Author Topic: Hulk **spoilers** (Again)  (Read 1217 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Hulk **spoilers** (Again)
« on: March 30, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »
I don't want to dig up the old thread, but I finally saw this movie and I liked it a lot. Hulk was one of my favorite characters precisely because he's not a superhero--he spends most of his time running from the government and trying not to kill people.

The reason that some people didn't like it, I think, is that the Hulk has been so many different things at so many different times: a monster, a superhero, a drifter, and even a Vegas mob boss at one point. He's a tricky character, and I think even the writers have trouble pinning him down to one style or theme. Ang Lee picked the version I liked (well, the precursor to it) so the movie worked for me. I'd love to see sequels ("Hulk Smash" would be a cool name for a sequel) but I doubt it will ever happen.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Hulk **spoilers** (Again)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:41:19 PM »
You didn't find the ending to be a little ". . . huh?"
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 03:05:58 PM »
yeah, well, you saw how much I liked it if you read my review. It seems we liked it for many of the same reasons. I often choose to watch Hulk over Spidey when I have the choice. Weird me huh? I think Spidey's a better film over all, but there's a rawness and an artfulness to Hulk that I enjoyed. Between Ang Lee and Sam Raimi, we'll see a lot of legitimacy brought to the genre, I think. I'm glad I have a fellow fan.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 03:16:45 PM »
I actually liked the ending a lot, and unless I missed something there was nothing mystifying about it at all. The Hulk I liked spent most of his time drifting from place to place, trying to do good and lay low; seeing Banner hiding out in the jungle giving medicine to the poor fit into that idea perfectly.

The only part I'm not sure I got was the movie preoccupation with lichen. Even the final shot did it, where it pulls up so far above the jungle that it looks like lichen. Is it just a comment on how Banner is forced to survive in harsh and unforgiving situations? Or is it just artsy.

I agree that Spider-man 2 is a better movie overall, but the visual style of Hulk is something I could watch all day. It was a brilliant blend of comicbook and film storytelling styles.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 03:30:22 PM »
well, the VERY ending was not huh. It's the whole absorbing man bit that was frustrating. Maybe if there had been an earlier fight scene. I dunno.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 07:49:12 PM »
I liked the hulk. It's been a while, but I simply enjoyed it. I found banner to be a very good character - i simply felt so sorry for the guy. He's just trying to get along, and then that happens to him. The villian was abit meh, I will admit, but the movie worked despite him, since for me it was really about banner.

Spiderman is like that too - peter just can't seem to have a good day. He gets beat up... then has to get around in his day life, feeling beat up.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch