Author Topic: A letter to Orson Scott Card about Mira Mirror  (Read 5234 times)

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
A letter to Orson Scott Card about Mira Mirror
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
Hi,

I know I don't write in this forum a lot, but I do read it a lot, and Peter often adds my comments to his posts...

So anyway, I wrote the following letter to Orson Scott Card this week.  I sent it through his website, where I read the review, so I don't know if he'll even see and/or read it.  All the same, it's about something that has been bothering me for a few weeks, and I wanted to get some input from other people on the subject, so here it is.  You can read the original review here: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2005-01-09.shtml and he repeats his endorsement here: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2007-01-14.shtml  The actual book in question was an OK minor-character-in-a-fairytale-becomes-heroine-of-fantasy-novel outing, but it was very dark, I didn't like the main character, couldn't believe in the motivations of several supporting characters, and hated the ending.

Dear Orson Scott Card:

After reading your review of Mira Mirror, I checked it out from the library and read it.  I pretty much agree with your review right up until the ending.

When Mira realizes that the witch is her "sister" who's still around after all this time, she naturally compares their relationship to the relationship of the two girls whose lives she's messing with.  She sees that they can overcome the damage done by lies and betrayal because they truly love and trust one another.  That's fine -- even if I find it hard to believe the series of events that led to this relationship.

The problem comes when Mira discovers, in her own memories, that all her “sister” needed from her was that same unconditional love.  Then, when she offers it at the climax, it magically fixes everything and redeems everybody and they all die happily ever after.  I agree that love can be powerfully transformative, and that just loving somebody regardless of their faults is, in general, a good way to be happy in life. 

But Mira's sister was evil, manipulative, abusive murderer.  All through her childhood, Mira loved and trusted her against all rational reason to do so.  The fact that there was a noticeable barrier between them was not Mira's fault for not loving enough, but her sister's fault for constant betrayal. 

I have read several of your essays that condemn "evil" books and movies for subtly perpetuating lies that lead to violence.  I remember hearing you speak years ago (at Life The Universe & Everything at BYU) about how the redemption at the end of Return of the Jedi ignored the fact that Darth Vader was a genocidal warlord cut from the same cloth as Hitler’s general Herman Goering, and that just suddenly saying he was sorry wasn't good enough.

This book is evil in exactly the same way.  It perpetuates the lie that if an abused person could just love their abuser enough, they'd change and become the good person that only the abused seems to be able to see.  This is the lie that keeps women going back to abusive boyfriends and husbands even after they've had broken bones or worse.  This perpetuates the lie that the abusers tell their victims--that the abuse is somehow their fault.

It may be possible that you didn't see this because you've never been in a position to see that sort of relationship in action.  If you've never been abused, then that's a wonderful thing.  I hope you'll thank your lucky stars, and then stop recommending books that glorify the "noble self sacrifice" and "unconditional love" of victims who are so blinded and trapped by their abusers that they keep going back for more until it kills them (other notable works in this category that are often glorified, though not necessarily by you: the musical Oliver! and Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree).

The thing is, that I have been there.  I was emotionally and physically abused by my college roommate.  I say this, not to get your pity, but to let you know that I know from experience how incredibly hard it is to get out of this sort of relationship.  Jenny was the very best friend I had ever had in my whole life, and I still mourn losing her friendship more than I regret getting divorced from my first husband--and this is the person who regularly had me in tears for days, sleeping under my desk at work, and afraid to come home until I could work up the guts to apologize for saying the sort of thing that would make her hurt me.  We don't need more books out there--especially ones marketed to preteen girls--that tell people like me that we could have made everything all better if we'd just love the person more.

I'm sorry if I've annoyed you by writing this letter -- I know you were expressing your opinion about a book that to you seemed to show the "healing power of love and kindness."  I've tried for weeks to just get over it and let it go.  But I respect you too much not to let you know when something you say (innocently in all probability) could cause more harm than good, and I hope you'll take this letter in that spirit.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:44:32 PM by Spriggan »
Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: A letter to Orson Scott Card about Mira Mirror
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:58:28 PM »
I'm not sure I understand. Why write it to Orson Scott Card instead of writing to Mette Harrison, the author?

You make valid points--I don't like The Giving Tree because of the underlying message that few catch on to. I haven't read Mira Mirror all the way through yet (I tend to be ADD lately), but I have read others of Mette's books and I've met her in person and I don't think her intention is to advocate evil. It might be to get her readers to think deeply, though, which I think it definitely did in your case, even if it made you want to throw the book across the room.

