Author Topic: review: Kris Longknife Mutineer  (Read 2533 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: review: Kris Longknife Mutineer
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
Why do bad books get good covers when so many great books get awful covers?  It just isn't fair.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
Compensation. 

Someone, somewhere in that publishing agency knew that the book was not that good and went the extra-mile on the cover to try and salvage the investment through impulse buys.

I must say that Nessa's description made it sound like a liberal (global warming is man made, women can do everything a man can do BETTER, soldiers are sad if there's no war, pampered rich kids could succeed with minimal effort in the military, blah blah blah) screed. 

Science fiction is all about speculation but when it comes to women in combat I have very little patience these days.  Putting women into combat as though they were men works about as well as having open flame on the asteroid in that armageddon movie, or tilting gravity on star ships in the Star Wars films. 

Good science fiction lets you postulate what would happen if...something...and the rules that we know to govern the world still apply.  Making women soldiers act just like men with different plumbing is a pointless political gesture.

There are ways to make women in combat roles work.  One of those ways is NOT simply making the military gender-blind.

I haven't read the book.  From Nessa's description, I don't plan to.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:03 AM »
Me either.

My favorite combat women are Bujold's and Cherryh's science fiction ones. Though...of course...my favorites of Cheryh's also aren't human.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!