Author Topic: BEHOLD!  (Read 3233 times)

Rican

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
Re: BEHOLD!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2004, 02:43:57 PM »
I have to agree it looks great.  By the way when does it come out?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2004, 02:55:23 PM »
It comes out in May.  I'm planning to try and make it your way for a book signing or something, guys.  Maybe I'll bring Sprig along, so we can hang like the good ol' days.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2004, 05:46:07 PM »
"The man's skin bore the tell-tail black splotches of the Shaod, but the unaffected patches weren't pale, but a deep brown instead."

I hope that's not in the published version. ;)
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 06:51:26 PM »
Ha!  Nice Catch, MoD.  No, this isn't the published version.  It's a galley.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2004, 09:33:53 AM »
alts are required so that people using lynx and (more importantly) blind people can access the site.

Eh, Linex users are getting what they deserve then and Blind peple are not going to be going to the site.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 02:23:12 PM »
Ah galley. The word brings back memories.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2004, 01:38:23 AM »
For some reason TOKYOPOP uses the term "galley" to apply to something else entirely...a 4 to 16 page section of a book that is laid out ahead of time and then repeated lots of times and bound into a 200-page book.

What I would call a galley is either two things here...a blueline (which is generally not bound, but sometimes is, but is never cut to final page size) or a reader copy (which is basically an uncorrected proof book hardly ever done for any of the titles, but cut to final size).

I really don't know why they call a galley what they call a galley.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2004, 03:35:10 AM »
a 4 to 16 page section of a book that is laid out ahead of time and then repeated lots of times and bound into a 200-page book.

I believe that is supposed to be called a "signature", not a "galley". The actual laying out of the signature is called impositioning.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:37:09 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2004, 04:53:21 AM »
err...I think you were confused about what I'm talking about. Our books usually have 5 signatures. I know this because a lot of the bluelines we get back are creo proofs bound in 5 little stapled booklets. (It was fun when we used a new press that sent us real bluelines (printed using blue ink), in 3 double-sided proofs with the first and last pages printed on the same sheet, one above the other but upside-down; the middle signature was connected to another copy of itself.)

What TOKYOPOP calls a galley LOOKS (from the outside) like a whole, finished book. But it's not. It has the cover pretty much done, but inside it has 200 pages of 4 pages over and over and over... 1234123412341234123412341234 etc etc etc.

By the way, I hate creo proofs. They do not give an at ALL accurate indication of image quality. They're great and cheap for text, but for the images they just don't cut it. I preferred the real bluelines. But electronic proofs are fine too--at least, they look like they're fine; I'm not sure they're as good as true bluelines at predicting the analog result.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 04:55:06 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2004, 05:06:16 AM »
The problem with real bluelines is, of course, the color results. You can proof for everything but color, and that's often what the design people are worried about most of all. I was once flown all the way to PA (from Utah, for Phone Directories Co.) for a blueline press check. Now that we have computer to plate at so many places, I don't think we usually see those kinds of trips at publishing houses.

Now at Houghton, what we got instead of bluelines was what we called F&Gs, which means folded and gathered. It was basically unbound galley proofs, hot off the press. The press made a very small run at first and folded and gathered, and we made a check before they were bound and set up for the full run.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004, 01:07:19 AM »
There was one time that a book had a provisional cover printed because it wasn't yet approved by the licensor, and the press was told to hold off on the binding. The licensor then rejected the cover at the last minute, and when the press was told this, they said "oh....we already bound the books..."

so 10,000 copies of a certain manga are sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

anyway, I've seen "bluelines" in 4 different forms from different presses, but we just call them all bluelines even though only one month did any of them they actually have blue ink. I don't believe any of them were the F&G process you describe.

Cover proofs (color) are a different matter. I don't really look at those, just the black ink innards, so I don't really know how they are handled. Oh...there are a few color pages on certain books too, but yeah, I haven't paid attention to them.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2004, 11:03:12 PM »
There was one time that a book had a provisional cover printed because it wasn't yet approved by the licensor, and the press was told to hold off on the binding. The licensor then rejected the cover at the last minute, and when the press was told this, they said "oh....we already bound the books..."

Presses don't like to be told what to do very much, particularly if it involves them having to wait. They don't mind making other people wait, they just won't wait themselves.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2004, 05:25:43 AM »
Well, since they were the ones who screwed up, they had to swallow the cost of the entire run. Dunno if they learned anything from that...

We had another run of something recently where the black ink on the cover of every copy of this book fell off somehow. Free press run!

[EDIT: as this thread is linked from bs.com, let me say: TOKYOPOP's "galleys" are definitely not anywhere close to the usual definition of galley.]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 10:24:13 PM by OoklaTheMok »