Far be it from me (who grew up in an abusive home) to tell someone that they're wrong--your interpretation of the book is just as valid as mine. Your critiques are definitely valid. I just don't understand why you're writing to OSC. Would you write to another reviewer, say a reviewer at the NYT or a local paper, if you disagreed with them?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

origamikaren

• Level 3
  • The World is Quiet Here
    • View Profile
    • tiggywinkle
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:14:39 PM »
Yes, I would write to another newspaper reviewer if their review of a book or moviegot me to spend time on something that I thought was worth it--especially if I had agreed with them in the past.  If my friend told me they liked a book or movie, and I disagreed, I'd tell them.  If a complete stranger, who I felt no connection with, told me something was great, and I disagreed, I would not seek them out to tell them.  I don't know anything about Mette Harrison, except that she's the sort of person who would write this book.  That doesn't make me think that she'd be especially open to my viewpoint, so I'm not going to waste my time figuring out how to get in touch with her--I'm too lazy.

-Karen
Check out my daily poetry selection and musings at http://karenspoetryspot.blogspot.com

-Karen

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:31:57 AM »
That feels like a really odd way to look at it to me, is all. When I read a book, I might decide that I didn't agree with a reviewer's viewpoint and then discuss why I didn't like it with friends, but I wouldn't condemn the author for writing the book. I don't agree with the way Philip Pullman hammered home the message of His Dark Materials but I recognize that he has talent and the literary merit of the trilogy, and especially the first book, and how it got people reading and thinking and discussing.

I'd never dream of telling a reviewer who endorsed it, whether I had previously agreed with their opinion in the past or not, that because Pullman thinks that we should kill the idea of God that he should never have endorsed the book because he may not have had experience with something. Who am I to know what the reviewer has had experience with? Perhaps they have had similar experiences that I have no idea about.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:41:47 AM »
What I find interesting is that I read this book and had none of the reactions to it you had, Karen. Perhaps it is because, like you said, I haven't been in that situation. Now that you point it out, I can see where you are coming from, and I kind of agree with you. I wonder how many others, though, have been like me: They read it, they think, "Well, that was nice and interesting," and then they forget about it. (Not my favorite book--but I'd recommend it to someone who likes fairytale re-tellings.)

My main complaint with the book was that I had a hard time believing that the main character, as a mirror, could see all the things she saw. I remember there was a specific scene at dinner where she was under the table, yet was describing what was going on as if she could see it perfectly. I think that would have bothered me less if it was in 3rd person limited, but because it was in 1st person pov and supposed to be entirely from her view, it didn't work for me and became "unbelievable," throwing me out of the story.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »
It didn't strike me as odd that she'd write to Orson about his review, instead of the author.  Though now that others have mentioned I can see why it might have.

It felt perfectly alright to me because he went on a rant a few of his columns ago about evil books that deliberately mislead people into an inexcusably silly viewpoint.  I don't think that the author of Mira Mirror was deliberately mis-leading people into the mindset that o-karen was objecting to but I certainly see her point.  And considering his statements about evil books, Mira Mirror fits the same mold he described.  So I can see thinking that he might be interested in a seeming contradiction in the body of his work, more so than the author would be.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
I don't think getting people "reading and thinking and discussing" excuses a truly evil book. There's a difference between disagreeing with a writer's viewpoint and saying "This is a dangerous book that, intentionally or unintentionally, perpetuates a real-world lives-destroying lie."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
I agree. But I'm saying I just don't agree that the author is a bad person for having written the book or that Orson Scott Card is a bad person for having recommended the book--a book that they may not believe is evil.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
Unless it's the Necronomicon, then ya...their evil.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 01:33:09 PM »
insane Cthulhu worshippers are treated with such discrimination. Sure, they're evil, but that doesn't mean they're bad people.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 06:09:21 AM »
SE, your very argument is flawed.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 01:37:47 PM »
no, YOU'RE out of order!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »
I don't recall ever implying that I was in order. Once again though, your argument is flawed, I didn't say you were out of order, I said your argument was flawed.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 12:09:30 AM »
actually a flaw can be quite valuable, take for instance the Spirit of Saint Louis stamp with the upside down airplane.

priceless...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!