Poll

Which of these names looks the best to you?

cepel
mec
kosa
smrtelny mec
kosa zubatej
vrah
zabyjak
zbran

Author Topic: Potential Names for a Fantasy Book Magic User  (Read 4853 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Potential Names for a Fantasy Book Magic User
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:12:03 AM »
So I'm trying to come up with a name for a type of magic user who essentially focuses on killing other magic users and mythical creatures.  The thing is, it's for a fantasy book that takes place in Slovakia, and I'd like to use a Slovak word for it.  But a lot of Slovak words look just plain old wacky when they go into English.  This is where you come in.  Do any of these look good?  I'd rather not tell you what they mean at this point.  Maybe I will once the discussion goes on for a bit.  Vote in the poll, or just post your thoughts here.  Thanks!

edit: added "type of"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 05:28:34 PM by Parker »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Potential Names for a Fantasy Book Magic User
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of any of them. However, of the group, Kosa is hands down my favorite.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
... a lot of Slovak words look just plain old wacky when they go into English. 

Most of them look like jibberish and the reader really needs to be able to at leat nominally pronounce it. I vote for Kosa, too. Better yet, come up with some more words.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »
I'm with SE and Nessa, I voted Kosa because it's the only one that's readable.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »
Me three.  Kosa reads.  One of the biggest complaints I've seen with fantasy books is when the names of people/places, etc are so foreign to an English reader that they can't even figure out how to pronounce them in their own head much less talk to anyone else about them.

I understand wanting to use a Slovic word, but you have to consider your intended audience and what they will read as Pronouncable.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:28:11 PM »
I had no trouble pronouncing kosa zubatej and I feel like the "bane of all other magic users"  the "wizard killer" needed a cooler name than just kosa.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:33:43 PM »
I completely agree about names needing to be pronouncable, etc.  Hence this poll.  I speak Slovak, making me tainted from deciding what works and what doesn't--I know how they all sound.  Thanks for the input--keep it coming.  I'll probably post some new ideas in a bit.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
What is the origin of Slovak?  You might look for words there as well.

I'm thinking that if I was to make up a name for something to be used in an English speaking country I might look at Latin or old English words.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 09:22:16 PM »
While I can understand your desier to use words/names based off another language you've got to realise that most people don't care what your modivation was if they cannot read it, or it's too complicated.  What I would do is ditch trying to find a slovic work for you to use and create a new word yourself that sounds slovic, I wouldn't trap myself into a real language like that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 04:04:25 AM »
There's a whole lot of names here that look easier to pronounce. Of course a lot of them are originally from other languages.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 04:28:17 AM »
I have the Slovak names.  But I'd really rather avoid naming a cool wizard by a personal name.  It would be like a Slovak naming an English type of wizard Fred.  "The Fred strode into the room, and all conversations stopped.  The last time a Fred had come to town, half the citizens had ended up turned into poodles."  This wasn't the final list--I was just looking for some feedback, which I'm getting.  I'll talk it over some more with my wife (who's Slovak) and see what else I can dredge up.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
At first glance, I didn't like any of the names. But after looking over them again, I've decided they aren't so bad. Just avoid the consonant heavy names. Vrah and Kosa Zubatej appeal to me the most. Kosa by itself is okay, but it doesn't conjure up an image of a wizard for me like Kosa Zubatej does.

And I agree with avoiding propper names.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 04:48:34 PM »
Ohhhh! I thought you were wanting feedback on a proper name for a Slovak wizard/magic user. One person, I mean. You're asking what to name that type of magic user?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 05:27:42 PM »
That's right.  Sorry about the confusion.  Slovak has a name calendar, as Ookla pointed out.  Thus, finding proper names is a breeze; there are only so many you can choose from.  (Slovaks think our way of making up names and spellings is ridiculous.  Don't get my wife started on it.)  The trouble I've been having is finding a good Slovak word for a type of magician.  For example, the regular words for magic users in Slovak are mag (mage), carodejnik or carodej (wizard), mudrc (wise man) and kuzelnik (magician).  At first I had hoped to use one of those in a compound Slovak word . . . until my wife pointed out that Slovak doesn't do compounds, and they typically resist coining new words.  Thus, to do "mage killer," I couldn't really do magvrah or vrahmag--those would be nonsense words (and the first sounds too much like Mumra (the villain in Thundercats) to me).  You can't put two nouns together.  So I could do maga vrah (killer of mages), or something like that.  (Actually, that's one of the new words I'm thinking about).  This initial poll was to give me an idea of which way to head in the naming process.  My apologies on the confusion of what I was asking for--I'll reword my initial post.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06:02 AM »
Whoa! Yeah, that totally changes things. I like the way maga vrah sounds, as a "class name" per se.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!