Author Topic: opinion: Oscar Snubs  (Read 3105 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
opinion: Oscar Snubs
« on: February 02, 2005, 10:09:40 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=971

I can't say I agree with all the choices made above, but I can't say that I'm ever surprised that great masses of people disagree with the nominations.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: opinion: Oscar Snubs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 11:11:16 AM »
I want desperately to disagree with the categorization of Farenheit 9/11 as a "thought provoking" film but I haven't been able to force myself to see it yet, so I can't really say anthing at all about it.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 11:36:03 AM »
my impression is that it may be thought provoking, but that "provoking" in this case means "inflammatory"

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 11:53:09 AM »
I ain't seen much in the way of the nominated but I have to agree with you on The Incredibles & the team behind Sky Captain.
Any flick that has more blue screen than your average Star Wars prequel (and pulls it off) at least deserves a nomination. *grumble*stupid Matrix*grumble

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:33:32 PM »
I can't agree with you on The Terminal.

One of the most boring and utterly unentertaining movies I have seen in a while.  Boo!

Other than that, I mostly agree with your points.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 03:33:54 PM by Mr_Pleasington »

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 04:38:16 PM »
I feel the same way as Mr. P about "The Terminal"  Everyone is aware that I, Skar, did not write the  Oscar snubs article, yes?

I felt that "The Terminal" was a rather obvious and failed attempt at entertaining social commentary.  Painful.  It's sad when a great like Spielberg starts spewing out crap.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 04:50:41 PM »
Im sure Im alone but I cant agree with the Passion, either. I thought it was an exceedingly easy film to make, on just about every level emotionally, visually, and cinematographically. Frankly it wasnt 1/3 as good as the LDS film Jesus the Christ... plus there was no real message, just a lot of torture. Yeah I got it after the first hour, he went through more pain than anyone else, now quit ripping his skin off with a barbed flail.
A more courageous take would have been to focus on his message and resurrection rather than his murder.
But then Im not a big snuff film watcher.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 05:05:44 PM »
I absolutely refuse to see the Passion.  For some reason it just seems wrong to me to watch it.  I understand that Christ suffered for us, and paid the price of our sins, and I don't want to see someone's viewpoint on what they think is what happened (ie Mel Gibson) by showing a lot of gratuitous violence enacted on Christ.  In fact, I think it's inappropriate, but that's just me.
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 05:07:07 PM »
Word, I wish I had never seen it.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »
I liked it, but it was hell to watch.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »
I very  much liked the passion.  Gibson's take on the events was very focused (In catholic circles the phrase "the passion of the Christ", if I'm not much mistaken, refers to exacly what Gibson portrayed in the movie, the immediate events leading up to the resurrection)

As a Mormon I believe that the bulk of the suffering occurred in the garden of gethsemane. The physical aspect of Christ's suffering at the hands of humans took on a great deal of poignancy in the film because it was so totally in line with what might have happened, and so unnecessary.  (Pilate sends a man down to the punishment squad with instructions that he be "severely" punished and you get what Gibson portrayed, including the head sergeant putting a stop to it a little late(he had other things on his mind))  Christ was enduring what he had to in order to fulfill prophecy and die at the hands of the Jews.  The physical torture was merely the road he had to travel to get to that end.  And no matter how unnecessarily bad it got he couldn't quit if he wanted to fulfill his father's will.  And, for me at least, the suffering that happened in the garden is totally inaccessible.  I have no basis for comparison and therefore no understanding of what it is like to spiritually suffer for the sins of others.  The physical torture, while seperate, is the only part of Christ's trials I have any hope of understanding.  Watching his treatment spiral down in such a totally realistic way made the knowledge that it was merely the icing on the cake much deeper and more real for me.  

On top of that was the absolutely impeccable and realistic performances of the supporting cast.  In most LDS films Christ and everyone who has anything to do with him is portrayed as ultra-serious, ultra-pious, totally-in-control-at-all-times, and thus stiff and unrealistic.

And the feeling I got from Caviezel's performance that even Christ was operating on faith all the way to the very end was especially precious to me.

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 07:54:42 PM »
I agree with Mr.P on the Terminal, infact every movie I saw in the theater last year was better then it.

I also agree with Moredew on Passion.  I don't need a movie to tell my why I beleave the way I do, especialy one so graphic.  If there was less blood and touture, and had more about Crists life and minestry I would see it.

But thats why we have oppion peices like this, since not all of us think the same way.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 08:26:47 PM »
So you also agree with me on Passion.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »
I guess, but I skipped your, skars and serveral other's posts becaue I stopped reading after Moredew's.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 09:12:01 PM »
I posted before moredew, and moredew was agreeing with me.