Author Topic: Vista Gaming and DX 10  (Read 2178 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Vista Gaming and DX 10
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:41:07 AM »
If you're like me, and I know you are, you've been following the improvements that Windows Vista is making for games with the new architecture and Direct X 10.  Now we're finally getting screen shots of games and they make Oblivion look like PS1 games.

http://uk.media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/img_3533353.html

http://uk.media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/img_3533354.html

http://uk.media.pc.ign.com/media/694/694190/imgs_1.html

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: Vista Gaming and DX 10
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »
Freakin' amazing! I remember wondering when the graphics would be as good as the movie sequences in TIE Fighter!  :P
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:35:29 PM »
Hooray for renders.

Listen, they don't actually make games that look like that. They say they will, but don't. Why? Because it'd cost a fortune and nobodies PC could run them.

Just hype, kiddies.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:46:50 PM »
True, but the point is the technology is there, and it can be played! the movies are incredible, if you watch those.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
Like Entsuropi said.  Show me someone actually playing one of these things on a computer that costs less than $2000 and maybe I'll get excited.

blcdrayco

• Level 4
  • Oops.  Well, who needs Asia anyways, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »
I have to wonder what the actuall spect to run vista will be.  Not the claimed specs, but the ones that will run it at a reasonalble speed.
It does not matter if you are the emperor of man- If your wife is angry, you sleep on the couch.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:58:15 AM »
Well we already know you'll have to have a new video card that will run DX 10 plus a minimum of 1 gig of ram for vista.

As for the games, one reason those are quite possible is DX 10 allows graphics cards to use a computers ram for it's own uses, so if you have a 512 meg graphics card and 2 gigs ram on your PC you've got 2.5 gigs for your graphics card.  Plus they've made memory usage much more efficient.  This will also allow Videocards to focus less on including memory and more on their own processing.

Are those Bullshots?  Possibly.  But those graphics are supposed to be doable on Vista, but as has been brought up it will be quite expensive at first since all PCs around now don't even have the correct hardware to run it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.