Author Topic: Italics  (Read 4724 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Italics
« on: August 17, 2004, 02:22:05 PM »
So, you're supposed to italicize book titles.  But how come people write The Bible instead of The Bible?  Is this an exception to the rule?  Or do people just do it wrong?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Italics
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »
You can look at it either as an exception, or as a collection of books.

The second one doesn't really fly for me, since you don't write Ezekiel 37:15-17, you put that in plain text too.

Don't look at me. I don't make the rules.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 02:54:06 PM »
Well, the Chicago Manual of Style does, and this is what they say (14th ed. if any of you have it--under Religious Names and Terms):

7.77 In few areas is an author more tempted to overcapitalize or an editor more loath to urge a lowercase style than in religion. (etc.) -- they go on to say how they urge a "down style" in referring to religious terms.

7.87 Capitalize names--and use roman type--for the Judeo-Christian Bible and its versions and editions.
(gives a list)

7.88 Other sacred or highly revered works are similarly treated:
Bhagavad Gita
Book of the Dead
Dead Sea Scrolls
Sunnah
Sutra
Talmud
etc.

So it's not just the Bible, it's all religious texts (in Chicago Style, at least).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 02:58:22 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 03:10:22 PM »
ok. What's a "down style" and what exactly are writers more prone to capitalize when it comes to religion? and what's the justification for the rule?

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 04:00:43 PM »
7.77   In few areas is an author more tempted ot overcapitalize or an editor more loath to urge a lowercase style than in religion. That this is probably due to unanalyzed acceptance of the pious customs of an earlier age, to an unconscious feeling about words as in themselves numinous, or to fear of offending religious persons is suggessted by the fact that overcapitalization is seldom seen in texts on the religions of antiquity or more recent localized, relatively unsophisticated religions. It is in the contexts of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism that we go too far. The editors of the University of Chicago Press urge a spare, down style in this field as in others: capitalize what are clearly proper nouns and adjectives, and lowercase everything else except to avoid ambiguity.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 04:08:06 PM »
ah, so like, Him and His when referring to God.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 04:13:49 PM »
I've decided that the editors of the University of Chicago Press have been given too much power. They are treated like the popes of the editing world.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 04:25:34 PM »
Yes, they are. Even though many of their recommendations are shockingly inadequate for dealing with fiction.

We need a NEW comprehensive style guide for fiction (including the text of sequential art).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 04:26:35 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 04:30:36 PM »
uhm.. I hesitate to agree with needing guidelines for the text of comics (I don't like the term "sequential art" because it is more limiting, in my view, than the "funny" implication of the term "comics"). I guess I can agree with SOME guidelines, but due to the graphical nature of the genre, there needs to be much more leeway for variations from the norm, espcially in formatting.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 04:35:28 PM »
     Then again, a lot of the really good writers don't follow a certain style religiously. When you don't have to worry about things like that so much you have more room to be creative. Tolkien in particular changed the language around a lot to suit his own style, to build personality for his world. His editors changed a lot of stuff that he didnt want changed in the original copy of LOTR. So I don't think a new style is really necessary, authors should just continue to ignore rules that limit the effect of their books.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 04:43:06 PM »
Uhm.. it's not that simple. The style we're talking about are accepted presentations. What you capitalize. what you underline. etc. Verbage adn phraseology aren't at issue so much. It's more of an editing concern than a writing concern.

But you're a cute little linguistic anarchist, you are.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 05:07:39 PM »
     Oh thanks, since I covet the designation of cute so much. I was just making the point that just because soemthing is accepted doesn't mean that you have to follow it. Work closely with your editor and you can get it to how you want it without giving up style.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 05:11:43 PM »
well, the essential thing about that, is I don't disagree. But, if Art is knowing breaking the rules to a certain end, then there have to be rules to break. You don't want to break all the rules all the time, so it's handy to know what the rules are.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 05:15:34 PM »
     Yeah, you do have to know the rules well, but I don't think we need a new set of rules. The ability to bend them where you think they should be should give you all the flexibility that you need. Unless you think that the majority of the rules are worthless, then you might need a new system.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 05:15:51 PM »

Work closely with your editor and you can get it to how you want it without giving up style.

So says you.  My editor and I argued for several hours over the italicizing of two words.  She wanted it and I didn't.  In the end, she reluctantly agreed with me, and then it went off to typeset, and somebody else changed it.  It made me mad.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 05:16:23 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com