Author Topic: review: Good Night, and Good Luck  (Read 2772 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Good Night, and Good Luck
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
Umm, ya.  All I got from that review as to why the movie is perfect is it's got the dreamy George Clooney and it's black and white.  Seriously did Clooney pay you to write this?  You spend much more space gushing about him then telling the reader how this is any different from your average Hollywood-zation of history.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 03:20:12 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
George Clooney is the artistic genius behind this movie. He put his heart and soul into, and tells a great story.
As a film maker, he is emerging as an interesting and brilliant new talent. Nowhere in there does the word "dreamy" come in.

I guess you read a different review that the one we wrote, because we talked about more than that.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Paul Gibbs

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:06:35 PM »
To have gone into greater detail about why this is different from other Hollywood portrayals of McCarthyism than what we already did would have A: Given away too much about the film, B: Steered the review in too political a direction. Either one would have been a disservice.

When someone writes, directs and acts in a film, his name is naturally going to come up multiple times in the review.

Paul Gibbs

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 07:11:46 PM »
Having just gone back and re-read the review, I just can't see where you're coming from. The review talks about the subject matter, the quality of the performances, the lack of heavy-handedness, the cinematic technique, etc. Your criticsim is neither fair nor accurate.

Clearly you were looking for something to jump, and I congratulate for finding it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 06:10:56 AM »
To me saying in a review that a director does a good job or an actor is great doesn't account for useful info.  I'm not looking at something to "jump" at as you said, I'm looking to know why I should see the movie and unfortunately you don't tell me why besides 'They do a good job'.  You give the movie a perfect score yet I have no idea why it's that good from what you wrote.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 10:48:08 AM »
I actually think the review is rather good. It hits a lot of things that I care about. Unlike Spriggan, I'm typically sensitive about the quality of the directing and acting. My impression is that the story isn't really plot driven as much as it is character and theme driven. I like that the review mentions themes that are addressed in the movie.

Though the review could address some more basics like the physical setting and introductory events.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 11:19:57 AM »
If you'd like to tailor your reviews to fill Spriggan's needs all you really need to do is comment on the quality of the CGI.  If it's good he'll see it.  If not, he won't.  If the film doesn't use CGI he wonders why anyone bothered to make it.  All it would take is a single sentence.

I wouldn't bother if I were you though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:20:17 AM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 11:29:14 AM »
I see 42's point. In many cases, we would have given a bit more time to the set up of story, but since this is a movie wherin the basic setup is a matter of widley known history, I suppose we just assumed that people would know the basics. This may have been a mistake.

The plot of the movie is very starightforward: it's simply about Edward R. Murrow, a reporter for the CBS network, who did a series of editorial peices which challenged the bullying tactics of Senator Joseph McCarthy. The story follows the airing of those peices and the fallout from them, both in terms of what McCarthy attempted to do in retaliation, and how the peices effected meaningful change.

I have no problem with someone disliking our reviews - I think it would be hypocritical for a critic to be unwilling to take criticism (say that three times fast.). But when you cover the fact that a movie is brilliantly acted, written and directed (and explaining what about the direction), to me the three most important aspects in any film, it's hard for me to understand where the complaint is coming from. Again, I feel that perhaps we assumed too much as far as public knowledge of the history of these events.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:32:30 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:30:18 AM »
If you'd like to tailor your reviews to fill Spriggan's needs all you really need to do is comment on the quality of the CGI.  If it's good he'll see it.  If not, he won't.  If the film doesn't use CGI he wonders why anyone bothered to make it.  All it would take is a single sentence.

I wouldn't bother if I were you though.

LOL.

For the record, we enjoy a good FX driven as as anyone, (we've probably seen "Jurassic Park" 400 times), and are lifelong ILM fans. There's nothing wrong with enthusiasm about effects. Even then, I do like to see something else along with the effects, and I think Spriggan shares some of our hang ups about bad effects.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:41:41 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 01:04:41 PM »
Interesting, the impression I get of this movie is that it isnt trying to be an Oscar fest. Unlike other gut wrenching heartstring pulling movies out right now. In fact Clooney seems to have made several directorial choices that may doom the movie awards wise. Choices that I find very interesting. Shooting in black and white was one of them. Why, because Clooney is no Spielberg and while it seems like an important film I doubt critics will cut Cloony the slack they gave Spielberg. I think this is a very personal story for him, but I get a lot of this from his NPR interview last week. Some people think its a bit of political grandstanding though... and it might be a little. I doubt the movie could have been made or release 4 years ago.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 01:10:19 PM »
I don't understand, Jeffe, you think black and white dooms it for Oscar? Raging Bull (1980) was shot in black and white and won 2 oscars, as well as being nominated for best cinematography, direction, and best picture. It may make it less popular in the box office, but I don't think that choice will seriously hurt it's oscar chances.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 01:19:14 PM »
that was then though, I think people are less tolerent of black and white now in the day of massive computer special effects and digital films. Including the Academy. I think a lot of Hollywood types find it pretentious.
Personally I love black and white films...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 01:20:07 PM by ElJeffe »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »
Hrm. On the other hand, it could help it by bringing up the Noir vibe - which brings an element of classyness that will please the hollywood crowd.

We need more film noir. Immediately!
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 02:04:18 PM »
I totally agree