Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136840 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #495 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
Wow, this has certainly strayed from a summary of a first time reader, hasn't it.  Please allow me to land a blow on the memory stealing as a price.  Mat remembers dying.  A lot.  He mentions it several times, actually.  If they are able to record memories of those who entered, even after they left, then that makes sense, but I highly doubt they actually lose the memories.  Matt could be Aemon, or an important general from Manetheren.  We may never know exactly.  The concept of the soul is extremely complex in this series, even to the point where it has a genetic component to it.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #496 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »
Joe there is no intention to hijack the thread.  We are just killing time till you have an update, and your updates stir questions.  But the real debates are being shifted to the yellow tape thread. If the discussion bothers you then I apologize for bringing it up.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 20, 2009, 08:29:53 PM »
The Finns don't necessarily value the memories. I think it's Moiraine that tells Mat that they "feed" off of  human sensations and emotions. Mat tells the Finns to fill the holes in his memory,among other things, and they respond "Done". That is where his memories are from.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:39:32 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #498 on: April 20, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »
No that was never in question.  The debate is over where they got the memories from and why they chose the selection they did.  Why they thought these would be the right ones' to put in Mat.  But this need to move to the Yellow tape thread so Joe can keep telling us his reactions to what he's read.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 20, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »
You like my cleverly named thread eh? its like hulu an evil plot to take over randland...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2009, 02:25:09 AM »
It's a good thread to talk safely about the book details unlike that MEAN thread called spoilers which ruined HoA for me.  :'(
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 22, 2009, 01:19:01 AM »
I find the Finns extraordinarily creepy. I don't really know why.       *shrug*
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #502 on: April 22, 2009, 02:06:29 AM »
Shags, I think it's because they're creepy.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2009, 02:09:58 AM »
Well…then…their…um, creepiness…uh…creeps me out…?  :P
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 22, 2009, 02:47:01 AM »
Hey guys. I'm 308 pages into Crown of Swords. Unfortunately this book is moving a bit slow and not a whole lot is happening. But I did promise to do more updates so here is one!

-Elayne, Nyneave, Aveindha, Birgitte, The Ebou Dar Aes Sedai, and the Kin used the bowl terengal to fix the weather. I liked this scene but I didn't understand where the bowl channeled saidin from. Is it already in the bowl or was one of them really a man?? (the whole Halima thing has me second guessing everyone LOL) Anyways, they are soon attacked by the Seanchan who must have felt such a huge amount of channeling from so far away. After getting everyone through a gate made by Elayne, she starts to unravel the weave thread by thread. This was something that Merillile yelled at Aviendha NEVER to do again because of how dangerous it is. Unless you let the weave dissapate, then it could fall into any weave it wants to and might explode. This is exactly what happens after a great battle scene when the Seanchan are coming through the gate and it collapses on itself and blows everything to bits within a couple hundred yards. Luckily the gals are alright but the group of Seanchan that were trying to kill them were wiped out. I thought the whole thing about carefully unwinding a weave to avoid a channeler reading the residue of the weave was interesting. Aviendha did it so they would not be followed because she thought she was being watched. She was, by Moridin. He's decided to stop them from using the Bowl of the Winds at any cost. Too late lol.

-Perrin, Faile, and his soldiers and Aes Sedai have met up with Queen Morgase, Lini, Tallanvor, and her soldiers. Though Morgase's identity remains a secret from them. I'm glad Morgase has met up with them because her story throughout the last 2 books has seemed too irrelevant. You only got snippets here and there and there didn't seem to be much of a relation to the BIG story. It doesn't even seem like she wants her throne back. She does not seem to be actively pursuing it at the moment, she even agreed to be Faile's servant!! I'm very curious to see where this storyline is going to go.

-Graendal is introduced to Cyndane by Moghedian. Unfortunately, it has already been spoiled for me that Cyndane is Lanfear reincarnated. Oh well, I'm stoked to see Lanfear back in action. Apparently she is under Moridin's control now and they instruct Graendal to return to Shayol Ghul and to be under Moridin's control too. When she finds this rediculous, Shadar Hairen appears and pretty much puts her in her place. I really like the scenes with the Forsaken and I wish there was more of them. The interaction with eachother is fascinating and they always seem to be on the edge of killing one another.

-Last I left off, Rand was trying to get Sammael's old soldiers to swear fealty to him, the new King of Illian. He is noticing that some of his Asha'man are acting weirder and weirder which brings up the cleansing of saidin in his thoughts. I remember him thinking about this earlier in the series and I can't imagine how much that would change things. I don't know how he'd do it without killing the Dark One....who put the taint there. Maybe it has something to do with the Eye of the World which is a pool of pure saidin. I hope this is developed more.

Well like I said, this one moves along slowly but I am not giving up. I am still truly enjoying this story and I hope you guys still enjoy these posts. I should have another one on Thursday.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2009, 02:53:11 AM »
Definitely don't give up, JoeC!!! There's lots of excitement to come!!!

8)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »
CoS has it's lulls, but press on through.  It sets the stage for a real pickup in action.  See no spoilers and real encouragement.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2009, 03:20:16 AM »
You guys mean Path of Daggers right? Cause Illian was conquered in CoS.

This was the book that people feel the action starts to slow down but I think it's still a good book and book 9 has something really cool to look forward to as well. 
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »
Nope. CoS.

I love the title 'The Path of Daggers,' and the cover art, too. [Random comment]
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2009, 03:24:57 AM »
Ummm What?

You guys mean Path of Daggers right? Cause Illian was conquered in CoS.