Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37594 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
That is something to think about, the power is the power of creation, and is essentially holding Ruin in, so why does Ruin strengthen with the power?  Just reiterating wat Chaos said.  I don't really have any answers.  There is definately something we're missing here though, so let's find it!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »
Odds are we won't know until the third book comes out.  Even then it will be hard to tell, according to Ook if I recall correctly.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

]Accident[

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2008, 02:40:08 AM »
I'm not seeing Ruin and the Deepness as so closely linked. The Deepness began to reassert itself after TLR was slain, began to strengthen, to kill, and to terrorize. Ruin was still held at the WoA for another year. The reason it took a year was only that it took that long for the Well to reach a level of fullness that called strong enough on Vin. TLR was sucking away small bits of the Well's power to use in keeping the Deepness at bay, so it could never get topped off, as it were. Once it did, the pulsing got so strong that Vin couldn't ignore it if she tried.

I do not believe the pulsing at the Well was Ruin calling out to Vin, but I won't discount it as a reasonable theory. I think the inherent power of the Well that could maintain Ruin captive also produced natural allomantic-style pulses.
The preceding message posted entirely by ]Accident[, intentionally.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2008, 03:25:58 AM »
No, the well simply fills every thousand years.  That's why it filled when it did.  Because TLR ruled for NEARLY a thousand years.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2008, 03:35:59 AM »
I'm not seeing Ruin and the Deepness as so closely linked. The Deepness began to reassert itself after TLR was slain, began to strengthen, to kill, and to terrorize. Ruin was still held at the WoA for another year. The reason it took a year was only that it took that long for the Well to reach a level of fullness that called strong enough on Vin. TLR was sucking away small bits of the Well's power to use in keeping the Deepness at bay, so it could never get topped off, as it were. Once it did, the pulsing got so strong that Vin couldn't ignore it if she tried.

I do not believe the pulsing at the Well was Ruin calling out to Vin, but I won't discount it as a reasonable theory. I think the inherent power of the Well that could maintain Ruin captive also produced natural allomantic-style pulses.

However, Ruin was actively manipulating things in the world to move Vin towards the Well of Ascension, most notably the time when Ruin altered the final line in the rubbing of Kwaan's words (from "Alendi must not reach the Well of Ascension, for he must not release the thing that is imprisoned there" to "for he must not take the power for himself."). It goes to show you that despite this "imprisonment", Ruin has substantial power. It's horrifying to think of him even more powerful than that.

From that reasoning, it is apparent that just because Ruin is imprisoned does not mean he isn't using the Deepness. Besides, from Kwaan's unaltered Steel Plate, he explains: "Something has taken control of our religion, something nefarious, something that cannot be trusted. It misleads, and it shadows. It uses Alendi to destroy, leading him along a path of death and sorrow. It is pulling him toward the Well of Ascension, where the millennial power has gathered. I can only guess that it sent the Deepness as a method of making mankind more desperate, of pushing us to do as it wills."

It would be unnecessarily complicated if the Deepness wasn't caused by Ruin since the link was established there. It wouldn't be good from a narrative structure, in my mind.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2008, 03:39:41 AM »
But like Kwaan says, he's only guessing. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2008, 04:37:19 AM »
My theory is that the Deepness, like the Mist Spirit, are separate entities from both Ruin and Preservation.  Alendi does state that he has seen into the mind of the Deepness.  Some think that he is seeing into Ruin's mind, but when Ruin speaks to Vin, it pretends to be kindly, but when Alendi sees into the Deepness, he sees a creature who destroys simply because that is what it does.  I think Ruin and the Deepness are not linked, but are simply working towards a common goal: world destruction.  After reading Chapter 1 of HOA, I am under the impression the the Mist Spirit, was the orginal and true Hero of Ages of the prophecy, sent to stop the Deepness and possible trap Ruin.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2008, 09:30:14 PM »
STOOOOOOOOOOOP! Everyone is forgetting a  very important fact in the book...you have all become like the terris people of the past, you must remember what....i cant remember his name of the top of my head...the dude how first announced Alendi the HOA....remember he says that the prophecies have been altered, corrupted...something wants the HOA that it has described...someone like vin who can resist power to reach the well....that is not the ORIGINAL prophecy....i say that either Sazed or the Steel inquistors will find the original Prophecy...and in it shall we have the clues or signs of who it is...until then it can be anyone and everyone, it could be Spook even.....hmmm...Spook? Well think about what i said and then anaylze the matter...who will be HOA? Its harder to answer now right? Sanderson is such a dog.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »
WE know the prophecy has been corrupted, we've just been going on parts that we believe to still be in their original form.  We could of course be very wrong.  It is a theory after all.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
STOOOOOOOOOOOP! Everyone is forgetting a  very important fact in the book...you have all become like the terris people of the past, you must remember what....i cant remember his name of the top of my head...the dude how first announced Alendi the HOA....remember he says that the prophecies have been altered, corrupted...something wants the HOA that it has described...someone like vin who can resist power to reach the well....that is not the ORIGINAL prophecy....i say that either Sazed or the Steel inquistors will find the original Prophecy...and in it shall we have the clues or signs of who it is...until then it can be anyone and everyone, it could be Spook even.....hmmm...Spook? Well think about what i said and then anaylze the matter...who will be HOA? Its harder to answer now right? Sanderson is such a dog.

Right. Which is why I do not come up with theories whether someone is, in fact, the Hero, because the knowledge is so corrupted. The only theory I defend is that there is a Hero of Ages in some form (in other words, the Hero itself was not a ploy created by Ruin, but rather corrupted by Ruin). Of course, I could still be wrong on that point, too.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2008, 03:34:04 AM »
Ok. I am pretty sure that there is a HOA, and i am pretty sure that there will be another way...i mean prophecies are supposed to forsee these things coming.....maybe there is another prophecy that warns us of the RUIN...from the same people the mist spirit is from??? What do you think...will the true propecy be Terris or will another people's Prophecy arise...maybe the Inquistors have a Prophecy??? Why else would they abandon their stronghold??? I bet you their prophecy has begun...

On another note. What if the HOA is all three inquistor, Feru and an Allo? that would be awesome......Marsh Might become the HOA....thats not a bad idea...I bet you all that the new Prophecy is not someone who can resist the power of the well but the power of the Ruin...The Prophecy is vague...The Deepness could have changed it from The RUIN...to the ruin of the power...This might be the slight change he was speaking of....Marsh? He was infact the one who cared the most, more even the Kel--if you think really far back to the begining of the trilogy, when he and Kel first argued about the plan. He does deserve to be the hero, but im not sure. Wow im rambling. Ok. Tell me what you all think.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2008, 04:17:34 AM »
Hmmmmmmm... Eeeeenteresting....
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »
Tell me what you all think.

I think you should trade in some of your excess question marks and ellipses for a shift key and a grammar check button.

But yes, I do think the idea of Marsh as HOA has some merit.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
On another note. What if the HOA is all three inquistor, Feru and an Allo? that would be awesome......Marsh Might become the HOA....thats not a bad idea...I bet you all that the new Prophecy is not someone who can resist the power of the well but the power of the Ruin...The Prophecy is vague...The Deepness could have changed it from The RUIN...to the ruin of the power...This might be the slight change he was speaking of....Marsh? He was infact the one who cared the most, more even the Kel--if you think really far back to the begining of the trilogy, when he and Kel first argued about the plan. He does deserve to be the hero, but im not sure. Wow im rambling. Ok. Tell me what you all think.
I concur with SarahG. Hmmm.  I like this idea. . . now we just need more ways to fit him into the prophecy.  He is tall isn't he?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
I think you should trade in some of your excess question marks and ellipses for a shift key and a grammar check button.

ok. i will try harder next times....if you wiil please for give me. i THaNK you%

And your damn right it has merit!
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"