Author Topic: Mien Stomph  (Read 6402 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Mien Stomph
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2004, 09:20:50 AM »
You DID ask what we thought of the story. If you don't want people to say what they think of the story, then don't ask about it.

The fact that you're half-Jewish and live on a cliff is not in the story. That needs to be IN THE STORY to work with the story. No one ever assumes that just because a piece of fiction is written in the first person that the narrator is the same person as the author. ANd even if he is, that the fact will be the same as the real life. You've never really encountered dinosaurs, nazi or otherwise, so why should we assume you haven't changed anything else. Those descriptions need to be in the story.

And really, you need to just shut it about Sprig not liking your story on the basis that it makes light of Nazism and the Holocaust. REally. You're being an immature jerk about it, acting like a 5 year old. Just because someone makes a different value judgement than you does NOT mean that they are reactionary and misguided.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2004, 07:34:17 PM »
quite frankly I think you guys are all over reacting to this story.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 07:37:22 PM »
you are ridiculous TFO. You wanted our opinions. You whined and got obnoxious when someone didn't like it. Then you accuse us of over reacting. Excuse me, I have to go talk to someone who can hold up their end of the conversation.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »
you go do that SE, you guys take everything so seriously. everything.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2004, 07:45:08 PM »
you say that as if it's wrong.

and it avoids the point, that your charge is absurd, since you yourself are taking very seriously

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2004, 08:18:27 PM »
Whoa, I think that everyone needs to take a breath. T.F.O. I get what you are saying and it makes sense, I agree that some people dont know that it is alright to joke about stuff like that sometimes. Grim circumstances should have jokes to break the tension surrounding them. Look at the survey a little while back that made light of trouble that was going on for Fell and HoM. They enjoyed it, it was a little break from what was going on. In the same manner though T.F.O., you need to know that if you are going to write stuff like this people might get upset about it. Be a little more gracious receiving their criticism.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2004, 09:18:25 PM »
The only critisism I was upset about was spriggans, and as for everyone elses I'm just saying it was never meant tobe some grand work it was a funny litle writing exercise that I thought they might enjoy, but appaerently I was wrong.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2004, 09:53:20 PM »
Well, if it helps, I enjoyed it, and got your point before you said it. I thought it was good, the story and the message. Then again, I took it as a little story that you just went through and didnt take too much time on.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2004, 09:57:31 PM »
at least someone enjoyed it...
I thought they would get that it was just a little thing when I said it was for a class.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2004, 10:24:35 PM »
er...when it's for a class, I'd assume you'd get graded on it, so you'd want it to actually be any good, and therefore you'd actually want honest critiques.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2004, 10:27:11 PM »
uhm... just because it's for a class and it's a little thing, ... that doesn't make it any better

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »
    I am saying that if you look at it as something that he meant it as something simple to enjoy, and not as a grand masterpiece, then it achieved its goal (for me at least). Yes it has its faults. If you acknowledge that there are going to be faults because he didnt put a lot of work into it then it is a more enjoyable read.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2004, 11:35:08 PM »
See, just because you expect something to be crap, doesn't make it any less crap. You have lower expectations, but it's still crap.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2004, 11:43:30 PM »
ya know JP A lot of simple things that are fun to watch or laugh at are still bad.
and stop swearing. and before you qoute me and say I was swearing too, I was swearin too, but now I have calmed down
also if the the forum sensors the "s" word into nuts, why doesnt it sensor the "c" word?
Oh by the way, miss guss gave it an A+, anywho just thought you'd like that little tid-bit, also I never try my hardest for class because I know I can get away(with flying colours) with less.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:47:05 PM by arkalith »

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2004, 11:43:36 PM »
That isnt necessarily true. A lot of what makes a story good is opinion. Since reading a story with a different expectation changes your opinion of it, it can make it a better or worse story. I agree that it doesnt change the story, but it can change how much you like it, and that is one of the main things that counts toward overall quality.