Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136852 times)

Casco

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #300 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
I'm curious JoeC if you had to guess who done in Asmo who would you pick? I'd like to see your thoughts before you start on LoC. :)

You will see Lan again his story isn't done yet.  ;)
OMG... no it isn't  ;D He is involved in one of the most epic parts in the Knife of dreams book....with a "little" help from aquite funny woman (when she is angry) at the end. That part realy did make it feel....EPIC.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 06, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
Hey JoeC,

You've got a great ride in front of you.  I know how it's like---the only books I've waited to come out are Knife of Dreams and A Memory of Light itself.  It's true that the books aren't nearly as bad when you can just jump into the next one with no trouble.

On the other hand, I want my solid week of reading back.  If I was to do it again, I'd be a little less hardcore about finishing them.

Ah, the good ole' Asmodean debate.  You should just be glad that we haven't started up in earnest.  I would also be interested in your thoughts on the subject, actually.  Far to much fan speculation is based on ideas that are shaped by later books, and which aren't really plausible given RJ's public statements.  You have a unique opportunity to share a view unbiased by the upcoming reveals.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
the only books I've waited to come out are Knife of Dreams and A Memory of Light itself.
Really??  :o :o :o
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »
Just one thing to correct about your last post Joe.  The man that comes to the palace in Caemlyn to see Rand in the end is Davram Bashere, Marshall-General of Saldaea, not Mayene.  Saldaea is one of the Borderland nations that borders the Blight.  Just had to set that straight since Bashere is one of my favorite characters ;)
You are correct!! My mistake!

I'm curious JoeC if you had to guess who done in Asmo who would you pick? I'd like to see your thoughts before you start on LoC. :)

Hmmmm.....Yeah I've been thinking about it a lot. It really could be anyone. Rand even. Maybe Lews Therin took him over completely for like 10 minutes and decided to take some revenge on Asmoidean. Who knows?? It didn't explain the manner of death either. It just said death "took him." By Power? By blade? I guess I'll have to wait and find out. I would say one of the other Forsaken but that's a hard case to make. Rand would have sensed any of the male Forsaken channeling just as the wise ones or Aveindha would sense a female Forsaken channeling. Unless they were already there. Honestly, for some reason, Mat keeps popping in my head. I'm not 100% sure why either. It just popped in my head as I was reading it. I pictured him whirling his spear and finishing Asmo with a deadly slice before he even knew anything happened. Again, I'm not saying I believe it was him, just a funny feeling I have that's all. Afterall, Moiraine had figured out who he really was before she died. Who else did too? Who did she tell? Did she really figure it out, or was SHE the one who was told? Did the wise ones enter his dreams?? Is that how Moiraine found out? I don't know. I hope it wasn't the wise ones who killed him. That would be anti climactic for me.  LOL We'll see. Consider me part of the "Who killed Asmodean debate" you guys.

A family friend who is a published author once said to me, "Writers don't borrow; they steal." Make of that what you will.
I guess that's accurate in it's own way. It's hard to have a good vs. evil story that hasn't been thought up already. Some would say there's only a few degrees of good vs. evil. It's a very binding story plot that limits what you can write about and so many people have done it already. I personally don't mind. I've read some stories that are very similar and some that are very different. A lot of things I've seen in WOT could have been borrowed from R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books, which started coming out a few years before WOT did. Before you people explode, I know RJ spent most of that 80's writing these books and worldbuilding and NO I'm not accusing him of stealing. I'm just giving an example of similarities that are in many good vs. evil stories. It's all a matter of how you perceive it. How much does it bother you? Me personally, unless it's really obvious, like borderline plagiarism, I won't care. I just like a good story. Chris Paolini's Inheritence Cycle rips off a LOT of books. It is a very unoriginal story but it is enjoyable so I read it. I don't let it bother me. Some people, however, take this very personally. Maybe so much so they see what they think is plagiarism on every page of everything they read. Again, I think it's up to the individual reader to decide. The world needs stories, good and bad. Original and unoriginal. Choose for yourself and read what you enjoy. If two books are similar, but you enjoy both, what's the big deal?? Let the authors fight it out. That's not to say I don't appreciate an original story. Mistborn swept me off my feet.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
I agree with you, JoeC. And…humans see what they want to. I bet you could take almost any fiction story in the world (besides something that's like a history of Scientology or something like that) and find some other book/story that the author could have stolen from.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2009, 11:54:58 PM »
I would say one of the other Forsaken but that's a hard case to make. Rand would have sensed any of the male Forsaken channeling just as the wise ones or Aveindha would sense a female Forsaken channeling.
unless...well. Just keep reading :D
Chris Paolini's Inheritence Cycle rips off a LOT of books. It is a very unoriginal story but it is enjoyable so I read it. I don't let it bother me.
Books? Every time I think through the plot I tell myself that if I change a few names I could be reading Star Wars (original trilogy)

I think someone once said that there are no new stories. Or that every story has already been told. In a way its true. But there is so much more to it.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 08, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
Even just the style of writing can completely change a book.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 08, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »
JoeC: Well welcome to the Great Who Killed Asmo debate, I think it's been going on now for about 15 years or so? Going with what RJ said about it supposedly being obvious I think you have to do a process of elimination. Myself I do believe it was one of the Forsaken that did him in. One that we did meet during Book 5, though I do like the idea of Lews waking up in Rand and deciding to get rid of Asmo. Though I really do think Rand would remember that.

I honestly found Chris Paloini's series to be very paint by the numbers, especially when the Uncle was giving a man to man talk on life. "Your going to die aren't you? *next chapter* Yep he died." I'm sorry but that got old and stale quickly, I found Brandon to be really refreshing.

I am curious as I have never seen WoT compared to RA's work, what parts did you feel mirrored between the two authors?
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:04 PM »
Who's RA?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Hamster

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2009, 11:15:55 PM »
Hey Shaggy, I think he meant R.A. Salvatore

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2009, 04:13:14 AM »
Yes R.A Salvatore, author of Drizzt and Cadderly books from TSR's Forgotten realms. :)
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2009, 06:14:06 PM »
the only books I've waited to come out are Knife of Dreams and A Memory of Light itself.
Really??  :o :o :o

Yep.  I'd heard about WoT for about half my life, but never anything that caught my attention.  Then I had a roommate who owned the entire then-extant series, and I started in for real.  So I never really noticed that the action had slowed down because I was always moving.  Until I hit the end, of course :(.
Nature hates being reified.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2009, 09:36:47 PM »
Oh…I wait a lot lol.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
Yes I think the whole waiting two years between each book is really want drives some away. Though CoT is still really slow for some even then. Still it IS RJ setting up a massive chessboard story I think.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
What's CoT?? ???
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.