Author Topic: The In-Laws  (Read 2398 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
The In-Laws
« on: December 02, 2004, 12:11:33 PM »
I try not to badmouth my in-laws too much, because they're really good people. I share some musical interests with most of my brothers-in-law, and it's easy to have a really good discussion with my father-in-law. My mother-in-law is probably the most self-sacrificing person on the planet. On top of taking care of her 15 yo non-communicatative Austistic son nearly 24/7, she is never found doing anything for herself, but always trying to help others (this alone actually drives me nuts, but that's not hte point here).

She can be a little psycho crazy lady sometimes.

Their family makes a big family gathering out of every birthday. Which y'know, is typical. Why not? Though it does mean that, with me, my brother-in-law's wife, and our respective children, there is more than 1 birthday gathering a month (with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and various birthdays thrown in, we're looking at 6 gatherings over a 30 day period). So it gets a little tiring sometimes.

Now, I like presents. And they tend to give lots of presents. Thing is, they never look at my wish list. IF they were gonna get me things like the Smallville season collections (an equivelant gift to what my sister-in-law just got) I'd be all over the masses of gifts. Get me straight here, though, I neither expect nor think I deserve hundreds of dollars, or even tens of dollars, to be spent on me by my in-laws. I just usually end up getting presents like Myst: the board game (used, naturally, so no returns possible) and books I don't want to read, usually with the condition that they want to give it to someone else if I don't want it. I'd rather not have the presents in the first place, frankly. Just let me go buy a DVD or something and I'll be happy.

The other thing: these gatherings usually happen on Sunday, because no one is working and usually we can get everyone together. However, the sunday after my birthday (the closest one) is the Messiah Sing Along at church, and my father-in-law is conducting: he has to be there early, which means no time for the gathering. Most days during the surrounding week are similar: people out of town or working late or committed to other activities.

So, while I like being the focus of attention, i'm going insane because the main topic of conversation for days, including phone calls to me here at work, has been arranging a time. Really, I don't mind. Ideally, you can just watch my kids for the evening (or better yet, all night) and my wife and I will run off somewhere. Failing that, let's have cake. WHoever can make it makes it. We can have it multiple times if you like, so everyone can participate. But I'm fine with just a couple of 'em. I'm going to have dinner with my parents twice that weekend, and my wife will be with me at both, my kids at one of them. That's all I need.

/B****-session

Yeah, I realize that's pretty stupid. But come on, it's my birthday. Given my druthers? A night away with my wife. First runner up? An all-day game session with my friends. Third choice? A quiet night where I can watch movies. After that, it's really just any other night in my life.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: The In-Laws
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 01:26:01 PM »
wooo hooo im number 2!!!!

Which brings up the real question, do you have a free moment this weekend?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:44:24 PM »
not on friday. Not sure about Saturday. I will find out.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:22:43 PM »
Saturday would be a good day to meet at hobby town and learn Warmachine...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 07:56:00 AM »
on that note: I've been given another one of my birthday presents (the first was spidey 2). My wife has granted me the 11th as a completely free day.

incidentally, this is partially because tomorrow is pretty much full. Tonight is actually a BETTER night than tomorrow is.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 11:26:37 AM »
In laws.

My inlaws are universally freaked out by electronics.  Every time I bring up computer games, either one I'm playing or one I want to play in her presence my mother-in-law tells the story of her one-time neighbor who spent all his time playing video games and ended up losing his wife and family because of it.  Needless to say I don't bring such things up on purpose anymore.

Sigh.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 11:36:21 AM »
yeah, some things you just can't  bring up.

I think I can't relate well to my in-laws because we share so few interests. Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are about the extent of it.

I can't talk about comics or SFF because they have no real experience with them outside of those few movies. The exception is my youngest sister-in-law, who also writes, but she's off at college.

As I've said before, they don't understand that I actually prefer reading to socializing a lot of the time. They think if I'm reading and there are people about, that I must be bored and need special attention. I can't just read a book without shutting myself in the bathroom or something.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 11:42:51 AM »
That happens to me, too, SE (not by in-laws, of course). It drives me crazy. They see you reading, so they have to ask you what you're reading. That usually results in me showing them the title wordlessly. Then they're like, "What's it about?" and insist on getting you in conversation. The thing is, I'm really good at conversation when I feel like it, but if I'm in the middle of a really good book, you need to give me some space, people! And usually, lately, that book is homework. But it couldn't be hard work--it's a children's book!  :P
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 11:45:30 AM »
because, y'know, you're not going to be writing a paper on it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 11:54:58 AM »
I've noticed that myself. Happens on buses as well. If I am reading a book then it is not unbelievable that I am wanting to continue reading it, surely. If I wanted to speak, i'd put it away.

Foolish mortals.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 11:57:57 AM »
on a bus that's completely inexcusable. In someone's home, I can see it as trying to be a good host. but on the bus? You have no right to be trying to interrupt that person.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 04:21:29 PM »
It used to happen to me a lot. Strangers generally don't do it anymore, mostly (I have been told) because I look really mean to most people. Which is a reputation that I am quite satisfied with having.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus