Author Topic: TWG T-Shirts  (Read 11631 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: TWG T-Shirts
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »
The difference between 10$ and $12 is probably negligible to someone who's actually willing to buy a TWG T-shirt off the internet.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2004, 09:03:38 PM »
Sorry SE, what I meant was if we STARTED at 11.50 and didn't sell enough then DROPPED the price to $10 in a non/little profit situation.  At $11.50 we would definately pull in profit, and it seems low enough to get interested buyers.

As for advertising for the site, I don't really see how that benefits for us as there will be people we need to pay back plus some and the site itself gives no one here a profit, and anyone who likes the site enough to buy a shirt is probably telling their friends about it anyway...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2004, 09:05:31 PM »
I think the TWG shirts would sell better if we had something besides the forums, like a flash movies section.  The movies would be based off of forum toipcs.  This is something me and Entropy talked about maybe 8 months or so ago, but I didn't want to do it.  Don't realy want to now either, but if there was that connection to the shorts/quotes it would help sell them.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2004, 09:10:40 PM »
well, ABM adn a sprite comic could liven things up

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2004, 09:11:19 PM »
Well, if we are working on upping sales we should sell shirts first, I think, then anyone willing to go the extra mile and making games (which I think is a great idea), flashes (another great idea, although making them off topics could be confusing to some), or research to an extreme gets webspace for what they are working on and any disposable profit which we have no current use for.  This, in return, yes would up sales and bring in more people, upping sales upping dispensable profit upping the amount of money people who work get for their time, in a cycle.  

If we played our cards right we could get an extremely profitable speal going on here with no advertisments on the page, which is a huge plus for popularity points
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2004, 09:15:25 PM »
Well, I'm going to see if I can get into a drawing mood again this summer.  The thing is, ABM was just too big of a production.  It took me a LONG time to draw those pictures, scan them, then make them look good in PhotoShop.  I want to do something that's a little less artistically challenging.  Wish I knew how to use one of those nifty 'draw on the pad and it appears on the screen' dealies.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2004, 09:17:37 PM »
just go drop 100 bucks and get a wacom. You just have to get used to not seeing your hand.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2004, 09:19:48 PM »
A WACOM?  They're pretty neat once you get use to them.  You can pick one up for about $70-80.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2004, 09:23:16 PM »
That's the type of stuff which you could get with the profits and EUOL would then make webcomics, helping the site's repretation and giving us another merchandise idea.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2004, 09:28:10 PM »
That's the type of stuff which you could get with the profits and EUOL would then make webcomics, helping the site's repretation and giving us another merchandise idea.

psh, next to Tage, EUOL's the richest person on the site (fell and both make more but have that whole family thing that takes their money), he can afford one himself.

Also there are lots of wacom's on ebay between $30-$50

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?ht=51&query=wacom&sonewuser=1&krd=1&?kw=wacom
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 09:30:33 PM by Spriggan »

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2004, 09:35:16 PM »
Well, that being the case or not there is no reason that EUOL should be buying Wacoms and making a comic without getting something in return, especially if it helps us make a profit.  We could, in the least, give him the money for the Wacom if this merchandise thing works, which if we do it right it should.  

Personally, I would be happy to make flashes for the sight, but I would need someone else to add the noises for me, which wouldn't take much time at all.  This is because my version of flash wants only MP3s and I have no way to get ahold of those, but I can save it as MX so there should be no problems until I can get MP3s.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2004, 09:48:22 PM »
I'm gona throw us back into reverse. Fell is the only one making decisions about this site becoming profitable, I think. until he tells me that this is soemthing we're going to do to make profit, I think i'm just leaving it as a non-profit thing. people will buy shirts because they like them. No one gets money, etc.

And EUOL would draw a comic for the same reason that he did before, and the same reason so many of us write articles/reviews. Because we want to. And we'd like to see the site grow.

That's my take. He expressed wanting to learn to use a wacom-like tablet. I merely suggested just buying one. They're not of unrealistic cost and they're hecka cool.

if we were going for profit, incidentally, I'd just charge $15, which is an average price for shirts, and gets us a lot of profit. End of story. if we do $10, more people would buy them, thus we aer more likely to be able to get away with a price like $10, and the more of us will get to see our shirts, and the more people who see the URL and check it out.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2004, 10:00:22 PM »
don't think I could have worded it better myself.

I'd just like to add, as long as the site is non-profitt I can make flash things (even though it's rare that i finish).  Once TWG starts takeing in cash I might have to remove all things from it since I only have a student licence for Flash.  I'll have to recheck my licence agreement, but I'm pretty sure even though if I don't make money from the site I still can't make things if the site itself makes money.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2004, 12:07:30 AM »
I hate to sound negative, but realistically, I think we'd probably sell around 10-30 T-shirts. Not 10-30 per day, total. Our readership is pretty limited, and I'm betting the people willing to spend ANYTHING for something like this have already chimed in.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2004, 01:39:00 AM »
Man, I don't even get quoted on my own website? Well, thanks to EUOL anyway for suggesting it multiple times, even though nobody took him up on it.

As far as T-shirts go, I say hurrah. As far as profits go, I say...hurrah if we can do it, but nobody get your hopes up. Tage is probably very correct when he says that the primary audience for these T-shirts are the people posting to this thread; I just don't foresee anyone else buying them.

Someday I would like this site to make money, if only because I want to quit my real job. I need to really study the idea first, however, and make sure we know what we're doing. That said, if people are willing to pay 15 or even 12 bucks for a T-shirt, we could certainly do something cool with the money--we could finance a few months of a MMOG account for a reviewer, or pay for an event/con kind of thing, or whatever.

I need a new poll anyway, so howzabout I ask people what price they would pay for a ten dollar shirt with forum quotes?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 01:39:27 AM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net