Author Topic: May 17 2010 - Ryos - Benders - Chapters 1 and 2  (Read 3908 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: May 17 2010 - Ryos - Benders - Chapters 1 and 2
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
I want to apologize for taking so long to get to this.  I plead family issues.

This is the start of a good book. A lot of what I would say has been said in previous critque, so I've concentrated on the issue that I didn't feel had been dealt with.  As for the problems with free writing a novel, wow you like to choose the hard way. :)  But you might consider that rather than revising, you COULD take Eric's advice and simply expand on what's there already.  Let Nmae muse a bit about her selection of wings which let's us see more of her personality and class/species/profession.

Another point is the handling of royalty.  Jonas' "brain" is more majestic than the king, bickering, brogue, grammar and all.  Kings who fail to BE royal, whether they feel it or not, soon find themselves on the wrong side of a sharp dagger.  If the king is strongly entrenched enough to be recruiting covert operatives he needs to be more of a stickler for propriety.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:31:28 PM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 10:38:24 PM »
A lot of people have gotten hung up on the king, not just in this but in the prior short. The issue is that Thoracious is not a traditional king, and he plays a different role than the title suggests. I've all but decided to change his title in an attempt to fix this perception gap, but I'm not quite sure what it should be.  President has democratic associations, and this is not a democracy (it's an aristocracy). Seer has religious implications, and Thoracious is not a religious figure.

Guh...I'll think of something eventually. Until then, I'll continue to write him as "king".
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Ah actually president has imperial connotations, not to put too fine a point on it.  After all the Caeser's other official title was President of the Roman Senate.  But I wasn't talking about the nature of his kingship.  I meant the nature of people.  A leader who has any significant population following him, has to be imperious and awe-inspiring or he will be killed by someone who thinks he can do better.  That's why our modern leaders have such efficient corps of body guard.  But even the Supervisor of a small county in one of the US states --where we celebrate egalitarian ideals-- has to be somewhat unapproachable and even haughty in order for familiarity to not breed such contempt that no one follows instructions.

Can you imagine a General Officer having even as much familiarity with his people as the Lieutenant who commands a platoon?  It would be chaos.  A smart lieutenant learns how to cow his sergeants and corporals into knowing he is the voice of command come down to them, but lets the sergeants seem to run things.  A duke or colonel can't even allow that paradigm to creep in.  A king or general must seem unimpeachable and unapproachable. without awe command structure breaks down and mutiny is inevitable.

Now you’ve pointed out that the role of this figure is not that of a king per se, but if he’s a ruler, governor or any sort of military or civil authority he needs to be more regal.  If he’s completely outside the command structure you need to go with something that describes his office.  A seer would not ONLY be a religious figure but also would be an ADVISER to those who make the decisions.  Same is true of vizier, philosopher, etc.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »
Haven't read this yet (it's next on my queue, when I can actually get back to my queue), but just wanted to make a comment on the Nmae thing. I wouldn't go with N'mae, mostly because I have a tendency to dislike random and what feel like superfluous apostrophes. There's also this thing I read once, I can't remember where or who said it, but there was a push a few years back for sci-fi/fantasy readers to mentally replace the apostrophes with the word 'boink' whenever they read them. Since then, I have the unconscious tendency to do so, so "N'mae" in my head, would end up being pronounced 'Nah-BOINK-may'. :P
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »
Hmmm I didn't notice a stop in Nmae.  I read it like MMMMMnim-ayeee, only compressed.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
Okay, I've finally gotten to this. I'm not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already, but I feel I shouldn't comment on 2b and 3 until I've commented on this.

Also, thanks for suggesting Tofu as a reader. It's fantastic!

Anyway, I've mentioned I don't mind Nmae as a name. Don't put an apostrophe in it, it's just fine as it is.

Wow, first chapter was a lot shorter than I expected. It was interesting, if confusing due to being thrown in this world rather quickly. Bending seems very interesting, and I'm curious as to the limits of what it can do. However, before I can begin to think on this, we're suddenly introduced to people having frequencies and tones and all that jazz. All of it very intriguing, but I didn't feel as if I was given enough.

I like Nmae. The thing with the emotions was rather odd, especially this line:

"She knew shouldn’t be this afraid, not yet, but it was getting difficult to ignore."

Which leads me to believe a cost of Bending, or of seeing things in audible terms (which, now that I think of it, could easily be more Bending at work), is that it makes you feel fear. This is further solidified in the final line of the chapter:

She was so happy that she felt she might just make it out of the city before being overrun by terror.
A very interesting ramification of using the magic, and one I haven't seen before. If this isn't the case, then I am so stealing that for another story because that is an awesome concept.

Not much else I think I can say on chapter 1. I would have liked to see more to it, but at the same time I'm not sure what else you could add. The only thing that comes to mind is more on Nmae and what she's doing; as Justice1337 said, there's so little on her and what she's doing, that I have a hard time caring about any of it. I'm intrigued, but not really intrigued enough.

Onto chapter 2.

Love the first line, although it seems like a lot of stories I read lately seem to start with people in jail or imprisoned in some other way. Nothing wrong with that, just coincidence in what I've read recently.

I like Dalrymple, especially how he argues with his brain. His escape seems to involve magic, obviously, and I'm wondering if the magic he uses is related to the Bending Nmae used in the first chapter. He doesn't seem to know what he's doing or how he's doing it, only that it works, which says quite a bit about his character. One page in, and I feel I have very good impression of the man, so very nicely done.

The corridor into which they emerged was posh, with polished marble floors and wood-paneled walls.

Use of the word 'Posh' threw me out a bit, as it's a British slang term (as you're using it here, at least) and unless this is set in our world, or Dalrymple has knowledge of the United Kingdom, it doesn't fit the rest of the story.

"{Countrian}" makes me laugh.  ;D

Interesting chapter. Not sure exactly what I think of it. There's nothing quite yet to really hook me to this story, aside from a few mysterious motivations, and while that can work, I haven't been given enough to really care. Well, that's not completely accurate; I do want to know if I'm right about the magic causing fear in those who use it. Again, though, not quite enough to make me care beyond more than a few chapters, so the following ones will need to have a good hook to really get me into them.

Nice job overall, though. I'll be reading 2b and 3 and commenting on the shortly.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »
Steal away my friend. Great artists steal. ;D

While you're correct that Nmae's fear is caused by her use of magic, there's more to it than that. Sadly (fortunately?), the full explanation won't come for several chapters yet.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.