Author Topic: Acknowledgements Draft  (Read 2325 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Acknowledgements Draft
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:04:09 AM »
I'm writing it right now.  So, if you've read and commented on ELANTRIS at some point, post your RL name here (even those of you who are obvious) so that I can get spelling and things right.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 07:10:42 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: ELANTRIS Acknowledgements Page
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 02:15:56 AM »
Kristina Kugler (though the last name was different at the time. :) )

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 08:31:19 AM »
Megan Kauffman

(I <3 Elantris)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 10:26:33 AM »
I didn't read ELANTRIS. Just wanted to participate. :D
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:44:24 PM »
Peter Ahlstrom
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 05:24:44 PM »
Benjamin R. Olsen

I want it just like that. Are you seriously going to put everybody who read it? That's a ton of acknowledgements, isn't it?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 05:44:19 PM »
Yes, it will be a number.  But, why not?  I think most readers just skip that page anyway.

And, those of you in one of my two long-term writing groups will get a separate paragraph.  Aren't you special?

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 05:49:43 PM »
I never read Elantris.  I feel shafted.  But, then again, I doubt you'd put me in the acknowledgements sections anyway...

...you're saving the dedications page for me.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 06:01:17 PM »
Nathan Goodrich
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 10:48:23 PM »
I didn't read Elantris, but I think my twin might have. I seem to remember something about it in a our collective consiousness. I'll ask him.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 10:53:47 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
Acknowledgements Draft
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 07:10:26 AM »
Okay, here's how it looks right now.  Notice that I managed to work in a few of you who had read some of my other early works, but not this one.  

Those of you who have lived around Utah, can you think of anyone that I'm forgetting?  Notice any miss-spelled names?

-------

Acknowledgements:

First and foremost, I would like to thank my agent, Joshua Bilmes, and my editor, Moshe Feder, for helping me squeeze the fullest potential out of this manuscript.  Without their masterful editorial vision, you'd be holding a very different book in your hands right now.

Next, high praise and thanks must be offered to the members of my various writing groups.  Alan Layton, Janette Layton, Kaylynne Zobell, Robert Zobell, and Ethan Skarstedt.  Daniel Wells, Benjamin R. Olsen, Nathan Goodrich, and Peter Ahlstrom.  Ryan Dreher, Micah Demoux, Annie Gorringe, and Tom Conrad (you guys were a writing group, even if you didn't know it!)  Thank you all so much for your work and suggestions.

In addition, there are dozens of people who read this book and others during my years struggling to get published, and I am inexpressibly grateful for their enthusiasm, criticism, and praise. Kristina Kugler, Megan Kauffman, Izzy Whiting, Eric Ehlers, Greg Creer, Ethan Sproat, Laura Bellamy, Mr. M, Kraig Hausmann, Nate Hatfield, Steve Frandson, and Krista Olsen.  If I forgot anyone, I'll get you in the next book!

I'd also like to give special thanks to those teachers who have helped me in my university career.  Professors Sally Taylor, Dennis Perry, and John Bennion (who worked on my Master's thesis committee.)  Professor Jacqueline Thursby for her faith in me.  David Farland, who sent me out into the world, and professor Douglas Thayer, whom I'll someday convince to read a fantasy book.  (He's getting a copy of this one, whether he wants it or not!)

Finally, I'd like to thank my family.  My father for buying me books when I was a kid, my mother for turning me into a scholar, my sisters for their smiles, and Jordan for putting up with a domineering older brother.  You can check out his work--along with Jeff Creer's amazing artistic design--on my website, www.brandonsanderson.com.

Thank you so much, everyone, for believing in me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 07:11:27 AM by EUOL »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Acknowledgements Draft
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 08:42:56 AM »
I think it looks good. Does Mr. M want his name like that? Isn't it Jason something?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 11:56:50 AM »
Brandon: I never read Elantris.  Unless you have some hidden reason for including me (i.e. world domination, awakening an ancient evil, imprisoning souls, etc.) please leave me out of it.  I'm sure Elantris is a fine book and I'll read it when it hits the shelves, but I'd feel foolish getting credit where credit is not due.

Oh, and if my name is being used for nefarious purposes, I want my share of the loot.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 11:59:53 AM »
I think he's giveing credit to all that were in the first writeing group(s) even if they hadn't read the book, since it was through their imput that he improved he writeing style to the point that it is.  And since probaly all those first books will never get published so he wants to give all those that helped over the years some credit.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 12:01:32 PM »
yeah, I haven't read Elantris either, but
a) i'm not nearly so embarassed by having my accomplishments, however meager, touted and exaggerated
and b) he said "and other novels" before my name, so I figured he was giving me credit for books I have read, like Way of Kings and Dragonsteel.