Author Topic: Halloween at the office  (Read 1236 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Halloween at the office
« on: October 29, 2004, 03:08:41 PM »
We do dress up day here. There's even a "parade" of costumes. Best costumes, imo, were some of the guys in manufacturing. Maybe it's racist, but they came in black face, with dreds made out of tubing they had in the shop. They made "bobsleds" out of old wooden crates and trash cans. It was all Cool Runnings. I was impressed.

Myself, I came as Arthur Dent. I even acquired a digital watch just for this purpose, and carried about a towel and a mug (looking for tea) all day. There was all of one person in the building who had a clue about it. They thought with the bathrobe and slippers I was just headed for the shower. The only other signal I could think of would be to make a fish out of rubber or soemthing and wear it on/in my ear. Am I that lame? Or is it the rest of the world.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Halloween at the office
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 03:27:09 PM »
It's the rest of the world.

I do have a complaint about office dress-up days though.  I stopped by the bank and the people behind the counter were a guy dressed up like a pirate, and a girl dressed like a cat.  At the desks were a hockey player, a ski bum, and a girl in a hula skirt.  While the cat outfit was quite attractive, nothing about the place seemed very bank-ish.  It seemed more like a bunch of college kids playing bank, instead of a respectable institution.  It made me a little uneasy.

Then again, like I've said before, I don't like Halloween.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 03:30:57 PM »
yeah, there are some places, like a bank, where it's clearly inappropriate. In our company though, we rarely, if ever, see anyone outside the company for business reasons. It's mostly long distance stuff. Since I'm on the phone, no one knows that I'm in a bathrobe.

Were I behind the desk and you wanted to talk to me about a loan in person, though, that's just clearly unprofessional.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »
Man, if you never see customers, you ought to be in your bathrobe every day.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 04:20:30 PM »
My RPG group is playing a game of Call of Cthulhu on saturday, starting around 8pm (after application of spirits, of course) and most likely running into the wee hours.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:24:07 PM »
I think I agree with HoM in that I don't particularly like it when I show up to an office and everyone I'm interacting with is dressed-up. I think it was two years ago when I got sent to the hospital emergency room and the guy who came in to take a blood sample was dressed up as a vampire. Then there were all the staff members who's costumes made them look in more need than the patients. Funny, but tacky.

Though I did see a cool costume last year. In a clinic I the receptionist had died her hair red and was wearing a "I love Spiderman" button. Subtle, yet clever.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 02:26:52 AM »
My boss wanted management to show unity by all dressing up as Greek gods.  It turned out ok. I braided my and spray-colored it green to be Medusa.  Now I don't know if I can get all the green out.  But it was fun.  My boss was Hades.   ;D
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 10:21:46 AM »
Gorgon and I had a school day like this. Memorable costumes were Gorgon as God, with a Burger King crown and a toga, as well as three jocks who dressed up as three members of Kiss. My AP European History teacher was decked out in full Scottish noble dress, since we were learning about James I of England.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 01:10:58 PM »
In addition, we had several popes, a Cardinal Richelieu, and a very well done Gandalf.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 03:29:13 AM »
One of the girls in our office dressed up as the founder and CEO of the company. It was incredibly freaky. He's in Japan at the moment, so maybe she was safer? The hairstyle, the little under-lip beardlet thingy, the clothes, the specific style of glasses, even the hint of chest hair. Crazy. We had some great costumes, but that one took top prize in the contest.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 01:15:53 PM »
My favorite costume ever was on a little toddler (probably about 2 years old). He had a little green cape and one of those platic gold rings on a string around his neck.

Soooo cute!!
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 02:12:34 AM »
Is it just me, or is there something very disturbing about dressing up a two-year old as a very beleagured hobbit carrying an extremely evil and cursed object?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 04:04:14 AM »
It's just you.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan