Author Topic: Writers speaking out on writing  (Read 1591 times)

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Writers speaking out on writing
« on: May 02, 2006, 11:06:36 PM »
Forgive me if there was an earlier thread like this, but I thought it'd be neat to collect a bunch of quotes from various famous writers about the act of writing.  Inspirational stuff when you're feeling blue about your own writing. :)

One that I particularly like.

"I began to realize how simple life could be if one had a regular routine to follow with fixed hours and a fixed salary and very little original thinking to do.  The life of a writer is absolute hell compared to the life of a businessman.  The writer has to force himself to work.  He has to make his own hours and if he doesn't go to his desk at all there is nobody to scold him.  If he is a writer of fiction he lives in a world of fear.  Each new day demands new ideas and he can never be sure whether he is going to come up with them or not.  Two hours of writing leaves this particular writer absolutely drained.  For those two hours he has been miles away, he has been somewhere else, in a different place with totally different people, and the effort of swimming back into normal surroundings is very great.  It is almost a shock.  The writer walks out of his workroom in a daze.  He wants a drink.  He needs it.  It happens to be a fact that nearly every writer of fiction in the world drinks more whisky than is good for him.  He does it to give himself faith, hope and courage.  A person is a fool to become a writer.  His only compensation is absolute freedom.  He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it."
-Roald Dahl

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Writers speaking out on writing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:45:32 AM »
"In composing, as a general rule, run your pen through every other word you have written; you have no idea what vigor it will give your style."
- Sydney Smith
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

precious-jules

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Writers speaking out on writing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:54:48 AM »
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright

And on that note . . . I just finished editing my latest manuscript! WOOHOO! The joy of boxing it up and sending it to my publisher will quickly be dashed by the agony of waiting for the committee to determine to publish the thing. ;D
"...for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
------- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice