Author Topic: Movies on Christmas  (Read 2084 times)

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
Movies on Christmas
« on: December 23, 2004, 01:30:32 PM »
for the last ten years or so, it has been a family tradition of mine to go to the movies christmas night.  Usually "the family" consists of my parents, myself, occasionally my brother if he's in town, and sometimes my grandmas.  My wife in the other hand feels that going to the movies on Christmas is an absolutely horrible thing to do.  She feels that nobody should have to work on Christmas and  by going to the movies, we make the employees have a horrible holiday.  My argument is that most places that work holidays usually ask for volunteers so the people that are working requested to be there.

I don't know, am I wrong in thinking it's okay to go to the movies on Christmas?
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Movies on Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 01:33:44 PM »
Well, the places where I have worked, usually when they're open on Christmas, they do ask for volunteers. Course, the people who volunteer are usually those who can be easily bullied into working on Christmas.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 01:38:09 PM »
Yeah, I dont' think anyone should have to work on Christmas, and I can't guarantee that any of the places around here are strictly volunteer.

Besides - you always get movies and DVDs for christmas so why go out??
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 01:45:17 PM »
IMO, you're not a "bad" person for going on Christmas. Do I think they should be open? Heck no.
However, the job I have doesn't have "holidays" except that if we're scheduled to work on one of those days we get a comp day.
So for us, there's no difference in today, Christmas, New Year's, whatever. Admittedly any day the NYSE is closed makes for an easy workday but it's still work.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 01:57:20 PM »
My family does the Christmas Eve thing. I wouldn't say "Evil" but I personally wouldn't go on Christmas in areas like Provo. Here in the DC area, though, there are tons and tons of non-Christians happy to be paid time and a half to work on a holiday they don't celebrate anyway.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 02:07:08 PM »
That's a really good point, SE.  I'm still looking forward to sitting at home, bundled up in a blanket and watching RoTK, or Gargoyles, or whatever else we unwrap on Saturday morning.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

n8sumsion

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 02:19:45 PM »
What's funny about this, is that I didn't realize it was a family tradition. I guess I have gone to movies on Christmas, I've never really thought about it.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with going out to movies, dinner, whatever. If people want to work for the holiday, I'll support them. Sure, most people want to have the day off, but not everyone does. And even if some people are "forced" to work the day to entertain people like me, I still don't feel too bad about it. So they have to work on a holiday, if it's important enough not to work on the day, most people will be able to work around it.

As long as you're not ditching your family to go see movies, I say it's a great family tradition.

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »
I have one thing to say - Holiday Pay = time and half

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 03:52:15 PM »
Yeah, a lot of people really like working on Christmas, because they take home a lot of extra money. Usually they just move the family celebration day, and deal. I dont think its that horrible. I knew a Bartender who told me that they would fight over working on Christmas and Christmas eve because they usually went home with 1500 in tips each night. Its nice to pay the rent with just two nights of work...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 04:04:29 PM »
Just think how much a bartender bring home on New Years at a good club or even a bad club.  

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2004, 03:43:10 AM »
My family does the Christmas Eve thing. I wouldn't say "Evil" but I personally wouldn't go on Christmas in areas like Provo. Here in the DC area, though, there are tons and tons of non-Christians happy to be paid time and a half to work on a holiday they don't celebrate anyway.

Why not provo?  My family went to the movie house in provo mall last christmas night, although I forget what we watched.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2004, 08:39:28 PM »
My only thought could be that managers in Utah valley tend to abuse labor extensively.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 12:59:36 AM »
I thought he meant that most of Happy Valley is LDS, hence Christian, hence celebrates Christmas, whereas in areas like DC, there will be more non-Christians who don't care about working Christmas.  I think.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 06:08:34 AM »
I remember being completely flabbergasted to learn that people go to movies on holidays--my family has always stayed home or visited family, and the entire concept of going to movie on Christmas or the 4th of July was utterly foreign to me. I still get a weird vibe everytime I hear about movies that open on Christmas or some other such thing.

I don't think that going to see a movie on Christmas is bad, just outside my realm of experience (and comprehension).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 08:18:14 AM »
I can't say that I have ever gone to see a movie at Christmas, then again I don't go to the movies that regularly.  If its a joint thing, going with family or friends, and as n8sumion said, as long as you're not ditching anyone... sounds fine.  I can't  say that I would, largely because it would have to be a brilliant movie, even better than LotR, to get me to go to the movies on Christmas day - there are plenty of other days to go.  Also because my family/friends aren't really the type for going to the movies on Christmas day.  But hey.  Each to their own.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.