Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136911 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #330 on: March 11, 2009, 01:09:39 PM »
The female Forsaken (and one in particular) are most people's favorite Asmodean killers because Rand would have detected a male channeler and like LAnfear already demonstrated in earlier books, females can invert thier weaves so they cannot be detected.
So can males...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 11, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »
Encyclopeadia-wot.org has the best theory I have read thus far.  It has the most evidence to support the theory, which is what I meant when I said that people believe what they want to despite the evidence.  I am sure I am guilty of that in some aspects of life, but not in this.  The balefire theory may not be true, but it is highly probable.  Not only can weaves be inverted, but the ability to channel can be masked.  We may not be actually told that by the end of FoH, but how else can Lanfear run around the White Tower without some Aes Sedai going "Holy Moses that chick is uber-strong!!!"  Now, it can be argued that if Graendal or Sammael could invert weaves, why not just Travel instead of hide?  I think one (or both) were afraid of setting off one of Rahvin's wards, and were waiting for the chance to just walk out of the palace (weaves that are tied off do not disappear when a channeler dies).
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:15 PM »
What you say is true about channelling, but one thing I've always wondered about. How would they know that he would walk through a door that he had absolutely no intention of walking through? I think the overall reason is either A. Forsaken in the castle for another reason and gets lucky that Asmo walks in, or B. Someone who is doing something that they do NOT want Rand to find out about and kill Asmo thinking he is simply Rand's Bard.

Ludicrous example of B: Mat is really a darkfriend and is doing darkfriend things in the Room. Asmo walks in and catches him so Mat kills him to prevent him from telling about his DF status.

Obviously I'm not saying Mat did it, but I'm willing to rule out most of the Forsaken ideas, and Channelling may or may not be necessary. Overall I'm inclined to believe that the killer was a DF in hiding, simply because why keep it a big secret unless there is going to be a reveal latter and it will completely mess up the twist?

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
... why keep it a big secret unless there is going to be a reveal latter and it will completely mess up the twist?

But Robert Jordan didn't think he was keeping it a big secret - he thought he was making it obvious.
He ate my horse.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #334 on: March 11, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »

But Robert Jordan didn't think he was keeping it a big secret - he thought he was making it obvious.

Which is a little mind boggling. What other "secrets" were hidden in "plain sight", I wonder...
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 11, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »
I stand by my statement that the killer was a channeler.

Probably four or five sub-plots or something.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #336 on: March 12, 2009, 02:49:16 AM »
I agree it was a channeler, probably one of the Forsaken. It's not like every time Avi or Rand sense someone using the Power they freak out and have to know who it was. Also, it definitely could have been too little of the power to sense. The few times that people mentioned sensing the Power over a significant distance have all been ALOT of power being used.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 12, 2009, 11:28:10 AM »
I think maybe the thought is supposed to go something like this: Rhavin, Sammeal, Asmodean,  Greandal , and Lanfear had a conspiracy going together. Now Rhavin, Lanfear and Asmodead all appear to be dead, with only Sammeal and Greandal still alive. With Sammeal supposed to be in Illian has bait for Rand, that leaves Grendal free to be where ever she wants to be.

If say Greandal finding that Rhavin and Lanfear are now dead, she may (and Sammeal perhaps as well) want to cover their tracks and part in the consipracy against Rand. A case of her or Sam being in the right place and the right time, bad for Asmo obviously.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
I agree with that.  Asmo just stumbled into the wrong room, where those "servants" Rand bumped into went to hide.  Also, another possible bit of evidence balefire was used: When Demondred meets with the DO in Shayol Ghul, the DO tells Demondred that Asmodean and Rhavin are beyond its ability to return their souls.  Balefire is the only thing that can do this.  Some argue that the DO chose not to resurrect Asmodean because of Rand, but then why wouldn't it say that?

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I agree with that.  Asmo just stumbled into the wrong room, where those "servants" Rand bumped into went to hide.  Also, another possible bit of evidence balefire was used: When Demondred meets with the DO in Shayol Ghul, the DO tells Demondred that Asmodean and Rhavin are beyond its ability to return their souls.  Balefire is the only thing that can do this.  Some argue that the DO chose not to resurrect Asmodean because of Rand, but then why wouldn't it say that?

Remember in Prologue of LOC the DO specifically mentions Rahvin dying of balefire and Asmo died the "final death for his treachery" - Again I'm just playing devil's advocate. The toughest thing about all of this is you'd never convict anyone in a court of law, too much room for "reasonable doubt"

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »

Remember in Prologue of LOC the DO specifically mentions Rahvin dying of balefire and Asmo died the "final death for his treachery" - Again I'm just playing devil's advocate. The toughest thing about all of this is you'd never convict anyone in a court of law, too much room for "reasonable doubt"

Ah-ha! There is some evidence that it wasn't balefire. Sort of. The way it is said makes it sound like the only reason Asmodean was not brought back was because of his particular association with Rand and not that he was balefired.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Did you quote that exactly?  I need to reread it.  E-WOT does say that betrayers will die the final death, but that is after Demondred says that Rahvin is dead, Lanfear and Asmodeaon are missing, and Moghedian failed to meet with him.  The DO then says that even the Great Lord can not help someone who has been balefired.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »
THE CHOSEN DWINDLE, DEMANDRED. THE WEAK FALL AWAY. WHO BETRAYS ME SHALL DIE THE FINAL DEATH. ASMODEAN, TWISTED BY HIS WEAKNESS. RAHVIN DEAD IN HIS PRIDE. HE SERVED WELL, YET EVEN I CANNOT SAVE HIM FROM BALEFIRE. EVEN I CANNOT STEP OUTSIDE OF TIME.

That's the EXACT quote. I agree, it can be taken either way, but he says "Who Betrays me shall die the final death. Asmodean, Twisted by his Weakness."

I think the point the DO is trying to make there is that if he had realized that he just had to let himself be killed he would have been resurrected and still been able to serve. Remember the whole reason Asmo went over to the shadow was for immortality. Obviously this doesn't rule out balefire, but makes a pretty strong case that Asmo could have been resurrected had he continued to serve.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
I think the 'final death' refers to being balefired.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
Actually another way to look at it is that the wheel will eventually re-birth everyone, including those in league with the shadow. To me Final Death means no more re-birth or Resurrection it's game over for the soul. I also think Asmo's "No!" hanging in the air is reminiscent of when Bel'lal was BF'ed by Moraine.

It's also interesting that Greandal seems to be the only one 100% certain that Asmo is dead while others, Sammeal included, wonder if he is still hiding out somewhere.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.