Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2004  (Read 25586 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2004
« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2004, 05:28:42 PM »
12,130 words for end of today. I was bad over the weekend, but I'm catching up.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2004, 01:21:11 AM »
Archon: I was doing some research on nautical terms.  My characters spend a good portion of the book on a ship, and I realized that although I know alot about ships, I don't know quite enough.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the information I need online, and the people at Barnes and Noble couldn't think of a book with the information I need.  I think I've found an out-of-print Eyewitness Book online that should help.  I'm all about children's reference books, because they don't take quite so much brain power to understand.  Hooray for the juvenile section.  

What do you want to know? I lived on a ship for 3 years.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 01:25:38 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2004, 01:43:40 AM »
12,313 for me so far.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2004, 02:30:31 AM »
It's 11:30 and I finally get to go home from work. I doubt I'll get anything written tonight, but at least we have a clear example of why I'm getting a new job.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2004, 03:25:36 AM »
10,140.  Yay!

So I'm still behind.  But I wrote 2000 words in an hour today.  That makes me HAPPY!!

Dr. Jeffe--
Here's a question for you.  I have many, but this is the immediate one.  What do you do if you're ship's caught in a storm?  I'm pretty sure you drop sail, and someone told me you're supposed to sail into the waves so they don't knock you over, but other than that, I know nothing.  
So much for writing what you know.  I think I've gotten myself in way over my head on this one, but I have 40,000 more words over my head to go.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:26:34 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2004, 03:54:26 AM »
1. If any terms dont make sense, just ask and I'll try to explain them.

On a sailing ship a good master will take down as much sail as they can while still being able to maintain control. Its just a matter of practicality because high variable winds will rip sails to shreds.  You try to point the bow of the ship into the sea state in really rough seas but that isnt always possible. In bad seas the other option is riding in the trough which can be horrible. A ship responds to two axis Pitch which is up and down motion (from stem to stern) and Roll which is side to side motion. The ideal way to point the vessel is to angle it at a wave getting a decent amount of pitch and roll. Rather than go perpindicular or parallel to the wave. Obviously parallel is a bad choice if the seas are really rough, if the decks are awash for instance, but it is easier to keep on course with beam seas. Its a gamble really, survivability vs destination.

Remember that before the storm theres a huge amount of activity from the crew. Battenning down everything that could possibly move paint, stores, the smallest thing can become a hazard when your pitching or rolling 40+ degrees. Any open hatch or door needs to be tightly closed to prevent flooding, but this is more important on a metal ship.
Sometimes even bolting stuff to the deck isn't enough. One day in a noreaster a 500 pound safe welded to the floor in the radio room broke free and went sliding around crushing everything in its way. Bookshelves broke free and desks bolted down broke loose. I helped lead a party to retie down a rescue bin that broke loose on top of our bridge. It nearly killed all of us and knocked a flare launcher overboard. Dont underestimate "gear adrift"
Fires and lanterns need to be put out, storm lines put on deck so that crewmembers can safely move back and forth with something to hold onto.

Also Remember since its a rolling motion the range of the roll or pitch is double( ie a 40 degree roll is actually 80 degrees), and very surreal (imagine you walls becoming your floor).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:56:59 AM by ElJeffe »

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2004, 05:01:12 AM »
Ug. Fell asleep with the laptop on my lap. It is 4am and all the lights are still on.  ::)

My grand total so far: 1600.

It'll pick up tomorrow, I think, when I get back to work on my big draft.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:18 AM »
End of day nine. 15, 123, unless I decide to write more later, which is unlikely. I plan to write RPG scenarios instead. :)

What, I couldn't let anyone get ahead of me. (And if somone tries to spite me by getting ahead of me while I'm not looking, don't worry, I'll catch up the day following. Except maybe tomorrow, when I'm busy.)
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 09, 2004, 08:41:25 AM »
Okay, I have to do actual work at work now so I'm leaving my NaNoWriMO at 12,269 words. I 've still got some catching up to do today. Didn't expect the weekend to be so distracting.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2004, 09:09:11 AM »
Day 8 up

Thinking of actually writing today.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2004, 03:58:19 PM »
1.  You try to point the bow of the ship into the sea state in really rough seas but that isnt always possible. In bad seas the other option is riding in the trough which can be horrible. Rather than go perpindicular or parallel to the wave. Obviously parallel is a bad choice if the seas are really rough, if the decks are awash for instance, but it is easier to keep on course with beam seas. Its a gamble really, survivability vs destination.

Thanks for your help!  I understood most of it, but there are a couple things I'm still not clear on.  
what's a sea state?  Beam seas?

Basically what I'm understanding from this is that you'd want to aim the boat toward the waves at an angle. but if you're really trying to stay on course you'd go parallel, but that's a bigger risk.  Do I have that right?

Also, if you're dropping sail, which ones would you leave up?  I guess that might depend on the type of ship...but I'm not sure which sails are the most important for staying in control.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2004, 08:23:27 PM »
Sea state is just that, its a way of analyzing where waves are coming from.

It applies to the second phrase "beam seas"

On a ship because its a self contained floating island you have to describe how the outside world or seas are interacting with the ship.

Beam seas mean waves that hit you from the side or beam of the vessel, while following seas hit you from the stern of the vessel. Bow seas or head seas obviously are coming at you from the front.

as for sails I'll have to check some of my books, our ship was metal with big diesel engines, and I didnt do too much sail work. Off the top of my head I think you might leave the Jib alone and pull down all the other sheets. A captain with lots of stores or spares might just leave everything he could up to maintain headway.

As for maintaining course well that all depends I guess, remember you have no control over where the storm is coming or how the sea state happens. You have more control of the helm in beam seas because your rudder stays in the water longer. The reason you go at a bit of an angle is to get the best of stability and ride while being able to maintain course...
Its not always that great at either...

Nor'easters are particularly bad, because they're cold...

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2004, 09:02:27 PM »
My total written mark is 14098.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 09:02:49 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2004, 09:36:03 PM »
So the reason you take the sails down in just to preserve the sails, not because it's dangerous to have them up in a storm?  I was kinda assuming that if the wind was too strong and you have too much sail up, that would be a bad thing, but maybe not.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2004, 09:37:12 PM »
my current total word count is "I suck"

but at least I'm not being medicated for it

Instead of not sucking, I may go play Starcraft