. In manuscripts it shouldn't matter what you do (it's an easy find&replace change they can do later). Actually I think if you're using traditional Courier manuscript format, you should still two-space. Not two-spacing is most important in justified text.

As for kerning/tracking, I think it's a common thing to confuse. They ARE very simliar, and they're right next to each other in Photoshop and InDesign...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 01:48:13 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2004, 04:16:14 PM »

Heh.   My editor mentioned the double-spacing thing too.  He suggested that I no longer use it in manuscripts, but it just looks wrong to me to do otherwise.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2004, 04:21:01 PM »
I stopped doing that years ago. Probably due to Dave's class. But I think I learned it even earlier than that.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2004, 04:42:45 PM »
I don't really feel like stopping, since it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.  I type really fast right now, and it's almost entirely automatic to double-space.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2004, 05:17:29 PM »
if you try though, and don't beat yourself over the mistakes, it improves on it's own. At least, it did for me. I still occassionally whack the space bar twice when I'm going really fast. but not much anymore.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2004, 05:37:50 PM »
I can't remember when I switched--probably about the same time I switched from DOS to Windows, or when I was a typesetter on a Unix system back in 96, or something. It's been a long while. So it's completely habit for me to only space once.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2004, 09:28:16 PM »
I think I finally changed in college, but, like Saint, I also still occasionally put the double space.  Stupid people changing the rules all the time. Blah.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy