Author Topic: The Koloss  (Read 5368 times)

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The Koloss
« on: May 03, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
We did mention the koloss a number of times in various thread but I thought it would be useful to gather into one topic all that we know or discover about them. For instance, I don't think we did discuss about which metal their nails were. Re-reading, I stumbled unto this :

He set his candle on the table, the fragile light illuminating a few scattered pages, a pile of strange metal nails taken from koloss bodies, and one manuscript.
MB2 p. 552

Now, I need to understand something. I might be wrong. The way I understand it, it's the metal that is strange and not the nails themselves. Would it mean that Sazed did not know the metal ? Are we looking at a different one yet ? But I might be wrong. Could someone clarify this point for me ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:52:16 PM by Vintage »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: The Koloss
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:07:33 AM »
I think that strange refers to the nails, not the metal. It could be any metal for all we know. Hurray for speculation!
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »
We did mention the koloss a number of times in various thread but I thought it would be useful to gather into one topic all that we know or discover about them. For instance, I don't think we did discuss about which metal their nails were. Re-reading, I stumbled unto this :

He set his candle on the table, the fragile light illuminating a few scattered pages, a pile of strange metal nails taken from koloss bodies, and one manuscript.
MB2 p. 552

Now, I need to understand something. I might be wrong. The way I understand it, it's the metal that is strange and not the nails themselves. Would it mean that Sazed did not know the metal ? Are we looking at a different one yet ? But I might be wrong. Could someone clarify this point for me ?

Sweet, you found the quote! We vaguely remember that it existed, but we never actually found it. Is this the only koloss-nail quote we see, by the way?

If the nail was shaped strangely, perhaps the shape of metal matters for Hemalurgy. If it is a strange metal, then that could also point to a strange effect of Hemalurgy. Either way, this is Hemalurgy.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
I don't know if shape really does matter all that much, because if you look at the Inqi image on EUOL's DeviantART, it just looks like he has simple railroad spikes through the eyes. It's more than likely that the 'strange' was in reference to the fact that the nails were in them, or their unknown purpose (strange being a synonym for 'mysterious').

I agree that they are hemalurgy of some sort, but I also believe that they are probably like an antenna of sort for the whole emotional-allomancy-R/C-car-effect, or that they just allow it to happen in the first place. Maybe the hemalurgical benefit they are granted is pewter's strength?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:57:44 AM »
Sweet, you found the quote! We vaguely remember that it existed, but we never actually found it. Is this the only koloss-nail quote we see, by the way?

If the nail was shaped strangely, perhaps the shape of metal matters for Hemalurgy. If it is a strange metal, then that could also point to a strange effect of Hemalurgy. Either way, this is Hemalurgy.

Well, I keep on reading. Never know what you might find...

Mind you, I remember that Sazed had seen the spikes used by Inquisitors, and he had also noticed the different metals used then. I find it strange that he doesn't mention any resemblance. But I keep on searching.

And are nails really similar to spikes ? I mean, it is two different words, it must represent a difference of some sort. But I agree on this : metal is metal and we're talking hemalurgy. Hemalurgy needs blood. Do you recall Koloss bleeding ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:23:36 PM by Vintage »

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
The Koloss definitely bleed.  In fact, the book notes that the blood is a more vivid red than that of humans.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:58:13 PM by darxbane »
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:52:03 PM »
And are nails really similar to spikes ? I mean, it is two different words, it must represent a difference of some sort.

The English words "nail" and "spike" refer to things generally similar in shape, but nails are usually much smaller than spikes.

EDIT: This post was intended as an explanation for Vintage, from a native-English speaker.  I didn't mean to imply any particular significance to the difference.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:26:15 PM by SarahG »
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
EUOL must smile every time he reads these posts.  To think that we have gotten to the point where we try to find significance in the difference between a nail and a spike (which is a big nail), or find the many subtle variances which one can use the word "strange".  I think the only reason why strange was added to that sentence was to help it pop out at you a little bit.  That's certainly why I remember it.  My question has always been who puts the nail into the young Koloss?  They die a lot, but they seem to make new ones just as often.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »
That begs a mental image that I don't want right now.... *shiver* ... Anyway, I bet the parents would, because I assume that TLR can program in a set of instructions, like hypnotic commands that linger after, to do something like that... And I bet Brandon does get a few good laughs every time he comes on here, kind of wish he'd talk to us though.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 05:48:49 PM »
He is very busy, though. Can you imagine all the things he must do ? Writing Excuses, A Memory of Light, his annotations of Mistborn 2 plus his signatures assignment, plus his own personal life... And hum... I prefer believing he doen't have much time to read.

Well, when I ask questions about nails and "strange", it's because although I can write, read and speak english pretty well, I am afraid my mind can overlook important details due to my understanding limitations. I just want to make sure I understand properly... and well, I'm kind of lazy and don't want to use a dictionary all the time. Moreover, I think we need the time to think on those things and having a simple analysis could or might enlightened someone sometimes...

Nevertheless... Koloss are so intelligent beast... do you think the size of the nails could influence its brain and not his mass ?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
I am sure EUOL lurks on this forum from time to time, although he does appear to be quite busy.  Just having a newborn in the house is enough excuse for me.  He has also posted in the past that he does not want to influence our opinions or risk spoiling the last book, so he is staying out of it until MB3.   As for your question, Vintage; I have no idea.  It is possible that the nails provide some benefit, but it is more likely they are there strictly for control, and may have the side effect of enhancing their emotions, especially anger.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »
It is possible that the nails provide some benefit, but it is more likely they are there strictly for control, and may have the side effect of enhancing their emotions, especially anger.

Or perhaps preventing them from having any other emotions than anger and boredom.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
...and a way to switch between the two instantly.  I love how they feel the need to explain why they do what they do. 

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »
I love how they feel the need to explain why they do what they do. 

Me too.  As you might guess from my signature,  "He ate my horse." is one of my favorite lines in the book.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »
Does anyone know where the nail is taken from within the body, that could be important.  And what of the KAndra, they can be soothed into submission as well, however they have no nail that we know of and having one wouldn't make sense give their malleable bodies.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier