All of them!
2 (8.3%)
Ruin
1 (4.2%)
Preservation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: October 14, 2008, 05:24:45 AM

Author Topic: What will happen in book three: HOA.  (Read 17640 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What will happen in book three: HOA.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2008, 02:52:41 AM »
Haha :p Well, I just thought Zane was annoying throughout all of Book 2, that's why I didn't care for him.

The bloodletting relates to the link between Hemalurgy and blood, the link that is there, but not quite clear. I'm fairly certain the size and the amount of spikes has a great deal to do with Ruin's hold as well.

But, Ruin doesn't fully control Marsh's mind. He wants to kill himself, he doesn't want to do what Ruin wants. It's a start to resistance :P

Perhaps then Ruin doesn't control the mind...Perhaps just the body...
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2008, 05:03:57 AM »
Haha :p Well, I just thought Zane was annoying throughout all of Book 2, that's why I didn't care for him.

The bloodletting relates to the link between Hemalurgy and blood, the link that is there, but not quite clear. I'm fairly certain the size and the amount of spikes has a great deal to do with Ruin's hold as well.

But, Ruin doesn't fully control Marsh's mind. He wants to kill himself, he doesn't want to do what Ruin wants. It's a start to resistance :P

Perhaps then Ruin doesn't control the mind...Perhaps just the body...
In that prologue though, right at the end...
That was why it was so much fun. Marsh picked up a mallet and began to pound.

Sounds to me like it does change your state of mind since it seems Marsh started to enjoy it when Ruin took over.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »
Yeah; in the moment when Marsh seized control of his mind again (before losing it again in the end), his perceptions and viewpoints completely changed from delight to horror.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
Yeah; in the moment when Marsh seized control of his mind again (before losing it again in the end), his perceptions and viewpoints completely changed from delight to horror.

Indeed.  Imagine how horrific it would be if you were still in control of your thoughts but Ruin had full control of your body.  *Shivers* 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »

In fact, it's almost like Ruin is thinking with Marsh's mind when he takes charge.  For a computer analogy, he is controlling or subverting the software which controls the hardware, rather than just hijacking the hardware.

Incidentally, there were also some hints in WoA that indicate that the control wasn't absolute.  Doesn't Marsh say something about wishing he knew why he had to kill Sazed?  I doubt Ruin would say anything; he would just kill him.

My goodness but I hope this comes into play somehow.  Knowing Brandon, though, it could be a trope that is about to be popped.
Nature hates being reified.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »

In fact, it's almost like Ruin is thinking with Marsh's mind when he takes charge.  For a computer analogy, he is controlling or subverting the software which controls the hardware, rather than just hijacking the hardware.

Incidentally, there were also some hints in WoA that indicate that the control wasn't absolute.  Doesn't Marsh say something about wishing he knew why he had to kill Sazed?  I doubt Ruin would say anything; he would just kill him.

My goodness but I hope this comes into play somehow.  Knowing Brandon, though, it could be a trope that is about to be popped.

Or, and this is a bit more of a professional comparison.

If any of you watch the Fairly Odd Parents on cartoon network, you probably know the kid with a giant zit on his face that is begining to take over his brain--he jumps in and out of submission. Thats probably whats happening to Marsh.

But instead of a zit it's the metal spikes running through him...

hey, in Allomancy, which metal is opposite of Steel? I think that could be the type of metal used as the spikes.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2008, 10:24:46 PM »
hey, in Allomancy, which metal is opposite of Steel? I think that could be the type of metal used as the spikes.

Iron.  But now I'm confused.
-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »

I have my reasons for believing it isn't steel, one is that Kwaan states that nothing can be trusted but steel--Unless Kwaan Betrays Alendi for other reasons untold to us--then that would make that statement questionable, and thus everything we think we know about the prophecy is yet again tossed out the window--so we can only assume that everything we know to be true.

So Steel = Trust, and Ruin resistent (lol)

So How could the Steel Inquistors be controlled by Ruin? Contradicting isn't it...?

We can only assume that the term steel for a steel inquistor must be a product of arrogance--in the same sense that native americans are called Indians...

So if it isn't steel, what is it?

My guess would be iron--opposite of Steel. (thank you Wielder, as i was to lazy to look for myself.)

Then again, The spikes could be Steel, but the plates covering them, they could be iron.

Either way, based on what books one and two have revealed, Steel can't be the means by which Ruin takes hold of the Inquistors.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »

I have my reasons for believing it isn't steel, one is that Kwaan states that nothing can be trusted but steel--Unless Kwaan Betrays Alendi for other reasons untold to us--then that would make that statement questionable, and thus everything we think we know about the prophecy is yet again tossed out the window--so we can only assume that everything we know to be true.

So How could the Steel Inquistors be controlled by Ruin? Contradicting isn't it...?

We can only assume that the term steel for a steel inquistor must be a product of arrogance--in the same sense that native americans are called Indians...

My guess would be iron--opposite of Steel. (thank you Wielder, as i was to lazy to look for myself.)

Then again, The spikes could be Steel, but the plates covering them, they could be iron.

Either way, based on what books one and two have revealed, Steel can't be the means by which Ruin takes hold of the Inquistors.

Hum, that never really crossed my mind.  I do wonder though, if we are taking Kwaan's words too literally.  Perhaps he didn't mean steel--just metal in general.  But that is an interesting idea.  I say we start stabbing characters with iron spikes to find out.  Come on!  Lets go!
-Legacy of Kain

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »

Hum, that never really crossed my mind.  I do wonder though, if we are taking Kwaan's words too literally.  Perhaps he didn't mean steel--just metal in general.  But that is an interesting idea.  I say we start stabbing characters with iron spikes to find out.  Come on!  Lets go!

Actually, it might have just been metal in general. I just reread that part of the book..."anything not placed in metal cannot be trusted..."

yeah, so, i'm not sure anymore.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2008, 01:18:32 PM »
You know I don't have my book handy but I was almost positive that the quote was "anything not in steel can't be trusted".

You said you read it in the book so I'll take your word on it, it seems to change things a little for me.

The question I have is why would the plate be of Iron and not Steel. What does it matter anyway? Metal is metal. Yes they all do different things allomanticaly but the inquisitors are like mistborn and have use of all metal. Maybe in Hemalurgy it matters what kind of metal is piercing you to allow certain effects. Other than that I don't see what it would matter what kind of metal the plates covering the spikes would be made of.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »
You know I don't have my book handy but I was almost positive that the quote was "anything not in steel can't be trusted".

You said you read it in the book so I'll take your word on it, it seems to change things a little for me.

The question I have is why would the plate be of Iron and not Steel. What does it matter anyway? Metal is metal. Yes they all do different things allomanticaly but the inquisitors are like mistborn and have use of all metal. Maybe in Hemalurgy it matters what kind of metal is piercing you to allow certain effects. Other than that I don't see what it would matter what kind of metal the plates covering the spikes would be made of.

lol.

Actaully its, "i write this in steel, because anything not in metal can't be trusted..."

so that's why i'm confused...

did he think all metals could resist the Ruin but it turns out that steel is an exception....?

he's wrote it in steel, but said METAL could be trusted...?

i think that he is on to something but its hard to tell for sure.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »

The problem with this is that you can't even remember it correctly so any thought done about it would have to be done WHILE you read it, which could cause quite a few problems.

lol.

Actaully its, "i write this in steel, because anything not in metal can't be trusted..."

did he think all metals could resist the Ruin but it turns out that steel is an exception....?

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »

lol.

What he is saying is quite simple, actually.

Anything not written in metal cannot be trusted.

Thus if a source is to be considered trustworthy, it must at a bare minimum be written in metal.

Steel is a metal.  Thus if his record is written in steel, it is possible that it is trustworthy.  By his logic, the same would go for records written in gold or aluminum, but apparently he chose steel.  Maybe it was all he had.  Or maybe there is more logic that we haven't seen.  But based on what he wrote, it seems that he chose steel simply because it was a metal.

That's all those lines mean really.  No need to complicate matters.
Nature hates being reified.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »

lol.

What he is saying is quite simple, actually.

Anything not written in metal cannot be trusted.

Thus if a source is to be considered trustworthy, it must at a bare minimum be written in metal.

Steel is a metal.  Thus if his record is written in steel, it is possible that it is trustworthy.  By his logic, the same would go for records written in gold or aluminum, but apparently he chose steel.  Maybe it was all he had.  Or maybe there is more logic that we haven't seen.  But based on what he wrote, it seems that he chose steel simply because it was a metal.

That's all those lines mean really.  No need to complicate matters.

Then how do you explain the Ruins hold over the STEEL inquisters?

DURRRR....it is complicated--Sanderson made sure of that. ;)
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"