Poll

Pick one:  Poll results post on Monday

Oathbound
2 (66.7%)
The Chaos Within
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: November 24, 2009, 08:46:47 PM

Author Topic: New Title  (Read 1555 times)

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
New Title
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
Soooooooo... Oathbound was always just a working title, and it may end up being the final title, but I think I may have found a better one.  As you can see from the above listed poll, the alternate is The Chaos Within.  I think it plays well into the redemption/revenge theme that (hopefully) the story will have.

So, the poll is a bit premature; I won't (and you won't either for that matter) be able to pick a title really until the book is hammered out entirely.  Still, for those of you who've read it (and those of you who like to buy books based on whether the title sounds cool), go ahead and let me know which title you like better for the book.

And yes, Chaos, you now have to choose between my stealing your story name, or stealing your username.  Life sucks that way (although I promise that your username was not the inspiration).  What can I say, you have good taste in names.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: New Title
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:57:17 AM »
Argh! The choice is too hard! On the one hand, I like Oathbound for my story, so there's that. And a few hours ago when I read this topic originally, I thought Chaos Within sounded awesome. Now... now it sounds akin to a really angsty book about teenagers. Angsty teenagers.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:09:24 AM »
Angsty teenagers.
Is there any other kind? :P
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:29:14 AM »
I agree. The Chaos Within sounds more like a happy "We all have inner turmoil that gets resolved" than revenge type book. If you're trying to emphasize the redemption theme, it might work, but it sounds a little corny to me.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:06:12 AM »
I can't say that I really like either of them at this point--neither of them *feel* right to me given what I've read thus far. That said, I'm definitely part of the "ooh, pretty jacket art" kind of impulse buyer. :P

Obviously you know a lot more about the plot than we do at this point, but with what I've seen, I'd have several other ideas for a title. I don't really see much in the Oath department (other than what was broken in the beginning), and Chaos... well, there's lots of that, but a book without chaos probably isn't much of a story, is it? Entropy takes all the fun out of books.
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:57:50 AM »
and Chaos... well, there's lots of that, but a book without chaos probably isn't much of a story, is it? Entropy takes all the fun out of books.

Actually, entropy puts chaos in books, because entropy is disorder :P

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:09:03 AM »
I suppose it does. I'm used to using entropy in information theory, where *knowing* the the exact entropy of a system means you can correctly define its state no matter what. More entropy would mean more chaos, until you figured it out. Entropy is just the potential for disorder, though, not the kinetics of it.

I'm sure you know a lot about your namesake, though. :)
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »
I suppose it does. I'm used to using entropy in information theory, where *knowing* the the exact entropy of a system means you can correctly define its state no matter what. More entropy would mean more chaos, until you figured it out. Entropy is just the potential for disorder, though, not the kinetics of it.

I'm sure you know a lot about your namesake, though. :)

Math/physics major. It comes with the territory :P

vegetathalas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • Jenn's World
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:46:50 AM »
I wouldn't sweat too much. Your publisher's going to change it anyway :)

I like "Chaos Within" without the "The."