Author Topic: Hitchhiker's Guide review and spoilers  (Read 3065 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Hitchhiker's Guide review and spoilers
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2005, 02:37:05 AM »
That's what it sounds like, 42. Also, I honestly don't think the filmmakers really know what's going on with the story at all--I doubt they've even read the second book.

Definitely wrong. They totally read all the books.
If I may be permitted one spoiler, at the end of the movie they decide to go to the Restaurant at the End of Universe and start flying off; Marvin corrects them and says "no, the other end of the universe," and they turn around. Aside from the obvious textual errors (they don't fly to Milliways, they get teleported there) this betrays a complete lack of knowledge that the "end" being referred to is the final end, time-wise, rather than some sort of physical edge.

It's a joke. You're supposed to laugh. If they do make a sequel I'm sure it will be the timewise end rather than an astronomological end.
I really just think they thought it was a hot property, grabbed it, and then did whatever they wanted with it without regard for the source material at all.

Yeah, not true at all. They definitely made changes to the plot, but...so? Since when have different versions of the guide been logically consistent with each other...and if the property was so hot, how come it took so flippin' long to get made? (Karen's comments.)
From the first post:
Worst of all, the dialogue (which is really the whole point, given that even Adams' original story was episodic and underdeveloped) has all been changed. Adams jokes all are gone, replaced by new, lame jokes that could have come from any bad Hollywood comedy. Zaphod's character, background, and motivation are completely changed, Marvin (arguably the most popular character, and certianly the most quotable) has virtually no lines, and the Guide itself is all but absent (and its narration, when it actually shows up, is completely different).

All basically totally wrong.

So anyway, we started laughing during the INSPIRED opening credits sequence (during which Karen said that alone was worth the price of the ticket), and upon leaving the movie, we giggled all the way to the car.

Being forewarned by this thread, I had thought we'd need a contingency plan, a good movie to watch after we got home, but I am quite pleased to report that my worries were completely unfounded.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
I definitely agree about the opening credits. "So long and thanks for all the fish" was going through my head all the way home. What was in the closing credits? You mean after the dolphins come home and the credits start rolling? Once they started rolling, we left, but my friends stayed, and when they came out they said there hadn't been anything else.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2005, 05:30:33 PM »
"So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" was my favorite chapter when I first read the books.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
There is another Guide Entry during the ending credits after the "so long and thanks for all the fish" (ending credits version) song ends. (It's the one that says "be careful what you say" and has the passing microscopic spacefleet.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 02:16:42 AM »
Hmm, I don't remember that. I wonder if we missed it, or if I was just not paying attention.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »
You probably missed it. It's a couple minutes long, and takes up about a quarter of the screen, and the music stops playing during it, so it's pretty noticeable.

Chris Hansen

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2005, 03:09:23 AM »
(and by the way, how did what's-his-name, A-whatever, get his towel back after the poetry? he left it in the room they'd been captured in)

I saw it for the second time Saturday morning and after the first showing (on Tuesday) I was thinking the same thing.  This time I noticed that when Ford asked him to help break the pipe it seemed to be jammed into his robe pocket.

I got to see the movie with skar at the preview screening so I had a few days to think about it and mull it over.  His review is pretty much spot on so I won't link to my review.

Suffice to say, this movie rocked.  'nuff said.

p.s.  by pissing all over this fine movie, http://planetmagrathea.com has guaranteed I won't go visit the site. ever.  

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 10:08:34 AM »
ok, on Peter's recommendation, coupled with Skar's review, I'm all over it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 01:34:11 PM »
Just got back from seeing it.

Meh. It wasn't a total waste of my time. But the humour... often wasn't. It felt terribly forced.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2005, 03:25:06 PM »
The humor was all in the falling pot's dialogue. Marvin's voice was well done, though his body bothered me forever and ever amen. Aside from that I'm waiting for the next one. The entire thing with Slatibartfast, I thought, was interesting and very over-arching. I liked how you could see the one piece of a planet with a number on it as if it were just a numbered piece that went in a certain place. Because they build planets.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 09:02:29 PM »
Saw it, loved it. I thought it was quite funny. Will probably be even funnier when I get it on DVD and watch it a 3 a.m.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
locusmag.com has a review up that mentions what I think are pretty legitimate negatives in the light of well-informed fans of the books and radioplay and tv series and computer game. But it doesn't mention the positives near enough--no mention of the hilarious opening credits.

Of course, if you aren't laughing in the opening credits, the movie is probably not for you.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2005, 05:50:19 PM »
Sorry - I have neither seen this yet nor read the preceding thread, but did have a thought.  

I was reading some of the review on Rotten Tomatoes and found that many of the negative reviews mentioned the plot or disjointed story or lack of direction.  If this is true then the movie is apparently very faithful to the novel in that respect, and maybe many of those reviewers were expecting a more normal story.  I'm guessing they never read the book, or if they did then they didn't like it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:50:47 PM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2005, 06:56:37 PM »
Good point and probably spot on.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch