Which is better?

Pie!
17 (48.6%)
Cake!
16 (45.7%)
Cheesecake?
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Pie VS Cake: The Official Thread  (Read 44477 times)

Bastille

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pie VS Cake: The Official Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
hehehhehehehehehe...

it is done!!!!  ;D
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »
As the Lord of Cake, I am very pleased with the current results. ;D
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:37 PM »
I am a newcomer to this thread, but claim a superior knowledge of the subject as a former pastry chef in a world-class hotel.  Cake is fine, but pie requires a vastly greater skill set to do well.  The crust must contain some butter, but be flaky with a minimum of ice-water added quickly enough to keep the dough cool.  You must knead just enough, not too much, and not too thin.  The end result must not be soggy on the bottom, very difficult to achieve (but I have a secret.) The filling must set up, but be devoid of that floury or corn-starchy taste.  I have made chocolate mousse-filled cakes, dripping with butter cream and festooned with magnificent edible roses, that would put you cake lovers into rapture, but nothing beats a perfect holiday pie. 

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2009, 05:10:07 AM »
Hey inquisitor can i be chancelor so i can go beat up pie lovers and get away with it cuz i got a peice of paper signed and sealed by you saying i can?

And who cares which is harder to make (though flaming alaska i have heard is tough) cake still taste better
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »
Kaz, dear . . . you would beat up a pie lover who also bakes cakes?  This makes no sense at all! 
I think I could save myself by placing one of my famous from-scratch German Chocolate cakes between me and you, so I am not terribly concerned.  But I think even you would have a hard time resisting a perfect French Silk pie.   = ]

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2009, 12:56:12 AM »
I've never had french silk pie. It sounds delicious, though...

Man, now I want pie. Chocolate pie. Or something. Anything chocolate really...(Yes, I'm still a lover of cake, but I never said I didn't like pie, I just said that I like cake more and that's just because I like more cakes than I do pie....)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2009, 01:01:16 AM »
Yeah, I had a chocolate pie yogurt and it was yummy!! It would be better if it was a chocolate cake yogurt.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2009, 03:02:33 AM »
wilson, you call me a cake sympathizer yet you do more than sympathize with pie . . . although that is understandable because of pie's natural superiority.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »
Hey, I never said I wasn't a pie sympathizer. You're the one who seems to think it's a terrible thing to be a cake sympathizer. I don't find it bad at all to like multiple kinds of desserts. Makes for an all-around better-tasting life. Especially when one of those desserts is Ben & Jerry's Half-Baked. Mmmm. Even thinking about that delicious goodness packed in a pint-sized carton makes me happy.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2009, 11:25:16 PM »
French Silk Pie:

Toast a bunch of shredded coconut, cool, add melted butter and sugar and pat into a pie crust. (sorry, I never measure)  Or pre-bake a Marie Callender's or Pet Ritz pie shell and cool.

Plop some homemade chocolate mousse, flavored with vanilla extract or Grand Marnier, into pie shell and top with freshly whipped heavy cream.  Shave dark baker's chocolate all over the top and chill a few hours.  It's so good it's almost a cake!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2009, 05:41:38 AM »
Cheesecake is indeed a cake!!!!!!!!! unless you get the frozen ones at the market and that's just a custard in a graham cracker crust.... i spoke with my father on this (and he was an executive chef at a 3 out of 4 star restaurant before practising law) and he says that new york style cheesecake AND all other cheesecakes that are restaurant quality or better have eggs and generally have milk  (and there is always a dairy product) not to mention they rise when you bake them...ha in your face whoever corrected me like 2 weeks ago... this is to late but ha anyways :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2009, 01:05:38 PM »
Cheesecake is indeed a cake!!!!!!!!! unless you get the frozen ones at the market and that's just a custard in a graham cracker crust.... i spoke with my father on this (and he was an executive chef at a 3 out of 4 star restaurant before practising law) and he says that new york style cheesecake AND all other cheesecakes that are restaurant quality or better have eggs and generally have milk  (and there is always a dairy product) not to mention they rise when you bake them...ha in your face whoever corrected me like 2 weeks ago... this is to late but ha anyways :P

sorry, but i believe my sources are a bit more reputable than your "dad saying so".

To repeat them, the new english oxford dictionary, wikipedia, a publicly broadcast tv show that covers the etymology of foods with food historians (they do exist), and my own personal experience with cooking classes. I'm sorry to say but those both out number, and generally out qualify your dad. :)

Also: Having eggs and milk doesn't change the fact that it still fills the tart description: "A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings."
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
If it is neither cake nor pie, then it has no place in this thread! Begone from my sight, cheesecake!
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »
If it is neither cake nor pie, then it has no place in this thread! Begone from my sight, cheesecake!

that's a terrible thing to say to cheesecake. Regardless of what it's denomination, it is a dessert to be reckoned with.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
Cheesecake is kind of like fungus, kind of a plant, kind of an animal but unlike either, right?

Cheesecake will be served in heaven, of that I am sure, no matter what it really is.  Cheesecake is a universe unto itself.