Author Topic: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread  (Read 45948 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Official Worldcon 2006 Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2006, 01:29:23 AM »
I can't go, as I'll be starting school on the 23rd and will be in San Jose, and thereby unable to get a ride to LA.

Anyone want to transfer my membership?  I'd love to get my money back.  I'm not sure if transfering is even possible, but I could look into it if anyone hasn't paid yet.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2006, 03:07:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can transfer memberships. There should be some information about that on the website.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2006, 08:18:36 AM »
You can.  Its explicitly stated you can on the website.
Anyone have any idea what local stores are within walking distance of the con?  I want to eat a reasonably (for a con) healthy diet.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »
Heeeeeeey.  I'm fine with riding there and back at any point, I just need someone to ride with.  I could even take someone's glove compartment, if it's not full of elephants.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »
Which reminds me--I really won't be able to go.

Awww, rats! Too bad that you and MsFish can't make it. :( Dang it.

So that leaves Jena, me, and um, what about you, Oldie? Hmm. I am not sure I can afford this trip after all. I also hadn't known I'd be working full time, either, so I have limited paid days off...

I might only be able to come on Fri or Sat if that's the case. But if the other gals bail too, then I'll need to find someone to buy my membership. If I can't split the room 3 ways, then I'll probably need to bow out myself. Shoot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:32:22 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2006, 07:21:40 PM »
Fish, I still haven't coughed up the money for a membership, so I'd be happy to pay you to transfer yours into my name.  We can talk at writing group.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2006, 03:39:04 AM »
You can.  Its explicitly stated you can on the website.
Anyone have any idea what local stores are within walking distance of the con?  I want to eat a reasonably (for a con) healthy diet.

If you're thinking grocery stores in the area . . . IIRC the closest are going to be at least a half mile away or so. The city of Anaheim likes to encourage tourists to use the local restaurants (tourism tax) and has zoned the area accordingly. But if you're looking for restaurants and have deep pockets, Downtown Disney is across the street-ish from the convention center, and there are plenty of other restaurants in the area.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
Fish, I still haven't coughed up the money for a membership, so I'd be happy to pay you to transfer yours into my name.  We can talk at writing group.

Sweet.  I've only paid the $50 up front, so it's only a little bit, but still.  Thanks Parker.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
Okay, I've had to make a regrettable decision: I can't make it to WorldCon after all so I have to sell my membership. Can't really take that much time from work now that I'm F-T, and I can't afford splitting a room only two ways. Any takers? Heck, I'll even give a discount or something. I just don't want to be stuck with an unusable ticket.

Fell, are you buying Stacer's membership or are you still needing to buy one?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2006, 11:45:56 AM »
I never even thought of selling my membership. I only bought the supporting, so I think I'm going to keep it. I think I'll cancel the room, then. I'm assuming OldieLocks will be able to get a place in one of EUOL's rooms, if MsFish isn't going?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 19, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »
For attending members, and I'm pretty sure for supporting members too: if you pay the $50 or so to vote in site selection for Worldcon 2008, paying to convert from that to an attending membership later on is the cheapest way to go for anyone who wants to go to Worldcon in 2008...for anyone who is planning that far in advance.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2006, 12:29:38 AM »
Shrain,

As of right now I only have a supporting membership. If you have a full membership you'd like to transfer, we may be able to work something out.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2006, 08:34:03 PM »
Sure, Oldie. That would be much appreciated.
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »
So... Oldie, did you still want to buy it then? Or does anyone else want my ticket?
--Spriggan

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2006, 01:57:58 AM »
I'm late to the thread and late to the party, but...

I'M IN.

I'm planning on heading to WorldCon.

I haven't made any arrangements yet, but I'm ready to split gas costs, room costs, food, whatever (and, of course, vote for Brandon for that award  ;))

Oh, and Brandon. Thanks for getting back to me with the e-mail so I knew to post here.

So...let me know what's happening and I'll keep checkin back.

FINAL WORD: Death to the United Protectorate ;D. Ask me later and I'll explain it to you.  
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."