Author Topic: Subtitles  (Read 6284 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Subtitles
« on: November 25, 2003, 06:57:08 PM »
Here's an idea. The subtitles of all the articles are completly random. Some people leave it blank, some people include the author's name, some people do a newspaper style headline, , sometimes it's something witty, and I'm pretty sure I've seen case of the actual subtitle of the work being reviewed put here.

How about this gets a bit normalised? It currently looks really stupid on the department pages. And while we're at it, that Ars Magica review needs a score, the huge "No Score" looks ridiculous. But I digress. Anyway, it think it would be better if we could come to an agreement and all use the Subtitle box for the same sort of thing.

Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Subtitles
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 08:07:36 PM »
I kind of like the randomness of the subtitles, but I'm willing to be convinced.

Who wrote the Ars Magic review? I'd look, but if someone knows it would save me some time.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 08:46:38 PM »
It was written by "V4X3N", who I have never heard of,

The randomness of the subtitles can sort of be good, but what I'd suggest then, is everyone write something random and/or witty. It seems at the moment to lack consistancy. If I want to know the author, do I scroll to the bottom or the top? Should I read the line expecting to laugh, or should I look at it as something vanilla, like a newspaper headline? It annoys me significntly. Mostly though, it looks stupid on the department pages, since the subtitle is shown. Are we expecting a description? or what? I think having these normalised would make the department pages (particularly the "List all reviews" ones) alot easier on the eyes, and easier to navigate.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 11:29:15 PM »
eh, it's not that big an issue for me. I write my own subtitles. sometimes I'm witty, sometimes I'm descriptive. I don't see why that needs to change. It's done in a lot of publishing contexts.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 12:11:27 AM »
I put my name and the author's name (for books) and would resist changing.  While witty subtitles are fine, I would be annoyed if I were searching book reviews if I had only titles, and no author's names.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch