Author Topic: Pasteurization...uh...  (Read 4087 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Pasteurization...uh...
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 09:26:36 PM »
   It isnt nostalgia Mr. P, I had an apple that they didnt mess with recently and it was so amazingly good. It might not be that the other apples are altered, but it sure seems like it.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 09:34:35 PM »
I can't tell you what it is then, Archon.  But I can tell you, with certainty, it is not the genetic modifications.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 11:50:34 PM »
On a similar note (and at the risk of offending those on the board who probably ought to be offended):

People here in Utah, particularly Davis County, are voting this fall on whether we should flouridate the water.  And I am amazed at how strong the opposition is!  The American Dental Association says it's excellent for our teeth, and the American Medical Association says that it has no harmful effects -- so why in the world are people opposed to it?

My theory: because people are stupid.

Flouride was an illegal substance in Japan until about 6 years ago, the reason being is that if you drink several gallons of pure flouride it can cause cancer.  Of course, this is comming from the people that won't eat burnt toast (or any slightly burned food) becsaue it can cause cancer as well.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 01:46:32 AM »
I was going to remark yet again how weird the Japanese are, but there's no point anymore.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 01:46:53 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 06:04:40 AM »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 08:45:11 AM »
Where do you get these things?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 09:04:04 AM »
Ok, so I went to the dentist today, since about a third of one particular tooth was discovered the other day to be absent, presumed gone. Incidently, it was simply a case of chipped enamal, but while I was there, he said I had good teeth, and asked me where I grew up, claiming they must add fluride to the water.

I pointed out that he was right, but thought best not to mention that the taste of the stuff is so disgusting I filtered it out before drinking.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 02:09:58 PM »
EUOL I find that less weird than the flouride thing.  That is comprehensible, because I knew plenty of Americans who have that fear (There's a name for it, by the way).

"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 03:23:21 PM »
I can't tell you what it is then, Archon.  But I can tell you, with certainty, it is not the genetic modifications.

I admit to being very curious  how one can state with such certainty that genetic modifications do not change the taste of fruit.  At first glance it is not obvious to me that it wouldn't.  

Curious not confrontational.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 03:31:28 PM »

I demand to know how one can state with such certainty that genetic modifications do not change the taste of fruit.  At first glance it is not obvious to me that it wouldn't.  

Confrontational not curious.

:P
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 06:44:02 PM »
Are you mocking me? >:(

Defend yourself!

Ow, let go of my arm, I was just kidding.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 08:29:14 PM »
/me morphs into Sean Connery

I suddenly remembered my Adams... " I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondle."
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 10:05:45 PM »
Everyone knows that fluoride is a communist plot to corrupt our precious bodily fluids. And  by the way, I did learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 12:04:12 AM »
Of course I like talking to you Dimitri. Are you drunk Dimitri?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:12:49 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 04:36:06 AM »

I demand to know how one can state with such certainty that genetic modifications do not change the taste of fruit.  At first glance it is not obvious to me that it wouldn't.  

Confrontational not curious.

:P

Simple, I'm a scientist.  I've got my bachelor's in biology and I've focused on genetics since high school (we had a great high school program).  Genetic engineering was something I was always curious about and have done a ton of reading and lit review.  Since plants are the vast majority of subjects at this point, and I come from an agricultural background, I got to know quite a lot about modified plants.  

So I know what I'm talking about here.