Author Topic: The Geek Girl's Survival Guide #9  (Read 2750 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
The Geek Girl's Survival Guide #9
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:11:02 PM »
Article reference, Sorry I can't add blurbs to the main page, http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1264&dep=15

Talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic, Fantasy is neither truth nor fiction.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:12:41 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: The Geek Girl's Survival Guide #9
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »
You had me at Tetris, fish. ;D

A very knowing column. I love the Tetris comparison. Anyhow, I've had the same experience and it was disconcerting until I realized, like you, that the thing to focus on more is making meaningful contacts.

Edit: Hey, what about that Geek Girl logo you've been working on? Maybe it won't show up until a link is put on the main page? Hmm, guess not.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 02:25:13 AM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 02:00:16 AM »
Yes, connections is what it's all about at cons, really. I go to make industry contacts for both finding writers for future projects, and for making collegial contacts that I may want to tap for finding a job if I ever need to look elsewhere (this is a general statement and by no means implies that I'm ever actively looking--it's just maintaining the network, you know).

And then, once you've gotten enough experience to get published and/or get a job (in the case of an editor), the next thing is to go to cons to promote, promote, promote. And to continue to network.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

jeffday

• Level 2
  • Yar, must be exploding tuesday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:08:51 AM »
I was there, and the big problem with this con, at least in my opinion, is that Kevin J. Anderson, what I consider a literary prostitute, was the keynote speaker. Mediocrity is his middle name and his flashes of what may seem to be excellence are few and far between. I enjoyed the event and the discussions, it's just that they got mediocre writers.

(yeah, I have a tendency to write like I speak: completely devoid of intelligence)
"Are you in danger of becoming a good man, Proximo?"
--Gladiator

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 04:38:53 AM »
Well, it *is* an academic symposium and not a real con.  So that might have something to do with it.  

However, I do have to say that Kevin's guest lecture on alien cultures--buying alcohol in Utah--was completely awesome.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

jeffday

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 02:16:38 PM »
My only problem with that particular address was how much he talked about hangovers. It wasn't a pleasant topic of conversation for me at the time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 02:19:32 PM by jeffday »
--Gladiator

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:31:23 PM »
I'm thinking I should refrain from asking further questions about that.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Hepcatkip

• Level 2
  • Blah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:41:51 PM »
I'm still Upset that I got sick and missed the main day of Ltue.  

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 04:13:21 AM »
I missed KJA talking about hangovers?  Dangit all.

jeffday

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:12:37 AM »
Talking about how a poor, naive mormon girl at BYU thought that he'd have a hangover after 1 beer. It was awesome.
--Gladiator

precious-jules

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 11:17:21 AM »
Thank you for the "A Geek Girl's Guide to Lectures on Writing"

I loved it and  completely agree.  At that same conference, I started a short story (which is weird since i haven't written a short since college) The panels were more of the same and I wasn't learning anything . . .  so I wrote.  I still plan on going to these writer's workshops and conferences, because I get to meet like-minded people and that's always valuable. I got to meet Stacer at the conference in question :)

But I just wanted to say thanks for the insight! I enjoyed reading your guide.
"...for what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?"
------- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice