Author Topic: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread  (Read 45484 times)

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2006, 07:42:55 PM »

Fellfrosch, yes, Laketown is the spot. Do you know the area?

I highly suggest that if somone named Bard runs for mayor, you elect him.  ;)

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2006, 09:01:02 PM »
but I'd be willing to get you into the Hugo ceremony pre-party (I can bring a guest) and into the Tor party (where I can bring a guest) as well as give you firm introductions to my editor and my agent.

You're killing me. Killing me.

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2006, 10:56:44 PM »
I'll ro-sham-bo anyone for EUOL's guest slot to the Tor party  ;D

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2006, 12:00:47 AM »
Brandon,

I need some advice about this trip. My wife made a huge concession tonight and I *could* go, but I need to simply run my situation by someone who's been there done that to see if it's worth it this year or if I should just wait for next. Wondering if you might feel comfortable emailing me offline or giving me a call.

Thanks,

John
([email protected] or 435.757.0746)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2006, 12:22:30 AM »
Next year's worldcon is in Japan, so unless you're willing to shell out a lot of money then its now or in 2-years.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2006, 12:32:02 AM »
Yeah, that would be a heck of a travel bill. Not to mention the small seats in the Asian airlines that would probably traumatize me.

Of course, I was assuming NASFIC next year and World Fantasy. Worldcon with you guys sounds like a no-brainer-idiot-if-you-miss situation. But there are complications. I just need to know, on a scale of 1 to 10, how to gauge this opportunity. And then I can weigh it against the other things that are pressing me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 12:32:42 AM by John_Brown »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2006, 04:31:15 AM »
If you have a novel ready to submit now, this is a good place to go and strike up conversations with editors (get them to talk about themselves) and if they seem not to be completely annoyed with you then casually say "Oh, I have a novel I'd be interested in mailing to you, are you currently looking at submissions?"

If you don't currently have something, or aren't brave enough for something like the above, it's not hugely worth it. I mean, you'll have a good time, but unless you're going to do something to actively further your career, it won't...further your career. And it's expensive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:31:52 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2006, 10:23:44 AM »
Darnit Ookla, we're trying to convince him to go ;). Whether John has the nerve to talk to editors or not, he will be popular with 14 of the greatest writers ever....us. And as far as expensive....we're all splittin' on gas and rooms. I'm doubting that WorldCon is going to be in Utah any time real soon; being in Cali, it's close enough to drive to. So for a convention like this, this is probably as inexpensive as it is ever going to get.

NOTE: Ookla is right, but FUN....fun is priceless ;D.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:48:01 AM by Christopher »
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »
I would point out that at 20$/night for a room translates out to 80$ for the hotel- the cost if he stayed in my room.  Thats 20$ more than a rental car, but a much more comfortable trip up here and back, and it would allow someone to go who might not otherwise.
I was planning on footing the bill for the rental car anyways (because it would primarily happen because of my friend), so it would be reasonable to have him just pay the difference for the room (20$) while at worldcon.  Having a total hotel bill of 20$ is not to bad for a scenario like this.
Also-  
The things they have scheduled are just incredible.  Some of the authors at worldcon are going the only con they do all year.
The sheer list of avalable panels to sit in on is incredible, with subjects ranging from building matiriels of the future to Hard fantasy to "Buffy the masters thiesis" and all thats in between.
Who can ignore insane and bizzare "The Dungeonmaster", where the audience is actually part of the set, and the actors are monsters?
This is really a once in a lifetime opportunity.  Don't think that the next worldcon will be even close to this one.  They are each incredibe unique opportunities.
In short, go.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2006, 01:15:49 PM »
Wow, I would love to get in on at least one of those guest thingies with EUOL. With two completed manuscripts I'm trying to sell, I want all the editor chat-time I can get.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2006, 01:25:53 PM »
John,

There are several ways to look at this.  It really depends upon what is most important to you about a convention.  You obviously think attending them is important, so I'll look at this from the viewpoint of how much better would this con be for you than attending, say, World Fantasy this same year.

Criteria:  Cost, Paneling, Access to Agents and Editors.

Cost.
This will probably be one of the cheaper big conventions to attend, though not by a huge amount.  Being able to drive instead of fly will probably save a couple hundred bucks.  However, going this late and buying a ticket at the door will cost you a pretty penny--and Worldcon is already more expensive than World Fantasy.  Still, if you decide to stay in the rooms with other people, this could get relatively cheap for a big con experience.  As much as a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

Paneling.
This will have more diverse paneling than World Fantasy.  However, I don't know that the quality will be better.  There will definitely be more options, and simply MORE going on.  If you want to have fun, Worldcon will be far more fun.  If you want to learn about writing, I'd say that they're both probably going to be equal.  WFC may be slightly better.

Access to Agents and Editors
I would normally say WFC would be better than this one.  However, if you go with me, then your chances go up a bit, since I can introduce you to people.  The trick is, I go to a lot of cons--at least one a year.  So, if you waited to go to one with me another time, you could reasonably assume you'd get the same access.  

So, what is the conclusion?  Well, that this would be a good con to attend.  Not terrible to miss, but not at all a bad investment.  It's cheap (for a con) should have good paneling, and should have good access.  However, all around, I'd give this one an eight on a one to ten.  WFC is consistently a six or a seven, however.  If you're looking to shop something, this Worldcon will be an excellent opportunity--but not one that won't come again.  (Though you'll probably have to wait a while.)  If you're looking for fun, it's likely to be one of the best in a while, but fun probably isn't worth the inconvenience.

I'd be happy to call if you still want to chat about it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 01:27:15 PM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2006, 02:48:02 PM »
Brandon,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think you've given me the answer, but it would be helpful to chat for 5 minutes to be sure if you have the time. I'm working on the house today and should be available anytime you want to call.

John Brown

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »
After talking to Brandon and making a difficult choice, I'm sorry to say that I won't be going to Worldcon this year, alas. I am mightily bummed, but that's life.

However, I do want to attend World Fantasy. I heard some of y'all are planning on going to that as well. Perhaps we can work something out there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 06:54:09 PM by John_Brown »

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 20, 2006, 01:50:23 AM »
Well, since John isn't going, we're still 2 seats short, right?

We're okay on rooms....just not rides.

How much time do we have left? Like three days?

Any final suggestions?
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #329 on: August 20, 2006, 07:59:22 PM »
Looks like we'll use the rent a car idea.  I have a few other contacts I might be able to use once we actually get there, but as long as Eric has the car reserved, I'm not worried.  

I do believe that we should start organizing where to meet and the like.  I propose this:

My place, 8:00am for those in my car or Old One's car.  EJS, obviously, will be leaving at a different time, and has already arranged things with his group.

I suggest carpooling over so that fewer cars have to be left on my street.  My address, then, can be obtained by emailing me.  brandon at, well, brandonsanderson dot com.  Easy.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch