Author Topic: Mysterious Reen ?  (Read 9030 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Reen ?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
The biggest and most obvious motive is to prevent her from having faith in others.  If you feel you can only count on yourself, and you are given almost god-like power, would you give it away?  If you can't trust, would you believe anyone who told you to give that power away?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »
The biggest and most obvious motive is to prevent her from having faith in others.  If you feel you can only count on yourself, and you are given almost god-like power, would you give it away?  If you can't trust, would you believe anyone who told you to give that power away?

So you believe it is Preservation?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
It's very possible.  We would have to learn when Reen's voice is her subconscious and when it is something more.

tolbert the yeti

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 01:08:31 AM »
well think of this. ruin has the ability to tamper with the keepers metal minds. It altered the keeper religion finding someone who fit their prophecies perfectly. It could be that due to   her earing she heard ruin/reens voice telling her to distrust everyone to keep her safe till ruin could be released by her. mabey thats why in the second book she doesn't here a voice but rather the thumpings? idk just a thought.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
I think Reen's voice is Vin's sub-concious, mainly because of the change, but it is a bit coincidental, I admit, that Vin is "hearing" voices.  My main argument against it being Ruin, is that Ruin's influence was limited during the lord ruler's reign, true, Vin's mother heard voices, as did Zane, probably, but I don't think it was Ruin in Vin's head

Side note: what if it was preservation who spoke to Vin's mother, we know no reason for this, but their could be a hidden motive, and wouldn't that be a carzy twist?  Perhaps Preservation ahd it's own reasons for giving tVin the ability to pierce copper clouds, isn't her extreme skill with bronze what led her to the mist spirit.  It still seems rathe counter productive though, I mean, the earring also allowed her to find the well and free Ruin.

Thirdly, I'm going to back track a bit, I really really like the idea of Reen being the mist spirit, it makes so much sense!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »
The only problem I have with that, Coma, is that at the end of WoA, the mist spirit never once speaks to vin mentally or verbally. Instead, it uses a bunch of gestures. It shows her the bead of metal to feed Elend, and has to basically mime feeding it to him. Why would it do that if it could just talk to her?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
I'm not saying the mist spirit is communicating with Reen voice to Vin, I'm saying that it IS Reen (And I'm just bbringing this up, this theory was thought up earlier on this thread).  the voice and the spirit are completely separate entities.  Vin hears Reen's voice because of her subconcious, but Reen could really be the Mist Spirit, sent by Preservation to protect and giuide Vin.  I'm not saying the spirit is causing the voices, just that the Spirit is Reen in "person."
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 09:22:46 PM »
Hmm... Interesting Idea. But then, why would Alendi have seen it? Was it a different mist spirit for him? That doesn't seem to fit with Brandon saying that for the mythology he wanted, he had to change it to only one mist spirit.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »
For some reason as I read the book I constantly thought of the mist spirit as Alendi. That really doesn't make sense seeing how, as stated above, Alendi also saw the mist spirit. Although, maybe for each proposed Hero there is a new mist spirit attached to them maybe the spirit of the last "Hero".  Just throwing that out there.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
Or perhaps the spirit of someone close to the hero sent to watch over him/her.  Didn't Alendi go on the run because his family was killed or something?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
So you think the Mist Spirit was different for Alendi than it is for Vin?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »
I think that's what he's trying to say. Coma, I'm fairly sure that we never hear anything about Alendi's family, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I personally believe that the mist spirit is one and the same for both of them, but it would be plausible for it to be different as well. I don't really think it matters all that much.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 02:30:49 PM »
So you think the Mist Spirit was different for Alendi than it is for Vin?

That is what I am saying. I don't think that it is entirely impossible for that to be the case. If you look the books as a whole, as with many other fantasy novels, it is very cyclical. You have the beginning where the sun was yellow and now it is red and the world was a very different place. Now you have the protagonist trying to bring things back full cirlce to the way things were before. So, having the previous supposed HOA be the mist spirit for the new HOA would fit. Kind of a cycle within a cycle. Well, that' s my theory anyways.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
That would make sense.  Do the actions of the mist spirit give us any clues?  When it first confronts Vin, it strikes her down, we know it influences Sazed's emotions.  Does it ever show emotion?  What do we really  know about the mist spirit?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
The Mist Spirit does more than just strike her down.  I just reread that part, and two things happen to her.  She receives a touch on her arm that makes it feel frozen, then, she feels intense pain starting from her ear and going straight into her head.  It appeared to me that the Mist Spirit was attempting to remove her earring.